1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degrees and Diplomas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Gen

Gen

I haven't seen one of these threads in a while, but it seems as though a large portion of our active community have just recently begun university, high school, or college. I wanted to create this thread because I am absolutely that boring person who loves talking about academics. I believe I have covered all of the bases, but anyone outside of the groups listed are welcome to respond with anything remotely related to the subject as well.

Kicking things off:

~For those who are in university, what are studying, why are you studying it, and what else are you interested in?

~For those in high school or college(non-American), what classes are you taking and what are you considering studying in the future?

~For those who have completed any of the above, what did you study and is there anything that you wish you had learned more about or studied instead?

2. Ryujin

For my GCSEs I'm probably going to take all sciences and computer science and a few other things, mainly things that will help me get a physics course at a good uni. I want to take CS, Physics and Further Maths at A-level

I'd like to get a PhD in physics one day

Am I too young?
    Meh, I choose my GCSEs within 3 months, so I guess it's relevant.

3. Undecided so far
    Undecided so far

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in college (senior high school for those outside the ACT, with one more year after this), and I study English literature, French, Spanish, German, modern history, and standard level maths. I'm also taking IB theory of knowledge and have a great deal of IB work which essentially amount to an extra class or two.

In 2016, I want to study (undergraduate, obviously) law and European languages. I also want to do a master's degree, but that's for me to decide once I'm closer to the time and know what I need better.

#4 Aussie792, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. ChameleonSoul

I'm a senior in high school and I'm taking AP Psychology, Government, AP English Literature and Composition, Film Analysis, Calculus, AP Environmental Science, Drawing and Graphic Design.

When I'm in college next year, I'm going to major in Illustration or Graphic Design and minor in Psychology or Environmental Science.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a sophomore in a 4-year-university studying linguistics and history. I am aiming to get a Bachelor's in Linguistics and will probably pursue a Master's or PhD in it as well. My goal is to become a Latin teacher at a private high school or eventually to become a professor of Latin or linguistics :slight_smile:

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I go to community college and am studying general science (still listed as international studies I think because my school is stupid), with hopes to transfer that to either zoology, earth sciences, or geology. There's a million other things I'm interested in getting pursuing, like Non-Profit Management, Grant Writing/Technical Writing, Cosmology, Physical Anthropology, Archaeology, Neuroscience (what), Psychiatry, Journalism (lmao), Vet Tech, Dog Training (for bomb or cancer detection and/or therapy dogs), Grooming (I don't think I'd actually need schooling so much as apprenticing and licensing for the last two though)... I feel like a hopeless loser.

I have no clue if I'm going to go for a Bachelor's, possibly then a Master's, or if I'm just going to get the Associate's and call it quits because lately I feel like degrees are fucking pointless. Some days I love being a student/involved in academics and know it's the right environment for me, other days I want to drop out on the spot and do something practical.

Wow that's a lot of words for a one sentence answer!!!!!!

Oh, I don't know what my "status" is, I'd guess probably Junior with all my damn useless credits at this point.

#7 asdfghjk, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  8. Candace

I just graduated with a BS in Public Policy and Management, and I'm looking to going back and getting my Master's in Economic Development :sunglasses:.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Completed Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Emphasis on Computer Graphics. (Capitalized because that's the official title of the degree.)

I think undergraduate degrees are kind of a bullshit racket, and they only exist as an industry because hiring managers are fucking bigots.

I wish I had done gender studies instead, but if I had, I wouldn't be working for the state earning good money...

10. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an Associates in Computer Support. Once my life settles down I would love to go back to school and get my Bachelors. Things have been too crazy lately. I think I would like to stick with technology but am not totally sure.

11. Gen

Gen

Definitely not. Physics and engineering students are only becoming more and more sought after with each passing generation. Even without a Phd, you could likely do very well with a masters.
    I am still impressed by your ambitions towards foreign language. I would love take more language courses, but I can never fit them in my schedule. Not to mention, I can never decide what I want to learn most since I've became uninspired in my efforts with Spanish after secondary school. I suppose it might have to do with personal motives. Some people learn languages because they want to communicate and some learn because they want to be able to observe a foreign form of culture, media, and literature. Many study with both motives in mind, but my interests lie almost completely in the latter. Studying Spanish on this side of the world is far more about communication than discovery because the culture surrounding the language is already so prevalent here.

Though I might have to study another language more thoroughly depending on the graduate school I attend, so I am considering French or Japanese as a modern and Latin as an ancient. But only time will tell.

This sounds so much better than the schedule I had in high school. I couldn't wait to take AP Psychology before even entering as a freshman, but they cut the course the moment I began there. I am still bitter...
    I initially considered double majoring in linguistics, but the universities I wanted to attend required insane amounts of foreign language coursework with at least two different languages before you were event official accepted in the program. Studying both Linguistics and any science based major was literally impossible.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I graduated high school, so, I do have a High School Diploma... from Kentucky... not sure if, you know, that actually means anything. It is good ol' Ken-tuck-eh!

When I was attending community college, I was working on an Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice. I was going to Minor in Sociology. However, that is on a temporary hiatus, with me being only 5 courses short, of my Associate's Degree.

I cannot pass Introduction to Computers, Introduction to Psychology, or three back-to-back-to-back Mathematics. I can understand the Mathematics -- I detest the damn subject, but I still respect it. The other two, I have no idea... I mean... it isn't like I don't know how to use a computer, and I've been called an aspiring psychologist before...

Interestingly, I passed all my Criminal Justice-related courses, flawlessly. But until I pass those other courses, well, I'm in limbo.

If/when I obtain that. I would like to enter the law enforcement area, since Kentucky has one of the lowest requirements to do so. I aim to either be a detective, or to work with juvenile delinquents, with a possible attorney/lawyer as a back up plan. Basically, I want to get people out of the system, and not in it.

If permitted, I'd either stay as a detective, or study Law on the side. It'd be pretty damn awesome, to be a detective-lawyer. That's the kind of stuff that a kid would be proud of, that they'd go to Bring Your Parent to School Day, and say, " Hell yeah, that's my mom/dad, the super mega awesome detective-lawyer! Get on my level, Third Grade! "

LOL.

13. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently a freshman in uni. I'm studying Automotive Engineering Technology. It's a straight male dominated field, but I'm really interested in cars ever though the idea of getting my hands dirty wrenching doesn't really appeal to me. If I can figure out how to get a minor in any language especially Japanese, I'll do that. If I can't figure that out I'll probably get a minor in Mechanical Engineering.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a senior undergraduate student studying psychology. Next fall I'd like to go to grad school in clinical psychology. I got turned onto psychology in AP Psych in high school and it kind of just stuck for all the cliche reasons of wanting to help people and wanting to understand why people behave the way they do. Although I plan to work with people, I'm also interested in animal behavior. My minor is English so there's that, though I prefer writing to literary analysis.

15. Gen

Gen

This is exactly why people should be able to take on as many studies as they desire. Narrowing our interests down to one or two is simply not possible for us crazy people. :lol:
    The universities around here have amazing gender studies programs. It was very tempting not to dabble more in the subject, but there is just so little that can be done with those degrees. I considered double majoring or minoring in it, but I had too many other interests that would provide me with many more opportunities going forward.
    This nonsense will go no further! You are speaking to a Cognitive Science student. Those subjects are literally the foundation of my education. All I will need the name of this campus and your student ID, and I will be ready to show up to these classes in a trench coat and, suspiciously-wide, wide brimmed fedora, ready take on your identity. They won't expect a thing. :sunglasses:

16. Hemlig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm studying and working in real estate now, I got another three years til I get a diploma. I've been studing political science before, but that wasn't really my thing. Now I'm thinking about quiting my job and study some english for a semester or two on top of the candidate, but I haven't decided yet.

#16 Hemlig, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm pretty sure, anyone else, could pass the two Introduction classes. I know the material, but, well, the Psychology teacher and I kind of have history. I don't think she'll let me pass, even if I actually did, because I sort of called her out on something. In retrospect, that was probably not the wisest decision... as for Introduction to Computers, I always get marked off for my technique. Despite being able to type faster, and get the assignments done, they demand I type the 'formal way', which severely slows me down.

When it comes to Mathematics, please! Though, we're going to run into a major problem... as lovely as you are Gen, I don't know if you could pass for me. I'm kind of super mega sexy.

LOL.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm first and foremost a film student. As I've stated here before, I've gone through 2 years of film school (albeit no diploma due to the last year) and I'm pursuing a career in post-production. I'm currently in Community college trying to get my GPA up and also am taking a couple animation classes as well as a drawing class to get more well-rounded in what I do.

If I were to say there's anything I specialize in, it would probably be motion graphics (making shapes and words move really cool), and editorial would probably come right afterwards.

The main plan for the future is to move to the UK with my boyfriend and get a post-production industry there, no matter how hard that is as a US citizen, or at least a then-US citizen.

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a senior in college majoring in political science with a specialization in campaigns, and communication. Also working on a congressional campaign.

So yeah, I don't have much of a life right now.

20. I'm in high school.

AP Chemistry
    AP U.S History
    Weight-Training
    American Literature
    Newspaper
    Calculus