1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a Fan of Stuff

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Is it bad to be a fan of movies, books, music, and shows?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see why it would be.

3. AsheTheHuman

Of course not! Because I am a fan of a lot of those things, I've been introduced to people and whole communities I never would have met otherwise.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

No, I think it's good to have things that make you happy

5. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a HUGE fan of Zippo Lighters. I've met a lot of new and interesting people who are also zippo collectors and they have taught me more then I could imagine about zippo. Being a fan of stuff gives character to a person I'll say!

6. the haunted

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

what kinda crazy ass thread... its perfectly fine ofcourse~

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean, like get into a fandom? I find fandoms a little weird, and sometimes they almost ruin whatever they're about. Like, for example, I find the MLP-fandom goes a little too far.

9. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Haha NOOOO it's perfectly normal haha :slight_smile: don't worry I'm a big faking it can :grin:

10. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]
    Ahem yes it is acceptable.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

nah its fine and cool actually!!! people throughout human history actually.... like things! they have preferences! they enjoyed things!!

just dont let your own entire identity become based in a single consumer interest.... unless you really like restricting yourself in life then cool, just dont bitch about me or others when we plead the fifth after showing us the sexualized pony babies you drew because holy SHIT

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who the fuck ever told you that? Whoever it was, they must be real fun at parties.

Being a fan of something means you share some of the values it has. I honestly don't think I'd be as much of a bleeding heart, nor would I have ever gotten the concept of language roots (even if I'd never known what they were anyway) if I hadn't gotten into Pokemon. I also wouldn't be as open-minded as I am and willing to see change, if I hadn't gotten into Homestuck.

Being a fan of something changes your perspective, and it always challenges the way you think, challenging how level-headed you are, and making you ask if what is being said is true. There's always a reason for a story, and there's always a reason why there's an audience.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

It sure is bad! I fucking hate enjoying things, the only exception being that I enjoy hating things

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

if you dont like anything, what would you do all day? i guess work cos no one likes that but after? if you didnt like stuff.... i mean would u just sit? stare? what if you liked not liking anything? do you sit around and enjoy thi kong about the stuff you never like?

15. GreyMalkin

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, it's bad to be a fanatic about anything. Is it good to be a religious fan?

16. stormborn

yes! i've become friends with so many people because we were both fans of something :slight_smile:

17. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Being part of a fandom can bring people together. Plus it's just plain fun! I hate to think of the person I might have become had I not discovered Harry Potter, Buffy, and Xena. Probably boring and lacking imagination. Yuck!

18. Randomcloud

Nope. It's only bad if you attack people for not liking the same things you do

19. Blossom85

I don't think it is a bad thing at all.. It is how we become who we are, through our likes and dislikes..

20. IrishEyes1989

Why would there be anything wrong with fandoms? Frankly, they distract a lot of us from the shitty world we live in and allow us to feel temporarily carefree and happy. Obviously every fandom has its nut cases, but they're the exceptions to the rule.