1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think people go overboard with labels sometimes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it seems like the LGBT community as a whole doesn't prefer being labeled, but at the same time, we come up with labels that I've never heard anywhere else outside of the community. I still don't recognize some of the labels I see people using on this site sometimes.

What do you think? Do you prefer simpler labels that might not always be 100% accurate or do you try to use extremely precise labels?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think labels are needed sometimes, but I do agree there are so many.

Honestly every human being is different, and regardless of what you are, you won't be the same or have the same preferences as another person in that category. So I see no need to be extremely precise.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gender: precise labels, it's who I am. I don't want to come off as someone I'm not.
    Sexuality: couldn't care less. I like who I like.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think some people can go overboard with labels ,but I prefer someone use an accurate label than just use one that doesn't fit them . Maybe there is more besides just gay lesbian and bisexual I always thought there was different degrees of bisexuality though . Maybe society just needs to learn the new labels , and if someone doesn't want to use a label they shouldn't . I think labels are only important when it comes to dating and sexual encounters and stuff like that . But there not mandatory

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that it should definitely be up to the person. If you want to use precise labels, fine. But if you're fine with using more vague ones, that's fine as well.

The only thing that really gets me is when people try to impose labels on others. I've had people in the LGBT community tell me "everyone is bisexual" and I simply don't believe that and won't be using that label to describe myself.

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since I can't and won't adhere to the personalized definition based off of someone else and who they perceive their own identity as, I'll have to work with language as such and accept the ambiguity inherent in all forms of communication currently available.

TL;DR Can't even be sure that common words are understood in the same way by two people and so yes labels tend to be over-used and overly relied upon.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't believe in the everyone is bisexual myth and don't please know this saying was used to say bisexuality wasn't a great sexuality .:confused:

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes people do, but it doesn't matter to me. Some want to be more specific.

I could say I'm a biromantic bisexual demisexual, but I call myself bisexual now. If one is interested, I'll explain them what I feel. :icon_wink

9. Candace

I don't think so, to be honest. People just want to know how to classify people and know what they are exactly.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just wish people would be more honest when it came to their labels to me if your using one that 's in accurate to what you really are for example if your bisexual with a preference for women but calling yourself a lesbian . To me it says I can't trust you if you can't be honest to tell me if I'm dating you what you are , I'd prefer to go with someone who was honest from the start and just said Yes I'm bisexual but I prefer women or I'm bisexual I only like relationship with women but just sex with men .

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yup, this...

The tools we use to communicate are far from perfect, but what can you expect, knowing all brains' insides are different... Language may also be compared to a virus, and labels are like tiny viruses infecting everyone... A language also imposes a limit on certain feelings that you can express. Some words in certain languages have no "right" translation, only an approximation.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So would you suggest not using words all together ,and just not speak anymore and go back to cave man days? :confused:

#13 stocking, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, not at all, but to be aware of the problem itself would be better than to pretend that language is a perfect tool. If I suggest something is not to go back or to stay where we are now, but something that probably won't become a reality... Some kind of telepatic device, mind to mind... To exchange pure, raw information instead of sounds representing abstract ideas nobody agree 100% about its definition

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wait what telepathic device ?:confused:

I really don't think language is the problem, because I think most languages know the familiar labels pretty well .

For example

heterosexual someone that's only, attracted to the opposite gender

gay a homosexual man or a man that's ,only attracted to his own sex

Lesbian a homosexual woman or a woman, who is only attracted to her own sex

bisexual attracted to both male and females , not always equally by the way just your attracted to both .

asexual a person that does not have sexual attraction but can have romantic attraction to either the same sex or both sexes <----- still people don't understand this one .

Now here's the kicker we have new labels that the world, is just not familiar with such as
    demisexual , pansexual , biromantic , homoromantic and heteromantic . Also others that I saw but do not know .

I don't think the language is the problem, but just that people do not know these labels or what they mean . Some people are just misinformation when it comes to groups of people in that community which the label belongs to . I think society is more the problem than languages .
    I think people just can't stand there are too many labels so they prefer using the easier ones that everyone knows .Let's also not forget we also have labels for different types of gays and lesbians . Language is a tool we use to express ourselves thoughts and ideas take that away and what do you have nothing you can't communicate .

#15 stocking, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. Richie.

I'm bearsexual lol but normally say I'm gay

16. Ryujin

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Having labels be extremely precise makes them less convenient. What's the point of labeling something if you have to explain what it is? Yes, I think that people go overboard with labels sometimes.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [/QUOTE]

wait what telepathic device ?:confused:
    [/QUOTE]

I wish I could invent it :icon_bigg If Tesla was alive, we could give him the question for his birthday...

[/QUOTE]
    Language is a tool we use to express ourselves thoughts and ideas take that away and what do you have nothing you can't communicate .[/QUOTE]

What about this moment when you look at someone, and this someone looks at you back... And you both understand each other... That is communication too, isn't it?

Every society is built upon the meaning that the majority gives to the words (labels) they use, so the language also plays a part in every society's character... Language builds the society. Think about the weight of the media in our society, and what are the media but loudspeakers shouting words...

19. TheStormInside

Gosh, I have been fantasizing about something like this ever since I read "Wrinkle in Time" as a kid and learned about the concept of "Kything."

I think labels are communication tools, and so I find overly complex or obscure labels to be counterproductive in many cases. I feel like if someone needs or wants to label themselves in that manner that's their business of course, but for me I would prefer the most concise way of explaining myself even if it leaves a little room for vagaries. I feel like if I don't know you well enough to get into a conversation about my specific preferences then I don't really owe you more of an explanation of my sexuality beyond what "lesbian" implies, anyway.