1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are guys so uptight with their sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Sep 18, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

When compared to girls, guys are so uptight about sexuality. If a gay guy hits on them/makes it known that they're attracted to them, they usually become hostile and/or get offended. When a woman makes it known that she's attracted to another woman, the woman usually lets it go easily, or is actually friendly/open to the idea of getting to know them.

It feels like many guys are highly insecure with their sexuality. if you aren't gay or bi and a gay or bi guy is hitting on you, why should you in any way feel threatened?

2. Gen

Gen

There are too sides to this

On one hand, homosexuality is generally seem as more despicable and revolting in men than in women. This is not to say that homosexual women have things easier at all, but in regards to actual degree of disgust, rather than mere bigotry, there is usually a higher degree with male same sex attraction than female. Which is for a variety of reasons that I am sure we are all very aware of.

On the other hand, the idea that heterosexual women are immensely more accepting of the LGBTQ community than heterosexual men is a very inaccurate stereotype. The difference lies within the fact that homophobia in men is often more overt and exaggerated on their parts because they are attempting to convince those around them that they have no association with the LGBTQ. They are under the assumption that if they don't publicly reject non-heterosexuals, questions will be raised about them. Which seems ridiculous now, but wasn't so far fetched in past generations and still certain communities today. With women that mindset still exists, but it not nearly as commonplace.

Women are equally guilty of homophobia as men, the difference is that women tend to express prejudices and criticisms passively. A lesbian might be less likely to get physically harmed by admitting an attractive to a heterosexual woman, but it doesn't at all mean that they are accepting and tolerant. Heterosexual women are more open to complimenting and being affectionate to other heterosexual women, but that shouldn't be mistaken for them not being able to be just as callous and homophobic to openly gay women as heterosexual men can be.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because on some level, many straight men understand just how predatory their sexuality can sometimes appear to women. They don't like sexual interest directed at them by other men, since they are projecting the same predatory desires and outlook onto gay and bisexual men, so they tend to view homosexual interest or advances as predatory even when they are not. (Some sexist pieces of shit gonna be sexist pieces of shit.)

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Guys are not the only ones uptight about their sexuality, I have seen some women freak out after being asked out by another or hit on . One of my cousins actually beat up a girl for asking her out .
    But I 've seen more men uptight than women , one guy told me he would beat a gay man up just for looking at him , or if another man looked at him in a sexual way . Yet he then turns around and sexually harass the me and the other women on the job .
    I had told him that just because a guy hit on him doesn't mean he needs to bend over, and let the guy do him in the butt all he had to do is say sorry I'm straight and move on but he insist that he must beat a gay guy up and how disgusting it is .

Which made me think if he so insistent on beating gay guys up could, this guy be either gay or bi and probably just maybe wants to bend over for a guy deep down . Maybe that's why he hates gay men so much :confused:

He's acting like it's jail and he'll get raped:rolle:

#4 stocking, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. White Knight

Probably this is just your lack of experience. I knew several women who are even friends or not biased towards gay guys, got hostile even attacked women who tried to flirt with them.

It is probably tied to how they see gay people... a thread or just another person.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Straight guys who are uptight about their sexuality, it's all about the whole manly thing

[youtube]Oooij6sQYgI[/youtube]

#6 stocking, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  7. Blossom85

I do think straight men sometimes might feel their masculinity is being threatened if a gay man compliments them, men are more complex then they often lead themselves to be I think.

8. June Cleaver

Sweetie, EGOS! MEN HAVE EGOS AND WOMEN GENERALLY DON'T! They already feel they are too small,short,not rich enough, etc for the women they're dreaming of, then a guy hits on him freaking him out! Maybe the gay has radars and he might be gay as gays know each other!or some other stereotype or misconception about homosexuality. Also fear of being ridicule! June

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I've noticed this when it comes to men flirting in general. Most lesbians I know also get hostile and offended when men hit on them. Part of it is I think phallocentric culture; a straight guy and/or lesbian can be seen as a gay man/straight woman if they acknowledge or do anything with men. A straight woman can do things with women and still be straight which is why some might not feel as threatened.

It's not the only reason though of course. A lot of straight men think being gay is a threat to masculinity and seen as 'weaker' (which of course is bullshit) and as someone pointed out: Homophobia is the fear that men will treat you the way you treat women

Not all straight girls are accepting though. There are plenty that are violent or mean toward other lesbians, which is a shame on both sides.

10. Hexagon

They've been trained from birth to be that way.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have noticed that things are changing with straight women well where I live they can no longer get way it with I do things with women and I'm still straight thing . Because men now days are more likely think think their either bisexual or doing it for male attention .
    Pretty much most that still argue their still straight are seen as being in denial , or attention seeking .
    So the straight girl is still straight and does things with women is dying out fast , because it seems like many men aren't falling for that line anymore , if your a woman that sleeps with women or does anything with women that is sexual most men wouldn't see those women as straight they would class them as bisexual . It's the women that well yell from the mountain tops that their still straight but their not seen as straight by most men , only a small few.
    It's only women that just kiss other women that are seen as straight because men think their doing it for attention

#11 stocking, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Too many people are too uptight in general

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As for the bold, I definitely agree with the first part and I can see the second part. However, I think that heterosexual women are slightly less put off by L/B women than heterosexual men are by G/B men. There seem to be more open-minded women who have lesbian friends than there are guys who have gay friends ... and this is in large metropolitan areas.

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2014 at 10:15 AM ----------

By society, that is.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with what Gen said too

15. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because if you act feminine in the US that’s means your gay. Men from other countries are not nearly as uptight as guys from us(i.e. Europe) because they can act a little feminine without “being afraid that they will be called gay” It’s starting to change in the US, but it’s still far ways off.

16. MrK21

Well I am heterosexual and never really minded it. I mean I just can't help it I am so fucking hot.

17. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In all honesty, I kinda feel like straight women react the same way around lesbians/bi women.

But anyways, my guess would be that the people who react this way are insecure about their own sexuality and worried about being perceived as gay. I say this because, as stupid as it is, when I was still in the closet I would get uncomfortable around gay guys and worry that they would flirt with me or something like that. I'm not sure why I felt this way, but my guess is that I'd worry that people would suspect that I was gay if this happened.

And obviously, not all straight people react this way. I mean hell, I'm sharing a room with my roommate (who's straight), he knows I'm gay, and he honestly doesn't care at all.

18. Gen

Gen

I see that side of it as well. There is definitely going to be some differences depending on where you look. Another factor might be the act that women are more often to overlook certain qualities in others without necessarily accepting them. For instance, it is less common for mothers is homophobic household to disown or reject children than fathers. It is not that mothers are less homophobic than fathers; it is just that mothers often make more attempts to change, criticism, or ignore a LGBTQ child's orientation than reject them entirely.

I believe that there are a lot more heterosexual women out there who befriend a LGBTQ individual while still holding homophobic and prejudice values, than homophobic heterosexual men. Especially since homosexuals are portrayed in the media are a girl's best friend. While men can be more outright rejecting of LGBTQ, they tend to be more straightforward. Having LGBTQ friends is far less glorified amongst men than women, so those who have friends from this group are almost always genuinely accepting. There tends to be less, "Gay people are so fun. I want to be their firends. I just wish they weren't going to hell" mindsets coming from men than women. I suppose there are positives and negatives from both sides.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Europe is wide, mein Herr... If you check the southern countries (italy, etc), that 'macho culture' (never act feminine or wear pink in public) is still there. slowly dying out as the older generations die, but still there.

Here is germany they don't care that much.

#19 Michael, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

In the circle of associations I hang out with, from time to time, we were discussing this topic. Well, not exactly. It was more along the lines of, if a male complimented you, in a more-than-just-a-friend way, how would you respond?

One of the individuals in my associate circle, a fairly large and imposing fellow, kind of laughed and said, something along the lines of, " You know, I don't really like the idea of being with another man. But if a man told me I was looking fine, why should I get mad? Most women find gay men sexy, so, if I'm sexy to him, I'm sexy to women. "

There are tidbits of ignorance in there, but there is also a nugget of wisdom. Keep in mind, this guy is what one would call "hood certified", so he embraces the whole being tough and macho-thing. Hearing him say that, was kind of a surprise; everybody else, while they weren't tickled about being with a man like that, they all agreed. Being hit on by a gay man, means you're doing it right, to them.

One of the more amusing circle conversations, I'd say.