1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My opinion on suicide

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Sep 13, 2014.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have personally suffered with suicidal thoughts up till very recently. I feel as if even though things are not perfect I have left that suicidal place.

When your in that really bad place where you feel like the world has ended and your really hurting there are three options:

Neutral option: Carry on drifting though life not doing much but feel sorry for yourself.

Hard option: Commit suicide. It does take balls to end your own life.

Hardest option: Fight. Fight for what you want. Fight to get to where you want to get to. Get up early everyday and work hard. Do the maximum you can do, not the minimum. This takes even more balls than suicide.

One day I got really low. I felt suicidal. But suddenly a flash on inspiration come upon me. I realized that feeling sorry for myself was not going to get me anywhere. That being some sort of victim was no way to live. So I decided to fight till I literally could no more. I chose the third option. It was hard getting up at 6am to work when your deep in depression. But hard is closer to easy than it is to impossible. I feel now that nothing can stop me and I will go on to do great things. Now I have climbed out of depression and can continue rising to greatness.

Suicidal thoughts and depression don't need pity. Pity gets you nowhere. It needs actions. When your suicidal sometimes you think "I'll go one more day and maybe things will be better" but it won't get magically better. But you can decide to be better. You can decide to have a good day in terms of effort and work. And when you better yourself ever day eventually things will not only get better but will get awesome.

2. CloudyEver

I jump between neutral and hardest. I mostly am a hardest person. I work hard and focus on the future. But some days are like today, where I NEED to acknowledge what I'm going through and a have a little pity party so that I can continue on living as I normally do. you can keep pushing, but if you don't let it out sometimes, it will force its way out, and that's even worse. I'm not suicidal, but I do speak from a depressed standpoint, and the two are remarkably similar and connected in mindset.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i decided to be better and have good days but neither have happened long-term and i again want to die every five days or so

ride the high bro, i hope it's permanent

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I try my best to do things the hardest way and keep trying even though it's hard and it doesn't feel easy, I just hope it all works out some day

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever I try to commit suicide, I start laughing. It never works.

Because, even though I feel hopeless, something suspiciously sounding like myself screams at me, "Look at you! What the fuck are you doing? Have you already forgotten?"

And, yeah, sometimes I forget. But looking at myself makes me realize that, yes, I have the strength to get through this, and one day, everything will be OK.

It really will be.

Besides, if I kill myself, I won't be able to feel happy anymore. I won't even be able to remember how happiness felt like.

In any case, for all those who are reading or have posted, stay strong, because I know you can.

(*hug*)

6. Hexagon

I've been suicidal before. In fact, I planned it, and attempted it. People say suicide is selfish or weak. But on the other end, I don't see it that way. Now, I can see how much my suicide would have hurt people, particularly my parents. Chances are they'd still be hurting now, that my death would have ruined their lives. But when I was wanting to kill myself, I didn't think that was true. When you're hurting like that, it's hard to look beyond yourself and empathise with others, particularly when they're contributing to the way you're feeling. Sometimes it can feel like you're actually doing the world a favour.

So I don't think suicide is selfish or weak. I'm not saying that it's a good idea, just that I can empathise. It's better to keep on fighting. But I'm not going to hold an attempt against someone.

7. rmds

I wish that everyone who's at that final moment, where they decide to get up from whatever they're doing and go kill themselves, could read this.

The thing that's always stuck in my head about suicide is that it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. And it is temporary. Everyone has problems. Everyone goes through depression. I don't know one single person who hasn't, at one point or another, contemplated ending their life. But, like you said, I wish that all the suicidal people in the world could remember how much they'll be missing out on.

There's this quote, I believe it was Voltaire, who said, "I've wanted to kill myself a hundred times, but somehow I'm still in love with life." And that's how I've always felt.

8. TheStormInside

Oddly, when I've been at my lowest the thing that most kept me from actually trying to commit suicide was the fear of failure. Having to live with the consequences of whatever method I'd tried and may not have succeeded with. That's just an example of my screwed up thought process... eh? Won't even be able to succeed in killing myself. And that death would have been preferable if it could be attained. :eusa_doh: .

I do recall having a "moment" years ago like gibson has described, here. I quite literally was envisioning myself at the bottom of a well, the image is still clear in my mind. I had realized I'd hit bottom, and I had two choices: stay there and rot while I let things crumble around me, or make the decision to take that painful, difficult climb out. Fortunately I chose the latter.

This is very true for me, too. I have learned that sometimes I just need to let myself collapse into darkness and sloth for a day or so to just take a break. Otherwise I completely burn out, and that's much worse.

9. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its hard for me to understand suicide. I was quite badly bullied etc over the years at school, I never felt any feelings of suicide. Never crossed my mind.

To be contentious, for me looking in at people who do it, and for most people who've never even thought about it, we are probably on the wrong side of sympathetic. For example, take an extreme. A woman jumps in front of a train. Sadly, the 1st thing that comes to my mind is, hope its not my train, the 2nd, that's going to be a bluddy mess 3, what a bitch, what has she done to her family and friends and even the train driver and passengers and workers who need to remove the remains. (though maybe not in that order)

Maybe I'm lucky to have a particularly strong will (certainly not courage) or at least my competitiveness never lets me think this, because I always believe I'll beat everybody else.

But I suppose you can never really now whats happening in peoples minds.

10. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Firstly I don't think you are born with a strong will. You choose it. Yes things in your life may inspire you to make that decision but ultimately it is a chose.

I have a very strong will and I was suicidal. But the difference was that I chose the hardest option. If you haven't felt suicidal then that is a gift. Let me tell you it is really painful.

In the situation of someone killing themselves by throwing themselves in front of a train. At least the train driver has a life to go to. To blame a suicide victim is to lack all understanding of the situation. Ultimately one has the right to live or die. This right is actually impossible to deny.

I think you don't understand what people who are suicidal feel. I don't think you understand what's it like to hate yourself so much that you feel as if you are doing everyone a favor by killing yourself. I wasn't offended by your thread I'm not trying to be hostile to you. But worrying about the physical mess caused by a suicide is missing the real mess that happened before the suicide.

11. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh suicide.. what a word.

I personally have attempted but failed and looking back I'm like 'What on Earth was I thinking?', Suicidal thoughts still invade my mind and then they go away.In the end it is not worth it. Although you don't see it suicide is one of the most SELFISH acts anyone can commit.

12. Blossom85

I was born with a physical disability which also comes along with a blood disorder that requires constant monitoring, blood tests and doctors visits.. I have been hospitalized several times over the years due to my medical issues and I don't know why.. Maybe it's my family who instilled in me the drive and passion to fight, to not lay down and feel like I can't do anything.. I never had suicidal thoughts or been depressed over my medial issues.. I can only bring that down to the way I was raised and the beliefs I was taught.. I have often felt down and sad when I was hospitalized, but never did my mind go to a really dark place where I wondered why I was here or should I even be here.

That being said.. I do feel empathic towards people who are going through a hard time and feel that suicide is their only option.. We don't know what is going on the minds of others.. Take Robin Williams recent passing for example.. Not many people would have known he was struggling with depression and those suicidal thoughts that was taking place in his mind and we can't judge others on their actions unless we have walked a mile in their shoes.. I can't say someone is weak for taking their life or attempting to take their live as I am not privy to the thoughts and feelings that person has and what they are personally going through.. I do think you are right OP in there are those three actions that can be taken and it is not our right to judge on what road a person goes down when they are feeling depressed and suicidal. We can only be there and be supportive of family and friends if that person does take that final hard road of deciding to end their life.

13. Randomcloud

This^ And not just in terms of self-pity. Friends, family, etc- by feeling sorry for the person you're just reaffirming the idea that their situation is terrible and hopeless. The best situation is the person getting help- professional help.

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the end of the day you live life for yourself. Living to make other people happy is not something you can force someone to go though. It kind of reminds me of abortion. Your body is yours to do with what you please. Even though I think suicide is never a good idea. Turning people who commit suicide into villains is unfair.

15. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I suffer from mood swings & admit I do get thoughts of suicide when I get really depressed sometimes nothing feels good enough for me. I was feeling quite bad one time had been drinking allot and I took some tablets with vodka 'Stupid thing to do I know' anyway I was found in a park asleep covered in vomit that probably saved my life I came round in hospital.
    A close friend of mine took me under her wing made me go to appointments that were set up for me had months of counseling which was hell at first but my friend made me go It was an organisation MIND that helped me understand my moods I still get check ups years later as well as medication reviews .
    I does piss me off still when people say that suicide is cowardly that its an inconsiderate thing to do Ive been accused of it and allot more from certain people who should know me better .
    GIBSON I would like to thank you for this thread and others who have commented It something I find almost impossible to talk about so meany what if's

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yeah. Even I don't fight as hard as I should, but no matter how painful life can get, it must be earned, and is still worth the sacrifice.

[​IMG]

Suicide isn't the most selfish thing a person can do. It is slightly selfish IMO because they feel that it's alright to involuntarily transfer their pain and suffering onto the people who love them, but if a person is considering suicide, they are at the end of their rope. They just need help in some form they are receptive to.

#16 Argentwing, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. robotman

This whole post really resonates with me. I feel like the neutral option all the time. I'm really glad that you don't feel like this anymore, this is a great post.

Some people are just lucky though, they don't have to earn anything, some of these people that have everything aren't even nice people, they are horrible, nasty, vicious people.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

In the past, I had thoughts about committing suicide. I never really attempted, though, even if the thoughts tended to linger about. However, I know what it is like, to reach what is called 'rock bottom'. It isn't a very enjoyable feeling, nor is it easy to just shake off; something a lot of people, especially those who have never sunk that low, tend to just casually suggest. Interestingly, I think my egotistical and angry nature, back then, refused to allow me to entertain such a possibility. How... strange, to be saved by the very things, then, I consider an Achilles heel, now...

Life... is interesting, sometimes.

Individually, I don't think suicide is a selfish thing. I can understand how it may be perceived as such, though. For example, you're the parent to young children, and you commit that act. That is about the only time, it is even a possible assertion. Otherwise, it's just other people, ironically, being selfish about the one who takes their own life, and labeling that one as 'selfish'. But, most of them, who use the selfish label, mean well I think, because it does hurt to lose somebody -- probably more so, when that somebody take their own lives, because it leaves us, those left behind, feeling a wreck. You never really do get over that, even with time...

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes people like this exist. There exist in this world people who will allow thousands to stave just so that they can make another billion. People who will kill for more power. There are nasty people who deserve nothing yet get everything. I believe these people are the reason why we need to be great. The world won't get better in till it's people make it better. I want to be one of the reasons the future world is a better world.

20. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I don't have many problems in my life, I already had suicidal thoughts and I can tell you that they don't come only to people that had much more troubles than most other humans, they come when someone is facing a problem in which there's no way out of it(or that seems to have no way out of it) and there's no future of happiness. They're condemned to live in misery, hate themselves and may even believe that everyone around them would be better if they were gone.

I don't think that suicide is the best way to solve these problems, but here's what might be in the mind of some people that consider suicide.