1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nychthemeron, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Should it be called a marriage?

1. Yes.

100 vote(s)
    98.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some supporters of same-sex marriage are against calling it 'marriage' because it goes against the original definition of marriage.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: Well, just realized that the poll might've been unnecessary, but hey, polls are cool.

#1 Nychthemeron, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Hexagon

Marriage gets redefined all the time. Big deal.

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think many people today (straight, gay, or whatever) would want to endure a marriage that is fully consistent with the original definition of marriage.

That doesn't stop straight people from wanting their unions called marriage.

4. idream

idream Guest

I do not know the definition of marriage, but I once heard that its simply an agreement and a promise between two people to support and love one another. So there're are constantly same-sex marriages, they just don't get the rights they deserve.

5. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Marriage is marriage as long as only two people are involved. Even if i were straight inwould not get married to anyone. To me, marriage is just a piece of paper that says that legally everything your spouse has you own and vice versa. If someone really loves me, they will want to stay with me because they really want to, not because they would have to file for divorce and go through paper work

6. Hexagon

Hey, so what would be wrong with polyamorous marriages? Why would they suddenly not be marriage when everything else goes?

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe the original definition came from the Bible. It goes something like "a union between a woman and a man", and a lot of people seem to be crying about it when ten billion other words, like gay, has been changed as well. :rolle:

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It really pisses me off when people argue the traditional definition of something, considering It's usually not what they think it meant back in the day. And I think that if someone really is against calling it 'marriage', they really don't support gay rights to begin with.

Marriage to me is on par with the concept of virginity; straight people saying it can only be lost through heterosexual intercourse because that's what it meant traditionally, BUT, they have no issue with calling men 'virgins' even though It's impossible for a man to be one traditionally as well. You could also say that rape has been redefined since back in the day if a husband forced himself on his wife that 'didn't count'. See where I'm getting with this in regards to marriage? Marriage had to do with a man marrying many wives, marrying girls that haven't even entered puberty yet, and a property arrangement that had more to do with women being sold off instead of love. Do straight people even follow these definitions of marriage? If not, we've already redefined the term.

9. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want the same legal rights and responsibilities, use the same word. Otherwise you're opening it to legal headaches. Also, as others have said, the definition of marriage varies considerably across different cultures and eras. The "original" definition included the idea that the woman was the property of the man. When the culture decided to make them legal equals, it didn't require the creation of a new word.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I don't see any point in making up a new word for it. :confused:

11. AsheTheHuman

:bang:No, it doesn't. Sorry if this seems aggressive, but this is a common misconception. Marriage has been changing and evolving since the days of the early nomadic societies. Christianity (or any other religion, be it Islam, Mormonism, Judaism, etc.) does not have a monopoly on marriage. If they want to have their own ceremony, that's fine, and I will fight for their right to do that. But they should not be allowed to try and halt the progress of LGBT marriage because they personally believe it's wrong. That's selfish and goes against everything we've learned as a society. Sorry for the rant. No hard feelings, here's a hug!(*hug*)<3

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, it's not a problem. Seriously, if I'm misinformed, y'all need to tell me.

I wasn't trying to imply that they had a monopoly over it, I just thought the actual definition was originally from the Bible since I've only seen Christians protesting against it. But then again, I live in a Christian dominated area, so it could be that too.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The same people who say that same sex marriage is destroying the family have had tons of affairs and divorces. Newt Gingrich has had 4 divorces. Oh, and usually the same people who say the gay community is promiscuous and spreading AIDS etc. don't want our community to marry. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

We should call it an "unholy union to destroy all moral decency".

15. AsheTheHuman

I didn't think you were. I just went off on a bit of a tangent. I'm a former Christian in a Christian dominated area, so I'm kind of touchy around the subject, especially if we're talking about religion butting in where they shouldn't, but I digress.(*hug*) I think we should just keep calling it marriage. No need to over complicate things. Marriage should be for people who love each other very much, no matter how many people involved, their gender, or their sexuality.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My hero Paul Erdős said that to be married is to be captured, and to be divorced is to be liberated. He called children epsilons. My current Erdős number is ∞ sadly.

17. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eeeyeah, I'm still calling it marriage. I refuse to let my union with the woman I love to be called anything else! Should er... I get married that is ^^ (I want to someday... And where a totally killer gothic lolita dress... if my hypothetical fiancee lets me get away with it that is ;3) I don't think that for me a domestic partnership is good enough.. Especially not for me! I want to get married!

Had the exact same thought! A polyamorous marriage is a secret fantasy of mine actually x3

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wuggums, nobody's Erdős number is ∞. You know me, and I know someone who knew him. So you're down to 4? That's not too bad.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having same sex unions but not calling them marriage is a violation of the equal protection clause.