1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freelancing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Sep 13, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I'm hoping to start doing more freelancing work to help support myself and gain some experience and items for my portfolio when I'm in school.

If anyone else here on EC has ever done freelancing work, are there any pointers you can give? Like how to sell myself as a professional or good ideas of places I can submit to?

I've written articles for a few different sites, I'm submitting an article for a magazine, I've ghost written and I've edited for various clients.

However, I don't have a BA in English or Communications yet (and that's what I'm in school for). I have a pretty impressive wpm speed but I don't have a lot of credentials or a huge portfolio.

Is there a way to get past that and still find work as a freelancer right now?

2. AlamoCity

I am not exactly a freelancer, but I basically make and edit all of my friends and family's resumes and other paperwork they need. I don't get paid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: because I do it for "fun." Basically, word-of-mouth communication is how people learned of me. I sort of am "educated," even if it's a BA in economics, but it hasn't helped or hindered me in helping others (aside from the actual college education I received). That said, I do work for free (my "clients" will treat me to lunch or some other favor), so my way might not be the best example :lol:.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I do resumes occasionally. I've only ever gotten paid for building someone's resume once. But I'll help family and friends out for free. In fact, helped my boyfriend make his and once he started submitting it, got a couple of interviews lined up.

Can't make it part of my portfolio, since I have contact info and personal information, but it's something.

4. Candace

My mom does it. I feel like I have a lot to offer in terms of expertise and skill and truthfully, being self-employed sounds like a great idea in my case. :slight_smile:

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I'm not expecting to make it my day job but it'd be really nice being able to publish articles and make a little supplementary income on the side.

Candace, how long's your mom been doing it if you don't mind me asking. And how did she get started?