1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Sep 7, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Immigration has been a huge issue issue and i was wondering what people think of the immigration. Should all the immigrants who come into this country illegally be granted citizenship or all be deported. I think it is hard issue and I personally don't know the right answer. I think it is good to do what everyone has been doing for a hundred years by legally getting into this country through a gradual process so why should we lets these people get a pass and just let them come in and get citizenship. On the other hand I understand the desperation of those who feel the need to flee their country and quickly get into the US without going through the long process. I think the President has no right answer especially with the election coming up and he chose to do what some people in no party is happy with. He chose to wait after the election to wait to act on immigration which republicans call dirty politics and the some democrats call a betrayal of a promise he originally made. Oh the joy of being president and honesty it takes alot for anyone to make a great president in my opinion.

2. Hexagon

Opposed to immigration controls. And countries.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, the US isn't the whole world.

Anyway. Immigration has a lot of complex causes, and it's inhumane to stop them at your own border because you're worried about them taking away your comfort. Most immigrants (poor ones), do not come to take your jobs because they're lazy mooches. The come because the life available in their home country is intolerable, unsafe, and often oppressive.

On top of that, it's always good to remind rich countries that their companies are the ones bribing governments, underpaying workers, preventing changes which damage business deals, and selling their dubiously-harvested/mined/pumped products to the rich countries. So if you have a family of displaced people where their land was "bought," or they were rendered redundant in their already poorly-paying job, or a former coffee picker who lived on less than three dollars a day, criticising them for finding a better life is extraordinarily cruel when it's caused by the global system which caters for rich lifestyles.

And then there are just cases where the lack of laws is too much for them to handle. If you're living in a drug-crime infested region of Columbia (which is improving, though still terrible), your priority isn't going to be to ensure the workplace security of the mythical average American family who are used over and over in anti-immigration campaigns.

Might I remind you how lax immigration was for (whites, of course) in the past two centuries. Most families in the US would not be there if it weren't for that golden opportunity of the 19th-20th centuries. Claiming that the US has a tradition of coming in legally with consent from the local authorities (what an irony given the origins of the modern US), is a very misleading statement, as what passed for restriction in past years was barely more than registering the arrival of immigrants, not having them risk being turned around.

This is a very sensitive issue, and I'd like to end it with the simple fact that immigrants are humans with families, emotion, love, and problems just as much as the comfortably-off in the US and the rest of the rich world.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm disappointed in president Obama , I love him but I'm upset he pushed it back , so many people live in this country came here as kids against their will and some even came legally then what does this country do make them wait and then call them illegals .
    They work in this country , go to school in this country , love this country and how do you repay them . You make them wait 10 to 20 years, most even died never becoming a citizen . It's a shame and what is this country gonna do again pile up a bunch of people and never stop this on going problem .
    There's are better ways to deal with this .

5. SeaSalt

I think that our more well developed countries should be beacons of hope and sancturies for people fleaing wars, poverty and persecution. While I think this I also believe that the UK doesnt quite have the ability to cater for all of these asylum seekers.

I think that for a while we should close our borders to everyone but skilled workers and people seeking asylum from the worst cases. during this slightly more closed time I think that we as a country should sort our shit out. We should ensure that there is no poverty in this country and suitable housing for everyone here before we let more people in. Then when our country is as good as it can get we should have a much more open border.

Then again I also believe that the UK should be a self suficient, technological, haven for everyone seeking the future whilst helping the rest of the world into the future. I want a Britain that believes that one day we can all act for the betterment of all mankind and work for a nice world for everyone. A Britain that will gladly pay our own lives to prevent shit like that which is happening in the middle east and use our political influence to stop shit like the Ukraine war thing. A Britain that can act based on our hightened morality instead of needing to side with who we rely on for rescources.

sorry for the long post. I know that my views are extreme and its worth pointing out that I also believe that Britain should Colonize other plannets and build a space navy.

Sorry for the spelling, I cant be bothered to spell check what Ive written.

I wuv you guysh (*hug*)

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What?

7. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Deport them all. US can't be the escape route for the entire world I'm sorry. We have enough issues & these undocumented folks will eat our social services alive & run us to bankruptcy. These other countries really need to do something to fix themselves, because we can't fix everything, nor let everyone into America either. If Obama takes action on his own regarding immigration I want congress to take it to court.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

When I was attending college, I used to joke with the more right-wing folks, about this. I told them, the moment immigrants quit coming to America, is the moment we need to worry -- because we aren't top of the world anymore.

None of them got the joke, or appreciated the seriousness of it.

Something else to keep in mind. The reason these immigrants are allowed to stay, at least in the United States, is due to businesses using them, as loopholes, to get around various regulations. Also, most immigrants, are willing to do the work that entitled Americans find 'too beneath them'. I'm sure there is some truth to this, in other industrialized countries, too.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a child of immigrants and know too well how the complicated process it is.

It's important to keep in mind that US immigration rules were far from fair or open, notably in it's bias toward Western/Northern Europeans who didn't have to pass any skills/language tests. Race-based quotas were finally stopped only in 1965. I'm not sure about the right course going forward, but I think it's important to look at the history and not use double standards. Then again, "Americans" have been using double standards for a long time, considering the native peoples as tribals whose land rights could be continually disregarded.

I would say there needs to be some middle way of at least getting a legal recognition to keep track of immigrants followed by a much more efficient way of processing applications. I think a guest worker permit is very useful for seasonal migrants who want to work but also want to go back to their home countries.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

Wow, this really makes my blood boil. Why are you here in America? Because you happened to be born here or your parents were American? What skills did your non-American ancestor have when he/she came here? Did he/she have a sponsor or wait many years just to get a green card?

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I am Hispanic, so the things some people said here were awesome! And surprisingly I agree, but one person(who will not be named) is a total ass hole like what?!?! But my family has come here legally, my grandmother was the first to come she came here legally and brought her three daughters one of which was my mom. My mom is a case worker, for legal immigration and we both agree that getting into the country ILLEGALLY is not the way to go, there is a process that should be followed. Those who don't follow said process should be sent back to their home country. I think that people who aren't patient and willing to take the time to enter the USA legally shouldn't be allowed to enter the country.

I am bothered by people who say things like "they steal our jobs" when in reality these "people" have come here to better their lives and are faced with the reality that, life here in the U.S isn't exactly what it's made out to be, Mexicans are denied the some of the rights that citizens are given, we aren't stealing your jobs. It's just that immigrants are willing to do the jobs that Americans are not willing to do.

I have a right to share my opinion, you have the same right to ignore and forget what I have stated :slight_smile:

#10 C06122014, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  11. SeaSalt

Yeah sorry, I got a bit carried away. I meant that if we werent so reliant on other countries for rescources we could make decisions based on what we feel is the right thing to do without having to balance doing the right thing with getting the shit we need

For example -

saying yes to same sex marriage is the right thing to do.

Sitting back and allowing British Civilians to be beheaded would be the wrong thing to do.

I dream of a world where two men can get married and not be beheaded.

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

My family came here the legal way??

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2014 at 07:01 PM ----------

You came here legally. I have no problem with that what the hell. That's the American dream. I have a problem with granting amnesty to 15 million undocumented.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why the adoration for the law?

Are you genuinely so conceited that you think the law is the final argument on everything (in terms of immigration, we're talking about whether the law is just or not, so it can't defend itself), or are you using it as a nice excuse?

14. ok455

I am for anyone coming into any country legally and taking advantage of the dream and also learning the language. I think illegal immigrants should be gathered up and deported and having them apply for citizenship and wait inline. When you have thousands of thousands of people coming into this country that doesn't speak our language and milking our resources does put a strain into our country.

That's why you see many hospitals closing down when they come in to get free care. I know my job laid people off and made a lot of cut backs and them being one of the reasons.

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I agree. I like you

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 100% in favor of a more open border policy.

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I do not support amnesty for illegal immigrants. And it bugs me the way people misrepresent the issue and say things like "this country was founded on immigrants!" Well, okay, other than the people who committed genocide against the Native Americans, most of those immigrants, especially the ones who came in the 19th and early 20th century were legal. No problem with that, although it should be noted that a lot of people still didn't like them at the time! They saw them as low class, crime-causing, and out to steal jobs. And they were LEGAL immigrants. So don't assume that we would automatically feel better about these people if they were legal. That said, that's not what matters. I cannot support treating something illegal like it's nothing. These people should be deported, BUT we should also make it easier to immigrate legally.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What about the ones that came here legally because there are immigrants that still come here legally that get caught up in this mess . :dry:

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes to immigration, yes to an open border policy within the EU, and yes to granting asylum to people displaced by war, famine and persecution. I think rich nations have an obligation to help those who need it.

Immigration has been a hot topic here for a long time - considerably more people are arriving than leaving, and droves of illegal immigrants are trying to enter via Calais in France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29098641

#19 imnotreallysure, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  20. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]NX6u0D4HnbA[/YOUTUBE]