1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I feel offended when people call me English

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I am born in the Far North of England to Scottish parents. I am only "English" by literally 5 miles, my family always raised me as a Scot, like the rugby team we supported, the fact I lived with my Granny in Scotland for a while, how I have a Scottish name etc.
    Some people call me English and I don't particularly feel this way at all

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person. When I talk Dutch, people sometimes assume I'm German, because they don't know the difference. That might be the case for you too. When people are not sure, they make a guess. It's not personal.

If they call you English deliberately when you have told them you are not (and you don't want to be called English), there's indeed a reason to be offended.

3. tscott

I saw that you're living in Ireland. I assume the being from the UK the Irish might simple refer to everyone as English. As a Scot myself, I wouldn't see myself as being terribly offended by this, despite some very chauvinistic attitudes. I'm first generation American so I am a bit removed. If it's an habitual error used by the same person then maybe it be offensive.

4. Candace

I would first ask your nationality, just so I don't wrongly assume that you're from somewhere and you're not. I guess I can understand how this would offend you though, even if that wasn't the person's intent.

5. 86soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always thought English is a language?

6. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think Scottish would be more appropriate really if both you parents were scot's

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just explain that you're Scottish when people do. I was born in England, but I'm Indian, born to Indian parents and people in my class call me English as a joke, even though I'm clearly not.

If people are joking when they say it then just forget it, and if not then explain it to them.

8. Blossom85

I guess it is really am individual thing, some people might be offended by it and others not.. There is no right or wrong cause it's how you feel and I think there is never anything wrong about how someone feels in a particular moment.

9. Zodavva

I was born in England and have lived in England all my life, but both my parents are Irish through and through so I tend to consider myself as Irish. To me that is my ethnicity or my racial identity, and that's what I'll say I am. If someone asks me where I'm from, I'll say England because that's where I've lived all my life. Nationality is a technical matter so if someone asks that, they'll get the technical answer, which is that I have dual nationality (Irish/British).

10. texas wizzard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    its just a place you were born it does not define who you are in your soul

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't waste your time being offended. In my opinion, being offended is little more than whine anyway.

You can identify as what ever you like. If you are raised Scottish and wish to identify as such, the that is absolutely your parogative.

Happy days :slight_smile:

#11 Radioactive Bi, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  12. One Man Army

Absolutely.

Identity is complicated. Some people identify as both English and Scottish, or American and Irish, or Canadian and Thai, etc. etc.

Just tell people you're Scottish if you feel Scottish rather than English :slight_smile:

13. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I always thought english was the language ; British the identity . Unless youre a scot, welsh or Irish. I say be you and thank F you're not Australian .

14. One Man Army

English, Welsh and Scottish people are all British, but depending on which part of the UK you're from, you can be English, Welsh or Scottish. So it definitely is possible to identify as English.

I'm a dirty mixture of English, Welsh and Irish. I was born in England and live there now but I spent the majority of my life in Wales. Yet I still call myself English because I support England in football and rugby championships :slight_smile: