1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey, Non-Americans...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CloudyEver, Sep 17, 2014.

1. CloudyEver

I'm asking this because my AP Comparative Government teacher is heavy-handed where the United States is featured in our book. That is to say, she says to take a lot of salt. SO, as people who live outside the States, or are Americans living overseas, what does America look like from the outside. Because from the inside, it looks a mess.

2. Ridiculous

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap :grin:

------------------
    So obviously an American citizen here but my guess would be "pretentious, myopic, and selfish."

I'd be intrigued to hear anything straying from that general premise.

#3 Browncoat, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. Blossom85

Well living in Australia, I can't really judge as Australia is just one big mess right now at the moment in the political and government world, so even if i was to say America was a mess.. Australia is right there with you.

5. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if most people know enough about internal U.S. politics to think of it as a mess. I think arrogant and self-centred seems to be the prevalent view.

It's the religious, homophobic racists who don't know anything about the rest of the world and don't believe in evolution or global warming that get a lot of attention as being explicitly U.S. Citizens. When looking on from outside it's easy to forget that internally, there is more than one side debating the issues.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say a country that's a bit I love with itself. That could be said of numerous others though, probably including my own native land.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, here there are lots of jokes about the fast food chains there, about the average weight, huge malls, and other things we don't have here. People here think that the US is not a very liberal country and that it's quite religious. (Of course, as the Netherlands is very liberal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

But that are the cons. They find the environment amazing and you can easily buy a good house there for a cheap price (houses are expensive here).

8. White Knight

USA(government/politics) usually hated around here. Sometimes they even mistake people (American citizens) with government.

For me Americans more focused on physical beauty than any other group of people in the world. That might sound like a bad thing but I am actually thankfull for it. Otherwise we couldn't have Hollywood and movies, video clips, visually stunning video games, comic books etc.

9. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A mess lol. Even here in canada there are alot of ignorant steriotypes about americans. Dumb,fat,arrogant,fat etc.. Nothing real original. P.s i dont think that way

10. Hexagon

Ridiculous sums it up quite well. America appears incredibly arrogant, trigger happy and politically stagnant and conservative, with a tendency towards crazy religious behaviour and massive over-consumption, both in terms of food and resources. Sorry.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Intrusive is probably the best word to describe how the rest of the world feels. Americans speak more loudly than most other tourists, Americans assume that they are wanted everywhere, and many Americans have an odd idea that the epitome of foreign society is its resemblance to their own.

Even the premise of the question lumps the world as one body and the US as a separate one. I know that wasn't the intention and it's only minor, but the culture exported by the US has an awful tendency to think in terms of "us and them" (America and everyone else) instead of "we are a diverse people interacting as only one of many other diverse peoples."

Even well-educated Americans can be woefully ignorant about anything outside of the US. Hence why political/social/ethical debates tend to be annoying for non-Americans here; Americans tend not to be able to comprehend different terminology and expect the situation to be made as easy for Americans to understand. No matter how many times the differences in how liberalism, conservatism etc., are perceived outside of the US, the same Americans don't understand the next time it's brought up. Other social issues are even more difficult. There are some cases where Americans will say "that doesn't work in America," when the conversation wasn't even about America or even specifically was talking about somewhere else.

That's not all Americans, but the Americans who think they're not like that tend to actually be somewhat like that.

There are plenty of good things people think of America, but I got the impression you didn't want to be told just the stuff you're told the world thinks of you. One thing that surprises many Americans is that, unless America is relevant to the situation, the rest of the world doesn't really care what you do. The US media is full of the idea that America is central to the world. It is important, but not as important as many Americans think. We don't excessively love or hate you.

#11 Aussie792, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  12. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is basically what most people in the UK think as well.
    Of course, the same goes for my country too. America and Britain have a lot of similarities, for better and for worse.

13. Pie

Pie Guest

This picture is pretty much how I think America looks like (even though I know it's not actually that way).
    [​IMG]

14. Hel

Hel

Around here, we love to criticize you. Whatever America is going to do, it's going to be seen as arrogant and/or misdirected/useless.

But more often than not, we are preoccupied but our own country's problems (and there are a lot).

15. 86soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Based on what I watch on tv or media,I can say america(n) quite narrow/close minded,judgemental and they like to question everything towards things outside their norm.

sorry americans:smilewave

16. cuppycake

I'm gonna join the ones who have a negative opinion about what America looks from the outside.

While it's an advanced country which I would love to live in, it still looks like it has a lot of close-minded people, judging from the way they always 'dominate' in the comments section by crying out 'ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT' or comments like '[insert any other country], huh, where's that??' . Like, I hate how the American comments are mostly that - full of racism, homophobia and the 'where's that country, lol, does it even exist', etc. Like, even when the comments are mainly in a different language, they'll still protest and be like 'hell naw, you be speakin' American, 'cuz we're the only country and we speak the only language'. It's kinda ... you know, unfair.

Then again, the internet is always unfair, so maybe the other Americans are kind and polite! I don't know, really. Otherwise, it's a nice country. I mean, most of the native Americans say it's shit, but hey, most countries are shit nowadays, so that's nothing new.

17. Emulator

The US seems like a very free place. Liberal society...of course there are popular views regarding the violence levels and lesser restrictions of weapons, what with the occasional ordeals the world hears about.
    Though apart from that we think you are #1 in nearly everything and have brought us great times of innovation and expertise.

Also, some Americans seem to think that America is the world. As in, they think everyone they speak to online is also American, and they think that what America knows, the rest of the world also knows. They also think other countries' cultures mirror theirs. (But that's only some people.) It's also rubbed off a few impressions.

Basically, we think you think America is important.

18. NDark

Up here in Canada (brr!), we tend to think of Americans as lazy, obese, and uninspired. From what I've heard, Americans are self-centred and extremely religious and closed-minded, as well as very conservative. Mind you, our Prime Minister is also conservative, but we all hate him and know that he's messing us up big time.

Also, we think that 'Muricans are rude and obsessed with sex and violence.

On the plus side, though, most of the cool stuff comes from there, except for My Little Pony and all anime. We blame it on the massive population.

Screw stereotypes, Canadians are rude as heck. We just say 'sorry' and 'thanks' way too much. And 'eh.'

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Robin Williams said it best, while referring to Canada and our relationship with our downstairs neighbours:

20. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I tend to agree with what dragoness said . I took that class my junior year, btw . I M O the best (most objective/ non bias ) way to go about finding answers to this question is to get out of the U S and travel some. Obviously that's not always logical or feasible .I'm super lucky b c my parents have done that with us. Also, my forebears ( great grands ) came from non English speaking countries so it gives me a different perspective I think . It's probably also a good idea to read what's written about us in legit foreign presses or other articles ; the interdotwebonet .Another good source would be from people on both sides of the political scale who have traveled and or lived here. It's also odd that some of the more negative comments came from those who have no geographic location specified.... Curious? While this was a question for non Americans I found some of the responses offensive which is why I commented . I think ignorance is a way overused word and can't be constrained to the parameters of a narrow definition (or mind ). Ofc there's also another saying : opinions are like assholes ; everyone's got one ! Anyway, it is what it is I guess .