1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Libraries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Candace

How many of you visit a library on a frequent basis? How is your library set up? Is it nice? All interesting questions....

I personally love my campus' library. It's open from 7:30 am to midnight on weekdays and it's five stories tall. I usually use the computers, like I am right at this moment, to check emails and get some work done. Since there are a lot of people who forget that it's a library and are extremely loud, I sometimes venture up to the fifth floor, which is an absolute no talking ,quiet zone. Perfect for taking a nap :grin:. The library has its own coffee shop, along with study rooms, and university museum too :slight_smile:

2. Hexagon

I visit a library daily. You see, I have an hour's lunch, and no social life. Need I say more?

I like libraries, with the exception of the one I visit every day. That one has only academic books that the course requirements demand, and nothing interesting. It only has a small amount of work space, and too many people. The rest is computers, and while computers are nice, I, and everyone else at my college, already have a computer. I like my libraries quiet, cold, full of books and empty of people.

#2 Hexagon, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. Yosia

My college has a library but the fictional section is small, its all books for the courses.

4. Ryujin

I volunteer at my local kids library every week, well, I did and should be starting again as soon as they contact me about volunteering after school.
    I don't really use libraries personally as I have yet the need to get textbooks and stuff and anyway, the Internet usually suffices

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I work in a public library, actually. But I think, most of you, already know this.

It's two stories, with some outside balconies on the second floor. There is a walking trail, by a river, to the side. The roof is flat, but you can only access it, from the engineering room, so, nobody that isn't an employee can get up there. Sometimes, I go up there, and it's a nice view of the area.

The bottom floor is where the check-out desk is, as well as the Children's, Young Adult, Fiction, and Non-Fiction. The Auto/Biographies, Reference/Academia, and various articles, are upstairs. Also on the bottom floor, is an extra room, which is where the Children's 'play station' is, where they can play with various things, and be tended to by the Children's Librarian. There are tables scattered around, for people to sit and read. A few have Chess boards, so people can play if they like. Wi-Fi is available there, and free. Upstairs, there are a few tables, too, but most of the people up there, are wanting to use the public-accessible computers.

On average, there isn't anymore than about 10 people there, unless it's a special program, like our Summer Reading Program for kids. Then, it can be a bit packed. Most of the people, though, tend to just use the computers/Wi-Fi or the restrooms. Those who do come in for books, get their books, and leave. Every now and then, someone may stay, sit in a chair, and read. But it tends to be pretty laid back, so, I'm glad...

... now, the head staff, they are anything but.

6. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to work in a library - It was my High School Job, lol. I liked it though, I just hated putting the children's books back on the shelves there were too many of them and it took forever.

7. Demure

In the land of Sunshine,Lollipops, and Rainbows
    I actually work at my schools library. It's only one story but the inside has so much space. I work there towards the end of the day so there usually isn't much people asking for help, which gives me plenty of time to do homework (!)

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the campus library all the time. One of the most fun things I do is check out the linguistics books there :slight_smile:

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love libraries and used to go to them frequently, especially in college. Everywhere I lived, the first thing I got was a library card.

10. littlemonster11

I used to go to the campus library all the time. Haven't had the chance to go this semester. I also don't really wanna go because the sorority girls and frat guys are being forced to study at the library, which, of course, they don't do. Because they were super loud, I kind of stopped going.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i like the idea of going and being in them but when i go and am in them i get really uncomfortable. idk why ):

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Come to my library then.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The campus at least twice a week, to study and finish homework, since there are too many distractions at home, and the public on weekends for the same reason. Campus is always crowded until around five pm, when more students start going home, and the public usually has kids running around, bums hanging out, and computers in use, but the quiet room is a nice getaway.

I just wish they were open later.

14. Dakeli27

I used to go once every one or two weeks but take out around 15 books. Now that I can bike, I go eveand day I'm free and take out 3 or 4.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't go to mine I owe them money:dry:.
    I'm hoping they forgot , I hadn't been there since I was a teenager.:eusa_whis

16. timo

Five stories?! My university's library was tiny. But okay, my university was tiny as well (~7000 students). Suffice to say I didn't spend much time there. Looking for a book, lending it, leaving, going to work in a more pleasant environment.

Then there's public libraries. Haven't been to one of those in ages.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day, I go to my school's library. It's great for studying; everyone else is, so it's quiet. The only problem is that during exam periods, fitting several hundred in is simply impossible, so getting hold of a table is hard. They have a good system for getting textbooks, and all mandatory textbooks are held in storage so only the right students get them. It's a good system, and finding books is easy; it's organised by language, subject, book number. There's also access to download films, newspapers, and other stuff, which is really useful.

Otherwise, I'm lucky enough to have the National Library of Australia a short way from my school, which has every book ever published in Australia and more. It's a massive building, but the books aren't directly accessible; you have to have a card and order the book online and get it in 45 minutes; they're all kept in storage, because it would be a nightmare finding (or keeping in order) millions of books if they were open to the public. If you speak even in a whisper in the main reading room, expect death-glares. It's not permitted to take books home from the library, but it's the best place to study. There's also a cafe in the lobby, so that's great. :grin:

And I sometimes go to a university library. I can't borrow unless I do it through my brother, but there's plenty of study space. Then there are the local public libraries, which I only go to if I have no other choice.

18. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to go to the local branch of my public library once or twice a month, but it's been closed for major renovations, and I haven't bothered to go out of my way to another branch. It had a reading area with a lot of windows for natural lighting, which was nice, but otherwise it was a dingy "get in, get your stuff, and get out" kind of place. I'm looking forward to it reopening later this year. Hopefully it will be more inviting.

19. One Man Army

When I was at Uni, I'd visit my library from time to time, usually about 5 hours before a 3,000 word essay was due :slight_smile: My trips would be accompanied by energy drinks and something unhealthy to snack on.

Actually to be fair, I did like my campus library. It was on five floors and it was usually quiet enough to get on with things. There was also a 'reading room' where low levels of conversation were permitted, so it became a bit of a social club when we were studying for our exams or cranking out long essays.

Linguistics high five!

20. Acm

Acm Guest

There's a library in my town but I never go there because the books are really old and beat-up and gross and I'm too grossed out by them. Plus there's a lot of homeless people that hang out in there because the shelter closed down. I don't have anything against homeless people, but some of them are scary, they even flashed my mom once so I don't really want to be around them.

There's a library at my school that I'm in every day because it's the only place I can work on campus. I don't like it very much because it's really loud and there's no good books but I pretty much have to go there.