1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual preference vs. orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pie, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Pie

Pie Guest

My philosophy teacher was talking about equality the other day and he said everyone should be equal regardless of their sexual preference. I was about to say ":dry: Oh shut up, it's not a choice" but a friend (who's lesbian) asked the teacher about before I could.
    The teacher was kind of in a bad position so he corrected himself and said sexual orientation instead. He's was rather uncomfortable about what he just said and was talking gibberish. He obviously didn't want to start an argument about sexuality.

This got me thinking, how would you react if someone said sexual preference instead of orientation?

2. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd get very upset, but I probably wouldn't say anything. It's not uncommon to hear homophobic jokes or sexual preference where I live. So I have to deal with that almost everyday. :dry:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends. In this case, the teacher was talking about equality, right? So why be annoying and correct him in front of everyone? In this case, i would agree with him or just stay quiet. Peraphs, after the end of the class, i would speak to the teacher privately: "Hey, thanks for supporting equality, just remember the correct term is "orientation", not "preference"!

Of course, people need to learn eventually that this isn't about "choice", but, if someone already supports equality (even if they think it is a choice), being annoying and getting mad at the person isn't going to help.

Being friendly and avoiding correcting people that accept equality (one way or the other) in front of everyone goes a long way.

I would agree with your friend's attitude if the teacher was talking about how he was AGAINST equality. Then i don't think it would be bad to correct him in front of everyone.

4. rmds

I guess I don't get that upset when people say sexual preference. It's not like they're saying "sexual choice" or "chosen lifestyle." The lifestyle one bothers me. I guess "preference" doesn't as much because, yeah, it's true. I do prefer to be with girls. Because I'm a lesbian. :thumbsup:

5. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I dont see how 'sexual preference' is offensive... it does not indicate its a choice at all. Its true...you prefer the same sex.

6. Hexagon

I wouldn't care.

7. Fruit Topping

I would be upset but wouldnt say anything. Why start something that so many people know little about

8. Pie

Pie Guest

You are right blueberrykisses, "preference" doesn't imply "choice" but if feels as if it did. I don't know why it feels that way to me though. In fact, if I had to debate the use of that term with my teacher, I wouldn't know how to explain it.

When the subject of LGBTs is brought up in a conversation, I try to spot every little "mistake" people make. Like using "preference" instead of "orientation". I'm probably a bit too critical though.

9. soulcatcher

Sexual orientation is more inclusive.

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't see why it would upset me... I always thought of "sexual preference" and "sexual orientation" as having the same basic meaning.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Personally, I have no issue with it.

That said...

I can see why, 'sexual preference' is potentially problematic. It leaves a little wiggle room, for folks to say, even if it is a preference, you can still choose to "be ___".

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I am not offended by it

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, "sexual preference" does not imply choice. Think about the other ways in which we use the word "preference". We talk about "preference" when it comes to what someone finds attractive: race, body type, hair color, etc. we use it when we talk about someone's favorite foods, etc. Do we choose what food we like and what body type we find attractive? No, so the same applies to the gender we're attracted to. It's both a preference and an orientation.

15. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I agree with this

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I use the term sexual preference all the time. I also say I have a preference for girls who wear glasses, am I choosing to like that or is it a part of my lifestyle? No. Preferences aren't choices.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought it meant the same thing.:confused:

19. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone