1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for people who are good with history

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Ticklish Fish

I just want to ask how is lgbt rights similar or different from women's right. a lot of time i see that gay rights are equated with the slavery/african american rights history part of america where extremist political churches would use bible verses and quotes and other ideology. but what about women's right? is it the same?

if you can provide links for me to read too, that would be great!

2. wolf of fire

I studied history for GCSE and yes it is quite similar, one of the main similarities is work based many women were paid less than men and getting married was a reasonable reason to fire them. Their place and the way they were viewed in society was largely influenced by religion. It is also similar to civil rights as there was a time when no one cared about black people being beaten up, raped or murdered simply because they were black which is also true in some parts of the world for LGBT.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Well, I believe that LGBTQ rights and Women's rights are fighting the same thing. They are fighting gender roles. A woman is forced in to a specific set of gender roles, and LGBTQs are also seen as breaking their gender roles. A woman being forced to live the rest of her life as a housewife is gender inequality. A trans* person being forced to conform to their birth sex is gender inequality. A gay man being told he must date women is gender inequality.

4. Ticklish Fish

2 responses so far, yay!

to elaborate the question, has there been extreme anti-women's right politicians/church extremist who would go as far as having a political platform for being against women's right? or protesting and holding signs? or actually commit murder because of some sexist phobia of women taking over and causing apocalypse?

5. AAASAS

No it's not the same because women have never been denied their own existence like gay people have for centuries. Being a women was never branded a mental health problem, or for delinquents.

African-American rights are very different too.

I think women at least in my country, and at least with people born after 1985 are basically 100% equal, they even have double standards that almost make them superior.

Also a lot of the burden put on women comes from religion, and the burden of Eve on Adam, she did after all get them kicked out of there. This basically set up the stage for women to be seen as inferior.

Also since men are naturally stronger than women, in the wild, men were superior, by only a small fraction and not 100% of the time, so that is basically where the history of it began.

I think this sort of we are stronger mentality, got mixed up with us being more intelligent...etc, and we didn't really see it just as a physical difference and more of a superior difference.

Now we are realizing that it's only physical differences, and that women can basically do the same shit a guy can do and vice versa. We are also throwing away the notion that certain professions are for women only and certain for men only, a lot of women are entering the sciences, and a lot of men take teaching and care giving roles

This whole mentality and reason behind is is completely different from gay people, and from black people. The history and reason for the discrimination to exist is different.

People don't kill someone for being a women in other countries, yes women get targeted for certain things, but it's not punishable by death, and it never has been. Black people have never had to live in a place where they could be murdered for being black, yes black slaves were killed, but there wasn't a law saying being black meant you were automatically killed.

I honestly think the gay struggle is pretty different from others, there are harder parts, and easier parts. At least with being gay you can hide it, women were unable to pretend to be a man to get an education, and black people couldn't pretend to be white to avoid being a slave.

But gay people also can't even be themselves at all without being murdered in some countries, and that is something that women and black people haven't had to go through. They haven't been specifically targeted to be killed just for being there. They also don't have to deny their skin color or sex.

It's all different, being gay is more taboo because it has to do with sex which already sort of is taboo in western society.

#5 AAASAS, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course it's not the same, but there are similarities. For one, women have been frequently regarded as second class citizens with limited capabilities compared to men. It's no coincidence that homophobic attacks on gay men are often focused on their perceived "femininity" in how they look and act. Conversely, I think lesbians are sometimes seen as a threat to straight men, hence the stereotypes that they "hate men" or that feminists are all lesbians.

I disagree with a lot of what WooEEE said on the complete differences. Female infanticide is still rampant in many countries. It wasn't just black slaves who were killed. Lynchings were commonly used to terrorize blacks. There are plenty of stories, even movies, of women cross-dressing to pose as men to get into male-only areas. Likewise, many blacks who were light-skinned would try to pass as white.

7. Hexagon

What WooEEE said on the subject of mental health: being a woman has never been thought of as a mental health problem (except in the case of transgender women), but it's certainly been thought that women are less intelligent, mentally unstable and so on. Research the word hysteria if you need proof.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is fundamentally based on ignorance. Being homosexual is erroneously considered by ignorant people as being a BEHAVIOR, rather than a TRAIT. As a behavior, it is considered a CHOICE that people can make like committing crimes. As a trait it is either inherited genetically or determined in some other way before birth, and thus an immutable property over which the person has no control.

The Constitution says that all citizens have the same rights before the law, and in addition identifies sex and color as traits that are not to be treated differently. It does not yet identify homosexuality as a protected trait so, lacking that, the struggle to A) get it to be recognized as a TRAIT at all, and B) getting that trait identified as protected, are two levels of difficulty. With the public at large just creeping into the majority position of recognizing homosexuality as a trait, it may take more time for the political process to be able to have that trait added to the Constitution as a protected trait, but that is where the process really needs to go, then ALL state laws will have to conform to the Federal law, or be invalidated. The religious and/or homophobic and political assholes of the country will assure that this process takes a long time to get done, just as similar forces delayed women's rights and racial minorities' rights many years ago.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to be in a internal human rights class in high school ,and when I wanted to bring up stuff about women's rights as a human rights violation . My teacher would say it was not important ,and to look for something else because, women don't have to worry about rights anymore because in America we have rights . my teacher is a woman by the way .

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Wow.