1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September 11th Remembrance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pret Allez, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fourty-one years ago today, the Chilean military and police forces overthrew the civilian government. The US supported the coup d'état, and it culminated in the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet, whose administration murdered, interned and tortured many people. Egregious human rights violations were over 100,000.

History books used to brainwash our children into the ideology of the State and to perpetuate the ahistorical narrative of the US as world benefactor mention this event only in passing, either failing to mention the human rights violations committed by his government or excusing them as a necessary Cold War action.

That's my patriotism for the day.

#1 Pret Allez, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Aquilo

Remembering September 11th makes good sense I think and not only from the perspective of remembering those who died directly by those attacks. It's one of the most important historic events of this century. This one attack has managed to introduce many repressive laws in democracies over the world, gave legitimacy for even more human right abuses by the USA and gave the Bush administration the casus belli to start two wars, which have until now caused civil wars, millions of refugees and directly caused more deaths than in the terrorist attack which caused all this.

Before the attacks some people thought there would be a 'Pax Americana' after the Soviet Union had fallen. But after these attacks there was the failed War on Terror and the USA isn't any more regarded as the sole invincible superpower it was expected to be.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

tropico 4 taught me about pinochet

on the fence about tropico 5 tbh

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not going to pretend I remembered, because I didn't. But every year, we watch documentaries on it. Sometimes, I seek them out myself. But all the time, it just shows how harsh reality is.

That sort of thing could happen to anyone. At any time. And that, that's terrifying and eye-opening, because most of us, including me, would never even think about it or maybe not even care before it happens.

I hope the victims and affected are able to find some peace. (*hug*)

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure which gave me more of a smirk - Pret's content or Aquilo's disregard of Pret's content (that or took the underlying intent and just went with it - I can't tell). :grin:

6. willycubed28

I remember where I was. I was in 9th grade in my world history class. Imagine that. Something that will always be remembered as a part of our history...I was learning about history.

7. Vaettfang

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every innocent life that is murdered is equal in value. To say one act of terror should be judged and compared to another leads to a slippery slope. Maybe I'm more sensitive because I'm from Oklahoma City and remember the horror of the April 19 bombing even though I was a child. Would you be as strident to say the same things to a 9/11/2001 survivor?

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    /coughsortofguiltyofthistoocough

But what I said still stands.

10. KayJay

It was definitely a tragedy, no one can deny that. It's just weird how everyone is supposed to remember it but on days of other tragedies no one seems to care. Hell, on 4/20 people celebrate pot and stuff but no one much wants to remember Colimbine.

11. Ryujin

Bullshit. The act of terror that causes more terror is worse than the one which causes less. What slippery slope does it lead to? Us finding a worse act to be worse?

Sorry. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, that just annoyed me. Right now I'm remembering that Richard Dawkins tweet...

12. Hexagon

I never knew that was today.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That depends on how you define what is "more terror." Terror depends on a person's viewpoint.

14. Ryujin

I'm not talking about individual terror. I'm talking about the population as a whole. The more people affected by said incident, the worse the incident is considered. The Boston Bombing was bad and hurt people and killed them but 9/11 destroyed several very important buildings, killed many more people and affected the economy making it a worse incident. They are both bad but one is worse.

15. willycubed28

I disagree with you. Terrorist attacks are meant to instill terror, and fear into people's lives. Yes, the attacks we had on September 11, 2001 were horrible, but just because many more people lost there life does not mean that it was worse! The Boston Bombing instilled fear and terror in a lot of people's lives. People lost their life and limbs because of it. Now, could you imagine making that kind of statement to a friend, family member who lost someone on that day of the bombing or to someone who lost their limb? Do you think they would appreciate that statement or even agree with you? I don't think so.

16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such an edgy thread!

17. AAASAS

I'm from Canada, but live in Southern Ontario, which actually is relatively close to New York City; could drive there in like 7.5 hours. My province borders New York State and the border is about 1.5 hours away. So I feel like this part of Canada kind of took it harder because it was so close and a lot of people here have been to New York City, and most people have been to New York State. There are close economic and family ties between the two as well.

So it was sort of a big deal, especially since the border was clogged up, and tons of Americans were landed in Canada, or crossed the border to Canada that day.

I was in Grade 6, some kid came to class late at around 9:30; we are the same Time Zone as New York too, and said that New York City was under attack. He said planes are flying into buildings....etc. My whole class freaked out, we all thought that a war was starting, the kid obvious exaggerated everything because he made it seem like plane after plane was crashing into them.

Then another teacher about 2 minutes after it happened came to our class to talk to our teacher; she must've told her. Then our teacher told us what was happened after like 15 minutes of talking to our teacher. And we sort of just discussed it the whole day. It was like a therapy class ha. And then the next day at school we did the vow of silence or whatever, and then discussed it further. It was really weird, I'm in a different country, but since it was so close to home I guess it was actually a big deal. I went home that day, and watched the third tower burning, and just the aftermath and couldn't believe it.

I don't think many Americans know how affected a lot of Canadians were, my mom was crying, a lot of people were upset. And that's all there was on the News for like an entire month. I actually mean that too, even the kids networks were only playing live news stream of the latest updates. A lot of people here were convinced that the U.S was going to war and Canada would be dragged into it. A lot of people also thought that Canada would be next, and it never happened though there were several attempts thwarted. The latest one involved almost 20 people that were going to bomb buildings in Toronto and Ottawa; my province.

So ya, it was sort of chaotic here even though I'm in a different country, Canadians, or at least Ontarians see New Yorkers as the same basically; and we are very similar, so it just was scarier than if it had happen to a country a lot different from us. New York State and Ontario have more similarities than New York and the majority of the Southern or Western united states.That doesn't mean loss of life is justified when you don't know the people, but it tends to hit home a lot harder when it happens to people who are culturally the same as you, in places that you are very familiar with, and when it happens relatively close. You feel a lot more vulnerable when it happens basically in your backyard almost.

#17 AAASAS, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone, my point here isn't to say that we need to stop remembering September 11, 2001. My point here is that we need to broaden remembrance. Before September 11, 2001, there was September 11, 1973.

Traditionally, September 11th remembrance has been a lot of flag waving and worshipping the State, which masquerades as caring about the families of those who lost their lives in the Twin Tower Attacks. I have spent some time in Canada, long enough to know the difference between Veteran's Day in the US and Remembrance Day in Canada. Canadians in my experience are more communitarian and sensible about their remembrance days. For them, it was just a somber event; people made donations to veterans' organizations, but I never got the sense that everyone had better rally around the military, the flag, and the State, or else. Unfortunately, we have the exact opposite attitude here in the US. It's impossible to remember anything without the grieving being coopted by the State into a warmongering agenda or a rehash of why the PATRIOT Act was good, and we need to have our FISA courts rubber stamp everything.

There's no use remembering a tragedy if we can't put into perspective how we want to live and what our aspirations are as a national community.

So my point in this thread wasn't to try and be some political hipster: "look at this random historical event I pulled out of my ass, everyone!" Rather, it's to point out that as a nation, we have made others suffer as we have suffered. My hope is that people will then think about strengthening our democratic institutions and our body politic as well as how to respect other people's democratic institutions.

Are we of a nation that can look to its own past, but only when it's self-serving? Or are we of a nation that looks critically at its actions and endeavors not to repeat its darkest chapters.

19. Ryujin

I'd like to point out that, again, individual terror is individual. When "ranking" them we have to look at the population as a whole. 9/11 instilled more terror into the populations of the world than the Boston Bombing. 9/11 terrified people all over the planet whereas the Boston Bombing may have had a little effect but it was less organised and only affected the surrounding area very strongly. What was felt over where I am was not fear but sadness and a wish to help. 9/11 scared people everywhere because organised terrorists could do that to any country.

20. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is the US really to blame though for the actions of the dictator? Yes they supported the coup d'état, but were they really aware that he was going to violate human rights before he came into power? I don't really know much on the subject but that's what it seems like. That's kind of like blaming France and Britian for World War 2 and the holocaust because the treaty of Versailles paved the way for hitler to come to power.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong