1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dying my hair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wolf of fire, Sep 18, 2014.

1. wolf of fire

Hi well long story short I shall be dying my hair some colour tommorow, this is the first time I have done it and does any one have any advice?
    Thanks in advance

2. Hexagon

Put vaseline on your hairline and ears to keep them clean. Wear an old towel, and no shirt, else it will get stained. What colour you going for?

3. Yosia

Follow the instructions on the dye. xD

4. wolf of fire

Thanks guys, Hexagon I haven't actually decided yet

5. LD579

What colour is your natural hair, and what kind of colour do you think you'll want to have? Are you getting it done professionally or are you doing it at home with store product? How long is your hair in general? All those'd affect what 'advice' I could give.

6. wolf of fire

My hair is dark brown and reaches the lower part of my neck, I'm doing this at home and have no idea what colour

7. black-cat

I agree with this. ^^^^

-Put coconut oil or vaseline (petroleum jelly) around your forehead, neck, and ears. Basically everywhere where the dye might get too where you don't want it stained.
    -Depending on the length and thickness of your hair, you may need 2 boxes of dye.
    -If the dye is lighter than your current hair colour, you may need to bleach it first. Be careful and do your research before you do this.
    -Wear an old shirt while you are doing it as to prevent staining on decent clothes. You may also want to dye your hair in the bathtub as it is easier to clean!
    -If your hair is long, you will need one of those big clips to keep it up while you leave it to rest, so it doesn't dribble down your back.
    -It is normal to get a little colour out the first few washes.
    -If you are using semi permanent dye, you might want to be careful about your pillow case the first night, a little might rub off.
    -Most hair dyes aren't as damaging now, but it is a good idea to use a conditioner for dyed hair, or just a good hair conditioner in general to keep your hair happy after dying it.

And most of all... Do a test patch. Seriously.
    I hope this helps, good luck!

8. LD579

Since your hair's pretty dark, you probably won't be able to go blond unless you went for bleach. Also, since it's dark, it'd be hard to get any colours like green or blue or pink (Usually you bleach your hair light before you dye them those more outlandish colours), so you might kind of be limited to dyeing it to things like red or black or a lighter brown, and so on. Since your hair's pretty long, you wouldn't have a problem getting it uniformly dyed (It's really hard to dye short hair, and the effects won't last as long on those areas because hair grows, of course) if you wanted. It's best to use gloves (The kit probably comes with gloves). As said above, follow the directions and be careful not to get any in your eyes and so on. Bleach is pretty damaging to hair, so to be honest I'd recommend not doing it unless you're sure you'd be satisfied with the results. One thing you could try if you wanted to try hair that'd require bleaching (So blond, or blue, pink, green, etc.) is using chalk to colour your hair first. Admittedly I've never tried that, but apparently it's safe and it's also less damaging and is more temporary than bleach

9. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Yeah if it's dark, it's hard to go lighter without bleach. My hair went ginger when I tried to dye it blonde. Also if you have fine hair don't put too much dye on it. I have thick coarse hair so used to use a lot but my friend who has thinner, fine hair loaded it on and her hair began to fall out!