1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you match your stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaylen, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious to see what the stereotypes of your gender identities and sexual orientations where you live are, and how close to them you are.

(Sort of how homosexual men where I live are protrayed as being veeery feminine but also very capable.)

I feel like it would be very interesting to see, so feel free to write down the stereotypes and how much you match them - if at all.

2. AAASAS

I'm Canadian.

I played hockey as a kid and really like it; favourite sport is soccer though. I do not watch pro hockey that often though, only really enjoy highlights.

I love maple syrup, more than the average Canadian, don't thing it's cause I'm Canadian though, more from being a sugar feign.

I actually enjoy the snow sometimes, and like the cold to an extent.

A beaver literally is always 40 feet away from me when at home, one lives in my pond, and is actually started to knock these huge trees down.

I also have been told I have a stereotypical Canadian accent. And love the outdoors.

I'm actually a huge Canadian stereotype, minus being obsessed with pro hockey; though I love playing it.

Don't match too many purely gay stereotypes. I can be dramatic about shit so I guess that, but it really isn't in a gay way, more a stubborn old man. I've been called flamboyant and eccentric a million times, but people also consider me a typical male so I think it's possible to be flamboyant and eccentric and not girly about it, I'm more in a Kramer way; very squirrley.
    I think my form when throwing things is pretty gay at times, besides a football or frisbee, but like general things I sorta look like a moron doing it.

I'm white, don't really know a lot of white stereotypes besides can't dance or play basketball.

For some reason mayonnaise seems like a really white person food.

#2 AAASAS, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  3. jp36

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Gay man, don't really match any of the stereotypes I'm aware of. To be honest, I'm only really aware of them because of the media and the entertainment industry, and that's the only place I've really seen gay guys who do fit the stereotype.

From my (admittedly limited) experience of queer men and women, I've come to the belief that the stereotypes genuinely are almost completely divorced from the reality. If they do occasionally appear to be backed up it's because:

1) Straight people will actively avoid presenting the characteristics of any queer stereotypes because being queer is still, socioculturally speaking, generally seen as a bad thing. So, for example, a straight man who might be predisposed to being 'camp' will suppress it so as to not be seen as gay. But a gay man will consider his 'campness' to be associated with his sexuality, because that is what society tells him, and so when he accepts his sexuality he will also accept his campness, and not try and suppress it. Hence, more gay men will be camp than straight men.

2) Textbook confirmation bias. If you have a camp straight male friend, that doesn't fit into any pattern that you're subconsciously looking out for, so it won't be memorable. A camp gay male friend fits a subconscious pattern, and thus you end up thinking 'well, it does seem like a lot of the gay guys I know are camp - just look at Tony!'

Sorry, that's a pretty long and boring answer for chitchat! Tl;dr: no, not me and not that many other people, as far as I can tell.

4. Queer NOS

I am a strongly gynephiliac female--far enough to the right of the Kinsey Scale to allow me to be casually referred to as a "lesbian," but not quite so far to the right that I can claim myself to be exclusively homosexual.

Lesbian Stereotype #1: Short, boy-cut Hair
    Reality: I have wavy hair that extends a little past my shoulders, though I did have very short hair when I was a young teenager.
    This being said...
    Lesbian Stereotype #1.A: Could Be Mistaken For Male
    Reality: Between an affinity for Dickies-styled shorts, non-form-fitting shirts, a refusal to wear makeup, and excessive body hair that I only shave on certain occasions, this is probably true.

Lesbian Stereotype #2: Loves Sports, Particularly Football, Softball, or Hockey
    Reality: I have very little interest in any sport and have no athletic inclination myself (though I do like to pretend that I can dance, and I enjoy watching others dance).

Lesbian Stereotype #3: Brazen/Bold/Outgoing
    Reality: Typically not; though I have my bold or outgoing moments, I am usually the one slumped over in a corner trying not to make eye contact with anyone, and forget flirting or asking somebody out.

Lesbian Stereotype #4: Is Good At Mechanics/Carpentry/Handiwork
    Reality: I could figure it out if I had to, but I am not usually the one that is called when a pipe needs fixing or when a tire needs changing.

[The following are stereotypes that I have not personally encountered in my own region but that are said to be popular lesbian stereotypes]

Lesbian Stereotype #5: Is A Vegetarian
    Reality: I'm a pescatarian (eats fish, but no red meat or poultry); I was a vegetarian for several months, though, and I once experimented with veganism.

Lesbian Stereotype #6: Loves Cats
    Reality: This is completely and utterly true for me. =^.^=

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a bit feminine: I love musical theater, I often wear skinny jeans, I have no problem wearing pink, I tend to be a bit on the submissive side, etc.

Other than that, there are plenty of people who have assumed I was straight--I don't have a "gay voice" or anything like that. I know several gay people who do--I still don't fully understand where it comes, but I don't have it.

6. Nimun

I'm queer.

I'm a short haired vegan who loves flannel, indie rock, and cats.

No shame.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    transgender
    -
    im gay
    sort of

asian
    -
    im chinese
    noodles
    chopstick
    good grades

gay
    -
    sorta feminine in gender expression
    guys are cute
    wait

american
    -
    stupid
    loud
    obnoxious
    likes to eat junk food
    ignorant
    oblivious
    search up 'american stereotypes'

human
    -
    ha aha i'm a piece of shit
    jk i'm a human

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering my parents are from India and I grew up in Oklahoma, no, I don't think I match most stereotypes besides being male. I think people even disregard my feminine traits as just part of being Indian. I fit some Indian stereotypes like being a nerd and into science.

9. the haunted

I'm a woman...
    - Bad driver
    - I like to go shopping
    - I like to gossip

I'm a lady lover/gay...
    - I love cats
    - I don't like dresses, skirts, and heels
    - I like camping and hiking
    - I dream of turning out a straight girl
    - Major tomboy as a kid
    - I love Tegan & Sara and The L Word
    - Flannels, button-ups, v-necks, beanies...
    - I love musicals

I'm a Texan...
    - I love sweet tea
    - I say y'all
    - I have ridden a horse. In show, actually.
    - Lots of Texas pride
    - Grew up in a conservative, Christian, home (I, however, am neither of those things)
    - I drove a truck at one point

College kid...
    - I love to drink and play drinking games
    - I run on coffee
    - Libertarian
    - Smot Poker
    - I too enjoy kissing girls haha

White girl...
    - Starbucks!
    - Privileged
    - Suburban dweller

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know, I'm still trying to find out what I am...

11. SomeLeviathan

caveat to this post being stereotype threat and all that.

I'm pan, but don't really conform to any of those stereotypes about bi people.

I'm neutrois but AMAB, I do'nt like sports, I don't like cars, I don't like trucks, I don't like "boy things" whatever those are. I'm in touch with my feelings, I like reading, I think deeply about issues, philosophical and otherwise.

I'm a "nerd" insofar as I love philosophy and play various baord games, but I'm not a neckbeard/fedora wearer/etc.

I'm passionate about social jsutice, but I don't have a tumblr.

I'm an American but a vegetarian and I don't like guns or quasi-nationalism.

white person, I can't dance.

#11 SomeLeviathan, Sep 10, 2014
  12. Acm

Acm Guest

Transgender:
    most of the trans stereotypes I can think of are just offensive so I don't think I fit any

Male:
    have trouble dealing with my emotions, kind of a gross slob, immature and crude sometimes

Gay:
    like shopping, like clothes, one of my friends that I'm not even out to says I act like a gay man so I guess I do match

White:
    can't dance, can't eat very spicy food

American:
    eat junk food, sort of pushy and obnoxious sometimes

13. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting question. Let's think about this.

I'm a teenage girl (female) so:
    -Cakes makeup on: I only wore makeup once and that was for our school's ball. Even so - it wasn't caked on.
    -Suck at driving: I only drove a car once but even then I was OK at it.
    -All girls do is whine and complain: Am I doing that now? :confused: I enjoy logical conversations and barely ever whine or complain. In fact - when my peers whine or complain; I promptly begin to ignore them.
    -All girls do is text: I barely ever text. Facebook message yes - but I am not glued to my phone. It's most common use is music player which puts it on shuffle and in my pocket (until I get my shuffle player synced again at least).
    -All girls photos on Facebook are edited: I don't have photos of myself as profile pictures but the ones I do have as myself are not edited.
    -If a girl gets emotional, all she does is cuts and cries: No - I write. I write until the feelings are out.

So now for the lesbian stereotypes: I had to do some research for this one.
    -All lesbians want to be men: I don't want nor desire to be a man.
    -All lesbians are butch/femme: I dress like an agender or androgynous (Even though it pisses my mother off).
    -All lesbians were abused as children: No.
    -All lesbians love sports: I despise sports :lol:
    -All lesbians have short hair: I do :icon_bigg
    -Lesbians love cats: I do :thumbsup:

I think this is long enough. So to summarize:
    Stereotypes are bullshit :***: Nobody is going to fit all of them. :eusa_clap

(!)

14. Gay Stereotypes : I'm kind of feminine. I love the color pink, I cry at sad movies, and I like shopping, plus people say I have a slight gay accent.

Male stereotypes : I suck at expression emotions. Like, a lot. I can't think of any others.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm a trans guy. Not aware of many stereotypes for trans guys, so if you have anymore please tell me and I will say wether that is true for me or not.

One I do know is that "all trans guys are super manly, like girls, cut their hair real short etc." one.
    Well, I have short hair now (though not short like many guys in America, seriously they cut their hair so short it's ridiculous.) But I'm growing it out longer, about shoulder length.
    I also wear makeup, especially lipstick. As well as the very occasional skirt.

If and when I go on T, and the changes such as voice and masculinisation of the face occur, or/and when I have top surgery, I plan to wear slightly more "feminine" clothing again, like basically tight black goth/fetish-y stuff

Also I'm gay. I like guys. Pretty ones, but still guys.

So yeah. Always take pride in myself for not conforming with society's expectations.

Edit: Ah, almost forgot. Gay stereotypes!

Flamboyant: Rarely. But it comes out, especially when presented with certain hot Visual Kei guys "Oh he fineeee~ *flamboyant hand movements*" haha

Girly in other ways: Nope

Good with fashion: Yep, but usually only alternative styles.

#15 NingyoBroken, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  16. Dakeli27

I don't know... I kind of fit the stereotype for the feminine gay guy, and definitely the movie cliche of the gay guy who's great at giving advice, but I don't really fit any bi stereotypes I've heard of, and I haven't heard any pan stereotypes yet.

#16 Dakeli27, Sep 10, 2014
  17. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Outwardly, I do not fit the gay stereotype. Fashion? No, thanks...I could care less about it. My voice isn't feminine, either (although I can fake it very well.) Inwardly, though...I love interior design, I listen to show tunes, I love candles, I love cleaning, I hate sports...my personality is more stereotypical of a gay man than I would like to admit.

18. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bisexual stereotypes I don't match. I am not confused obviously. I'm not straight and experimenting. I am not lesbian and in denial. I am not promiscuous. I love to be in a comitted relationship. Even though I have a girlfriend and am in a comitted relationship with a man, my relationship isn't really ''open''. All parties are aware of the situation, consenting, and content. And I don't sleep around. Just with one woman and one man. But I have been in truly manogomous relationships in the past and have no problem with it. Gender...yeah I do fit that stereotype. I am a real girly girl.

19. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read all of these, and a few people mentioned that stereotypes are offensive and limiting - I know. But, at the same time, they exist. This is more like proving that they don't exist, and that people are unique, but also that at times there is an aspect of truth.

That being said, please keep the responses coming!

20. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bit more feminine than masculine I'd say but I'm not particularly flamboyant either.

The first guy to openly say he was gay came out a few months later as trans MtF so most people in my pretty small town thought ever gay guy was just a straight woman in disguise, so I had to clear a few things up when I came out!