1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there no bisexuals in the movies or TV?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Sep 7, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I have been binge watching Queer as Folk, and it just really irked me that several of the people on there are given the gay/lesbian label when they are most likely bisexual. Yes, it isn't real. It is just upsetting knowing that the media continues to deny our existence. Lindsey, who is in a long term relationship with a woman for almost 10 years, has an affair with a man and enjoys it. Yet, the fact that she might be bisexual is never brought into the picture. Hunter, who is adopted by Michael Novotny and the professor, hustled and slept with men but also has a girlfriend. I am on the last season. And after 77 episodes, we still are excluded. Get some guts, Hollywood. Seriously...

Don't get me wrong I love how the show focuses on same-sex marriage and AIDS etc as well as the man on man action. :slight_smile: I just think we should get some kind of mention.

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Heyyyy how about putting in a spoiler alert!!! I didn't finish reading it because it spoils the show for me :/ sorry

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with this , even in the L word Tina has an affair with a man, and even dated men before she was with Beth, but they never classed her as bisexual they put her as lesbian .
    Alice who was the bisexual character magically becomes lesbian at the end of the series I was so ticked off .
    Though in one show law and order I think had a bisexual female character but she was such a negative stereotype .
    There really needs to be bisexuals in shows , I remember someone said on another topic that the straight world only thinks of gay and straight and not bisexual
    On a side note my mom loved the show queer as folk lol , when the channel logo came out she watched a lot of gay shows even this one about a lesbian sleeping with some dude for friends with benefits .

um how do I put a spoiler alert ?:confused:

#3 stocking, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm bothered by this as well. I do have a lot of bisexual characters though, so I almost wish my stuff would be published so there would be more awareness :frowning2:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Unfortunately, in most mediums, bisexuality is seen as a transitional phase. It's either a heterosexual experimenting, then going back to the straight world, or it's a homosexual experimenting, then going back to the gay world. Bisexuality seems to confuse, even sabotage most socio-political agendas, on both ends of the spectrum.

6. SeaSalt

We get a hefty mention in Game of Thrones with the character Prince Oberyn Martell. He is in a few graphic sex scenes involving orgys with both genders aswell as being a stupidly badass character. They make it very well known that he is Bisexual, not gary or straight.

Plus he's kinda hot
    [​IMG]

Tis a shame he wasnt in the series longer.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This :thumbsup:

it really is a shame though it's 2014 people put some bisexuals on tv

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think there are some in video games though; Dragon Age has a few canon bisexual characters which is nice because there were canon heterosexual ones as well.

9. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The sister in My Idiot Brother was bisexual. Unfortunately it showed her cheating with a man, but she made up with her woman. It's probably hard to depict bisexuals in the media without using stereotypes. But at least that movie did include a bisexual character.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree.

I think that bisexuality challenges categories, and there's also a sense in which there's "not enough time" to explore bisexuality in cinema, as generally speaking, the romantic interest sideplot of many films involve at most one partner.

In this way, not only are multisexualities unexplored, but so is anything that challenges monogamy.

By the way, shout out to OmittedFlunky for reminding me of Prince Oberyn Martell. I think he's a great character, hot of course, and I must admit being more than a little tickled at the fact that his whole character's murderous rage is motivated by the rape of people very close to him. That was a lot more consent-focused than many other parts of the television series.

#10 Pret Allez, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can't they just do some research or find bisexual people and ask them what it's like to be bisexual or multisexual ?:confused:.
    There are so many sites online that you can learn stuff about bisexual people and bisexuality in general and their run by bisexual support groups .

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love it if they did do some research. However, research is hard, and explosions, bad jokes, and stereotypes are easier... :dry:

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's true , you know the sad part this is what they do to people of some races too , it's not til recently that there putting them in non stereotypical roles .

So there are bisexual characters on tv but there just putting them as either gay or straight >.<

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are bisexual characters about...it's just that nobody is discussing bisexuality.

It was the one disappointing aspect to me of "The Kids Are Alright". The movie was *fabulous*. But there was a clear exploration of bisexuality...except bisexuality was never discussed! The one woman finds that her long term partner has been sleeping with a man, and asks "what? so now you're straight?" as if this is the only possible interpretation...and her partner has no explanation or introspection to offer. Great movie...a chance to offer the world some insight into the complexity that bisexuality can entail...and no dice...we must keep bisexuality invisible.

15. iHateThinking

This basically happened in Orange is the New Black as well. It's pretty blatantly stated that Piper Chapman is into both men and women and is bisexual (with her "I like hot men. I like hot women. I like hot people." comment, being both sexually interested in Larry + Alex at some point in the plot, and what have you.) But everyone either categorizes her as 'straight' or 'lesbian' and the word bisexual is never mentioned as a possibility, like, at all. It's pretty bogus, because all the necessary 'evidence' is there but the word is basically some kind of taboo in media and it's rather unnecessary.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's interesting because when I saw that movie I wasn't out and never thought about it that way. Now, I am out and would probably see that movie differently this time. You have a great point.

17. Blossom85

The only bisexual character I have heard of is in the movie dodgeball with Christine Taylor and Vince Vaughn and that wasn't really mentioned till right at the end of the movie, so I think we do need to see more of bisexual characters with a bigger storyline.

18. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may be a little bit jaded, but I think that part of the answer is greed. Popular stereotypes pander to the masses. There is also the factor of who is producing/writing the shows and their perspective.

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, did not mean to spoil it for you.

20. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably because there are no tired, worn out stereotypes for bisexuals, so the writers wouldn't know how to over-exaggerate what they would say in the script, and the actors wouldn't know whether to portray themselves as Richard Simmons or Clint Eastwood.