1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your opinion on people who romanticize things that hurt? (etc. Depression)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yanna, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Yanna

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel totaly disgusted by it and i don't know why people try to even make these.

What's the purpose i mean ?
    They've made this into a new trend or something... I really hate it >< :confused::icon_sad:

2. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If by doing that sort of thing it helps them then I have no issues with it but I do start to have an issue with that sort of stuff when it becomes nothing more than a tool to gain attention and a way to feed their starved egos.

So, for me, it depends on the situation.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a real issue in psychology of people that essentially exaggerate or fake an issue as well as people that acquire or feign learned helplessness. It is hard to be sure of the real ones from the fake. Anybody that thinks that psychological issues are something to seriously poke fun at or conflate into something heroic or romantic should think about the concept ethically.

4. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    same, the problem is when that becomes a "trend" so people do it without being aware why are they doing it, just because everybody is doing it aswell.

I think most people is very often confused with what depression, sadness, nostalgia is, all seem the same but they aren't.
    The problem is since everyone is different, there's people that could like something sad, because they find it deep/philosophical, but they tend to become nostalgic themselves and they can fall into depression without even noticing it.

5. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    think people who use it purely to gain attention need to get a life? they would never understand how mental illness affects your life .

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

ppl do this?

7. Fruit Topping

Well sometimes you cant stop it. People feel bad about everything

8. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my reaction exactly..... that sounds a bit wrong.

9. AAASAS

I dont know if people really romanticize it as a whole. There are subcultures that do, like goths, emos....etc.

Most people who have experienced depression fucking hate it and think it's awful, so I can't really see someone who actually is depressed glorifying their suffering.

The only thing that could be apositive for depression is possibly the thoughts that can come with it. I've had really deep thoughts about life, and just existence in general because of my depression, and it sort of has shaped my views in a positive way and made me way more accepting of being gay....etc.

10. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Attention seekers or they get so sucked into their negativity they don't realize how far they've sunk.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There is a certain beauty to sadness...

... if it is overcome. The same can be said of depression, or anything, that holds one down, too, being overcome. It demonstrates the resiliency of the human spirit, to keep on moving, despite hardships. This is why so many people gravitate towards the underdog story, or why folks find the anti-hero so interesting.

Also, it can work as a defense or coping mechanism. If you can find beauty, in pain, then it can be easier to deal with. Some individuals do this, because it's just a method for dealing with their own issues, be they emotional or mental.

Personally, I think there is a romantic element to the end result of suffering, because you have endured, learned, become stronger, and can finally be put at ease. That isn't to say I find people suffering as romantic, but there is a level of interest, certainly, in wanting to see them overcome and become.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't like it, ignore it?

Seriously, who cares? Live and let live.

13. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Melancholy. There is a certain romance in it and darkness. It creates art mostly.

As long as it is just a blue. But you mentioned depression, it is mental illness, it is not good to romanticize it.

14. Randomcloud

Really REALLY annoying. I have Bipolar II (or I guess "had" since the symptoms are under control) and when I see someone post like pictures of cut arms or a noose or something and add some song lyrics, obviously trying to make self harm and mental health issues seem "artistic" and "beautiful", well it makes me sick. To me it's like someone posting a picture of cancer cells and romanticising it tbh

15. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People I've talked to who have Instagrams/Tumblrs/Twitters etc. who post those types of things always claim that it helps them feel better because it is a way that they can let out their emotions and interact with other people who are going through the same thing. I always tell them that they should delete these accounts if they actually want to get better, but they never listen. People who suffer with illnesses such as depression, anxiety, and eating disorders are only adding to their illness and making it worse by adding these thoughts into their heads and triggering themselves. It isn't going to help them change their mindset and think healthier thoughts. Being someone who is in treatment for depression and anxiety and has struggled with self harm in the past, I would know that. Also, it's common sense that exposure to negativity is only going to make you become more negative.

I always try explain this to people who romanticize these things but they insist that I'm wrong and that it helps them feel better.