1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cosmetic Surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ouzo, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

What do you people think of it?

I feel.. you're appearance is just an outer shell of who you are.. What matters is what's on the inside.

At first I thought people are lying to themselves if they want to change their appearance, but now I feel, its just an enhancement. You're still the same person.

I mean if it makes YOU happy go for it right?

2. Hexagon

In principle, I'm alright with it. No one made us, and we don't have an obligation to stay the way we were born. But I'm also wary of the pressure people can feel to change superficially, and in the end, I just don't know. Do what makes you happy, in the end.

3. Nimun

I agree completely. If someone isn't happy with their appearance, then it is their personal decision on whether they want to change it or not. I personally have thought about plastic surgery and feel I like don't need it to be happy, but who is to say that that's the case for everyone?

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There is nothing wrong with surgery. It's the same thing as a tattoo or a piercing. As long as you are not risking your health, why not?

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I'm totally ok with it. Totally ok.

I was raised in an area where it was popular. I had a procedure done right around age 20. It made me more self-confident and less self-conscious. The inside of me (my thought process, my personality) didn't change much at all as a result of it! I was still me and wouldn't have had it any other way.

My attitude is that the technology is there, so why not take advantage of it?

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think it makes a lot of sense for trans* people who couldn't pass otherwise. I don't really recommend it for general use by most people though.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2014 at 07:10 PM ----------

Also it's good for those who have been disfigured.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not for the general idea of doing it to impress others by looking more attractive, because if you really aren't happy with how you look, no cosmetic surgery will change it and you'll keep trying to get more and more.

However,

I support it if you're just doing it for YOURSELF and to make yourself happier and more confident. Your body, your choice.

Actually, I wanted to get a breast reduction because I don't like having big boobs and they make me feel uncomfortable. When I told a friend they flipped out and gave me the 'love your body, we're all beautiful' speech. It was kind of annoying because I don't think my boobs are ugly and I'm not wanting to shrink them to impress someone. I just feel uncomfortable with them, so why should I be forced to love something I don't?

8. Joelouis

If it's something you want to do, and you can afford it then why not?

I know I would do it.

9. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want cosmetic surgery, I feel as if I need it.

#10 CandyKing, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm of the opinion that you can do whatever the hell you want with your body as long as it's not hurting anyone. It's your body, after all, and nobody else's.

11. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it makes you feel better about yourself, then why not? It can look good if properly done. It's when people get a little overboard with it that there is a problem

12. Randomcloud

People can do what they want and if they're happier with the surgery then good for them. On the other hand I kind of feel uncomfortable when people feel like they have to get surgery or they'll be "ugly"- they can't live without the "perfect nose" whatever that is and it kind of just perpetuates society's ridiculous standards of beauty (and often if you have these deep insecurities about yourself, the nose job or boob job or whatever isn't going to magically make you happy)

I have to admit though, when I see photos of people who have had tons of surgery compared to their "before" pics, I always find the "before" pics to be nicer. So yeah, there's nothing wrong with getting surgery but it is permanent so just be careful and do it for the right reasons :slight_smile:

13. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This. If someone is really unhappy with their appearance, and they can change that through cosmetic surgery, I say why not?. Being unhappy like that can be unhealthy too.
    EDIT: Of course, everything should be done with moderation.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is a strong argument for fully funded cosmetic surgery, in cases where it will significantly improve mental well being. I would rather see NHS/taxpayers money spent on cosmetic surgery procedures that will deliver such an outcome, than on multi-million pound prescription costs for prozac and the like.. or keeping people in therapy.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not against it at all, might want it too one day.

16. Blossom85

Well.. As someone who has a physical disability and surgery would possibly make my hands look more normal.. I choose not to have surgery to change my appearance as they could not guarantee that I would have the same movement in my hands and arms.. If they could guarantee it.. I dunno if my decision would have been different, but god created me as I am.. So I am not changing a thing.. Same as god creates you as you are inside and out.. I don't think anyone in the LBGT community Would agree with going to some kind of camp (not that I think they do anything anyway) even for their family to make you straight for the sake of being more accepted.. So why would you basically do the same thing on the outside?