1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

you're walking past someone in the hall...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emmanuella, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

So you're walking past someone in the hall (at school or work), several times a day. What do you do??

I frequently cross paths with a girl at work that I find myself rather attracted to...okay, I have a BIG old crush on her. I say hi or whatever the first time but after that...what?! It's just awkward. Do I awkwardly smile each time? I tend to just look away/ignore since there's usually nothing to say.

I think this is just one of those late night situations where I'm turning a complete non-issue into an issue.

2. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree. It's very awkward. I usually just smile at them or look down to the floor or something.

4. Emmanuella

haha lol so it's not just me...

man I need to get more sleep!!

5. PurpleGrey

That used to happen to me like crazy. Even when I wanted to make a move, I would automatically look away and walk by. Damn me. Probably conditioning from my closeted days. Force of habit and all that.

6. Fruit Topping

Happens all the time

7. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I usually make conversation with them because then I get someone new to walk with :grin:
    You could try talking to her :slight_smile: make conversation ask her in which direction she's heading :slight_smile:

8. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Look forward and walk on :lol: Unless its security guard, I say "Alright"

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

#8 Ouzo, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  9. timo

If someone I don't know starts talking to me out of nowhere and ask me something completely random I'd think they were crazy and just ignore them. Unless they ask for help, directions etc.

Which is also why I always walk on and don't say anything.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends on my mood, and how much time I have. If I'm just not feeling totally awake, or just a bit off, then I tend to be more reserved. If I have some place to be, like an appointment or (when I was attending) a class to get to, then I tend to also be more reserved.

But, quite a bit, I can be friendly with random folks. It isn't too hard. You can usually pick up a few icebreakers, by observing them. T-shirts, style of clothes, if they're listening to music, any particular accessories (band-related, LGBT-related, etc), the textbooks they are carrying, if they are walking/strutting to a place, and so on and so forth. Usually, the best time to comment on somebody, is wait for them to crack a smile, then say, " What was that? It looked pretty nice, but then it vanished! Are you a smile magician? "

Usually, they'll laugh, with a bit of embarrassment, which you just tell them, it's okay. You mean well. If they just scoff, you laugh it off, because, honestly, if someone is going to get mad about you being a bit, well, silly, it isn't worth losing your good vibes for them.

General compliments are always good, too. Hair and eyes tend to be safe areas. Noticing a particular set of jewelry, too, is nice. With girls, especially, who wear jewelry, they do so, not only because it looks nice, but to draw a little attention. If you notice something they've done, even something minor, it tends to brighten their days. So, I'll compliment jewelry.

I'm fairly decent, with being social.

11. Emulator

I'll usually look at the ground wherever I walk. Hate making eye contact. If we recognise each other or have made each other's acquaintance then I'll give them a nod as we pass. Just a hint of acknowledgement.

12. Ryujin

I do teh exact same thing.
    I hate walking past people on the street.

13. Candace

It happens to most of us. There's nothing to worry about :slight_smile:.

14. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    make polite conversation like we have to stop meeting like this or say are you stalking me or something :slight_smile:

15. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is in your favour because she has seen you already and is somewhat used to your presence. Its not like a completely unknown person.
    You might take it from there: making eye contact, smile, then look away... not looking away straight away... :slight_smile:
    next time making eye contact and saying hi...
    next time you might ask something... do you also go to... or something like nice t-shirt...
    taking it from there... exchanging which classes, which teachers you have... where you live etc...
    getting to know each other...
    exchanging which hobbies you have... or even saying you want to go to a movie ( or somewhere else), if she'd like to join...
    If two women are involved, it might be advisable to be a bit more active... not to wait for the other one to make the first move :slight_smile:

16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This happened to me with this really cute guy in my Japanese class. I kinda just tried to stare at him without him noticing when we passed. I never said anything to him. I just assumed he was straight and didn't want to make things awkward. He did once say "hi" to me, though, and it was the cutest thing ever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh, but there is... Lies, lots of them. You are new in town, trying to find the XYZ cafe (next to the building) or the XZY library, or whatever... Somebody tell you it should be right in front of the supermarkt, but you couldn't find it, whatever... During those few seconds try to smile a bit, look at her eyes, a bit at her mouth, but above all... Be the nicest you can be! Think about how much you like her and it should come naturally.

Everybody has his/her own style. I'd go smooth and calm, polite and friendly, but not shy... You are interested, ok? So let her know a bit, test the sands, check how she reacts and adapt to her reactions, you've got to be very quick and subtle.

Don't try to make a long conversation during this first exchange. Just wait a bit, maybe second or third time, if she is interested she'll ask you "did you find it?" or whatever, then it is your chance to make conversation...

Good luck, but I wouldn't expect much from it.

18. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am awkward to begin with, so I just try to own it. I might break out dancing or something just for the hell of it. I am weird like that though. Or pretend to be a penguin as I walk past ...

19. Emmanuella

Woahhh

So many replies and tons of useful advice!! Thanks everyone. I think my original post wasn't so clear (probably because I wrote it at 3 am while half asleep, lol!!)

I know her rather well. We speak and stuff...but when just randomly passing by in the hall I am SUPER AWKWARD for no reason. Like, those times where there is no need or no time to stop and chat. Generally I smile... but if I smile 5 times a day without saying anything that's just super creepy. Lolol

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2014 at 10:48 PM ----------

Hahah I like this. I'm totally pretending to be a penguin tomorrow.

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

:thumbsup:

Hehe that's cute! I'd have a hard time pulling that one off with non-children :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But it would definitely make me smile if someone did this. :slight_smile:

20. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I figure is if I am going to be awkward I am going to revel in it. People are going to see me be awkward anyway, I might as well enjoy it rather than being embarrassed.