1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hate the term 'girlfriend'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fallingdown7, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

And when I say girlfriend, I don't mean in a romantic context describing who you are dating.

What I mean is straight women who have a best friend and introduce their friend as 'my girlfriend' in a strictly platonic way.

My mom does this when talking about her closest friend. She'll say 'My girlfriend and I went out to lunch' or 'My girlfriend I did such and such'. My mom doesn't like women that way and is referring to her BFF. It sounds so stupid to me! I don't understand what's wrong with friend or best friend or why she feels the need to express the gender. If a guy called his friend 'boyfriend' it would imply a gay relationship to society.

When I first came out to my Mom I said the girl I was with was my girlfriend (who she knew personally) and she said 'I know that' (assuming it was strictly platonic). I had to describe actual romantic attraction to her until she understood we were dating based on the term.

Because of this, my ex-girlfriend (different person, very recent) was referred to as a friend by my grandmother and treated like one because of the terminology my Mom uses.

It might not be a big deal but I find it frustrating because it feels like my sexuality is being devalued into something platonic due to this term :dry:

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

my grandma does it and every single time it always catches me off guard for a nanosecond, doesn't bother me but i think it's something only older people do now because younger people are like "THIS IS MY FRIEND WHO IS A GIRL/BOY *nervous sweat NO HOMO*"

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it's very confusing and annoying. :dry:

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree It's something older people mainly only do these days due to the fact that younger crowds might see it in a lesbian way (which is good). I mainly find it annoying since it makes it harder for family members (or whoever I'm dating's family members) to take us seriously.

5. LadyRedRover

I always found that term odd, even before I realized I was a lesbian. I wonder how it got started??

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've never understood it myself. My female friends aren't my girlfriends, they are my friends, and their gender doesn't particularly matter in most conversations.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, it drives me nuts. When I was younger, it made me think there were a lot more lesbians in my life than there were...

8. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I hate it for the reasons already mentioned- I don't want to have to specify that my relationship is romantic.

Frankly, I don't even like "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" for romantic relationships once you're beyond high school age. "This is my mother's boyfriend." He's almost 70 years old - he's not a "boy" anything! I wish "lover" didn't carry a connotation of being illicit. It can be used for any gender and there's no question that the relationship is romantic and/or sexual.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't like the fact that girlfriend can be mistaken for female friend , I like the word but it annoys me that it because I'm a woman the woman I'm dating will be mistaken for my friend. Sometimes I think it's best to just say she's my lover . or she's my baby or something like that sometimes I would say she's my Boo .

10. iHateThinking

I don't hate it, but it is definitely annoying and gets very confusing sometimes, especially if it's a younger crowd. Older folks, well, I dunno. I'm sure it got me as a kid.

I just try to dismiss it as best I can, I guess knowing that a decent portion (?) of girls refer to their female friends as girlfriends.

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hate, no. Extremely irritated, yes.

My family friend uses this all the damn time and I get confused as fuck. Pile that with the fact that she doesn't support the LGBT+ community and you get really frustrated.

I don't know. I don't go around telling people to stop, though. It's a double standard, I guess. :shrug:

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Girlfriend" tends to be used by queer men around one another as a term of endearment, and a way to subvert gender norms. Sort of like how certain terms are off-limits to outsiders, but okay for those within a minority group to use. I'm not sure where it came from, probably straight women using it.

It does seem like a huge double standards, because can you imagine what would happen if some dude said, "My boyfriend and I went out to the movies last night"?

I'm also curious as to how it started.

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know Wikipedia isn't too reliable, but:

apparently

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... Its really confusing, drives me nuts too.. ~.~ I mean you don't hear boys running around calling their male friends "Boyfriend" though that's probably because homophobia is stronger in male circles...(in my experience anyway) But still, its annoying...:dry:

15. Blossom85

I don't say it personally and it doesn't effect me in a good or bad way, I am just kinda neutral on it.. My mum used girlfriend though to my family or friends to say that I am out with or have been out with my best friend whom is a girl.. My family and friends know she is just a platonic friend to me so it doesn't bother me at all.

16. Ruthven

haha same thing with me when my mum has the rare moment of sayin it

it's always struck me as odd yeah

17. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom says it as well lol. I don't know why but I'm having a really wonderful time just imagining guys walking up and calling there best friend boyfriend like how the older women do like "me and my boyfriend went to the arcade or the park or movies or lunch" just imagine the faces of others around you! Priceless! So tempted to say something like this!.....if only I wasn't so socially awkward -sigh-

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Hate is probably too strong of a word on my part, considering it doesn't really offend me to a high level or anything, but I do find it slightly irritating that some people just throw it around especially these days lol

19. idream

idream Guest

My grandma does that!>.< I find it so annoying and it catches me off gaurd everytime.

20. Acm

Acm Guest

It's really confusing, but I usually only hear it from older women