1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A pause for thought - Suicide Prevention Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's 10th September: World Suicide Prevention Day. On this day I always try to pause for a few moments to think about the people out there (younger and older) who are struggling to cope with life, who may be contemplating suicide, particularly members of the LGBT community who are over-represented in the statistics.

I think suicide is too deep and complex an issue to get into a debate about rights and wrongs, so I'm not even going there, but I just thought I'd mention the date to raise a little bit of forum awareness.

More info about World Suicide Prevention Day (and the wider issues):
    http://www.iasp.info/wspd/

From the Huffington Post, some items about LGBT Teen Suicide:
    Gay Teen Suicide

2. tscott

So sad that there a so many young people who take there lives, because of unfeeling parents and bullying.

3. the haunted

I had a friend that committed suicide this summer. I really wish he found happiness before it was too late. Super smart guy. Troubled, but he had a good heart. Wish he would have reached out in his time of need.

4. TheStormInside

Thanks for bringing this to attention, Linco. As someone who has been close to someone who was suicidal, and had suicidal feelings myself in the past, I know this is a very serious issue. I'm glad it's been getting a bit more attention in the media as of late, but this and depression too often go ignored.

5. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it`s tragic that lives are taken like this because so much help is available. I also understand
    that no matter how much help is out there sometimes that's not enough so sad.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had a friend that committed suicide, and i guess it was due to mental illness. they didn't really have any proof on what it was that caused him to do that.

ironically there were two murder suicide that happened in the borough of queens within a 24 hour period for different reasons.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suicide is becoming more and more like a epidemic. My grandpa killed himself suddenly in 1972 due to depression. I known two gay guys in my small hometown that also ended their lives. We need to do more to prevent these deaths by looking at the underlying cause such as mental illness, pstd. and bullying, etc. it is a issue a lot avoid until it affects them and we need a strong national dialogue on this issue. A lot of religious extremists use suicide as a argument that they did it because of their sin and that a disgusting thing. We need mor human rights action in very conservative areas to also combat suicide. The more we reach out to every community to educate and prevent suicide. There are a lot of voices that were or are silence because they are trapped in hostile environments that need to heard. We need a stronger outreach system that Is much more realistic than gets better project. I am the kind of person where a job is not done until everyone benefits and helping o e person out of many is just not good enough for me. The problem in our community we don't reach out to rural areas and that honestly needs to happen.

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is true that rural areas get the worst of things even in this day and age. It really needs to change.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I see more and more of these problems in rural communities or where the person is unable to pay for college or to find a job so they are basically stuck so there needs to be some kind of outreach to help these kids. I know these problems happen in big cities too but I think it is a bigger problem in rural areas.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

That is sadly far from the truth in some respects. Your right that there are a lot of useful services but the lack of outreach in some rural areas leaves some with no hope and in some cases they have no way out. I seen too many instances of that happening growing up in a small town. I even saw one kid come out as gay than due to pressure from church and people he went back to being straight. When he announced that he changed on Facebook his friends praised him it was sickening. I won't be surprised if he ends his life because of repressed feelings. He also blocked me when I messaged him cause he lived in the same area as me.

10. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess it would depend on the area you lived in. I live in a quiet rural area of Derbyshire uk
    not allot of support around hear but I would assume you would find some sort of help online even if it meant traveling to the nearest town or city .