1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberals and celibacy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Reptillian

I have a question which is better directed at liberals who looks at sexuality, so, I asked here for this question as a LGBT forum comes close. The question is that do liberals support celebrating celibacy? Are there any liberal organizations that do? And no, I'm not a liberal and neither I am conservative, I really do not care for politics. Just had to ask this out of curiousity.

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yes, plenty of us do as long as It's one's own personal choice. I personally am celibate and plan to die that way, but I consider myself liberal about other people's sexual choices and don't care what they do.

3. AKTodd

Liberals generally celebrate personal choice, so if someone chooses to be celibate, that's their choice. I'm not really seeing what the point of celebrating celibacy in and of itself would be.

Todd

4. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well they do respect celibacy as one's choice of life or the need to live such life, but why would you celebrate celibacy? *confused*

I can imagine shallow people celebrating for every sex they have with a different person as sort of achievement, but celibacy? Anyway, nothing against it. :wink:

5. Lipstick Leuger

Liberals, actually are for personal choice, not for having people forced one way or another. Why would they have problems with either choice?

6. rmds

I consider myself mostly liberal and really couldn't care less what people do (or don't do) in their sex life. As long as they're not hurting anyone, judging anyone, or shoving their opinion down my throat, I really don't care. To each their own.

7. As a left-winger, I wouldn't care at all. It's your own life.

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i identify, politically, as a fucker. that said my opinion is that i dont give a shit what people do or dont do as long as it isnt abusive

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find this question to be rather odd.

To be socially liberal means to respect the principal of freedom of choice, which means that if someone chooses to be celibate, then we respect that. "Celebrating" is probably not the correct word, however.

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I used to be a liberal, there weren't any pro-celibacy resources that I knew of. I'm actually a little surprised with the other answers on this thread. I've always gotten the impression that liberals weren't okay with celibacy, rather it being the republicans who were. Most of liberals I knew/know, probably would have difficulty with accepting celibacy.

11. Hexagon

I'm not a liberal, but hey. To answer the question, a person is perfectly entitled to be celibate. There's nothing wrong with either having or not having sex. I'll neither celebrate nor condemn it.

12. Aquilo

Depends on how you define 'celebrating'.

I don't think liberals in general actually 'celebrate' celibacy as doing that would imply that they would like giving education to kids, teens and young adults why celibacy is good and sex is bad.

Not that being celibate is bad according to liberalism, but putting pressure on people so that it's the only realistic option is bad.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the thing is that liberals generally--in the absence of a compelling counterinterest--are in favor of personal freedom. So if you choose celibacy for yourself awesome; if you try to choose it for someone else, not so awesome.

14. Rainbow Girl

Left-wing people are about personal choice. I can't speak for all left-wing people but for me and a lot of others I know, we accept celibacy as a choice as long as that's what a person wants, but recognized that it's not a realistic goal to except everyone to be celibate nor should everyone forced to be or judged for the choice not be celibate . As a result of that I believe there should be easy access to conterception and sex education with accurate information about all choices.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And why would they not be okay with it? Where is the evidence that liberals feel that everyone needs to have sex and be in a relationship?

What we're generally not okay with is the idea that abstinence-only sex education is valid, in addition to the idea that celibacy is somehow a more noble choice than not being celibate.

#15 MintberryCrunch, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

In my experience, liberals are only against celibacy when It's forced (abstinence only education), done for unhealthy reasons, etc. To be against the personal IDEA of celibacy though goes against everything being liberal stands for. Liberal means 'freedom' and therefore, in order to be a proper liberal you must stand for freedom of choice.

In my opinion, It's kind of like saying you're pro-choice, but you think It's wrong for a woman to want to have a baby and you should force her to have an abortion. Which isn't really pro-choice. Pro-life people want to force birth, while pro-choice people have to keep both options available. This is sort of the same thing. Conservatives want to force people to be abstinent, but liberals need to keep options open for both because we support freedom.

I choose to be celibate (for life). And I'm a liberal, because despite my choice- I fully support the right to have sex, have casual sex, have multiple partners, etc. But that's not how I live my life and I don't want that forced on me or 'celebrated' as the only choice. That would go against what choice means.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm a liberal, and I think if someone decides to be celibate there is nothing wrong with it. Personally I would consider myself mostly chaste(not celibate, there is a difference).