1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straight priviledges

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bicomplicated, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bi people: How do you respond to a person who claims to have a problem with your sexuality if you are in a mostly "straight" relationship because this person claims that it is unfair that you get straight priviledges? I mean well I guess it isn't untrue but also not my fault. It's the government who needs to change and have more equality for all. I mean how do I respond to that? I'm sorry, let me crawl under a rock? Thoughts?

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say to anyone that claims to have any problems with any aspect of my sexuality that they can go f#*k themselves. I also won't be lectured by anyone who doesn't know anything about me about privelages.

That's pretty much it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. SomeLeviathan

being in a "heterosexual" relationship does not make you heterosexual or give you straight privilege.
    you'd probably like this blog Bi radical | Love, rage and pride

4. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfair?? What the hell does that even mean?

I mean it's unfair that they *don't* get the kinds of privileges that people in hetero relationships get. But unfair that you *do* get those privileges? By what standard? It's unfair that you like who you like and have chosen to see who you see? Bullshit.

Now if they want to argue that you have an ethical obligation (as a queer person with some level of straight privilege) to argue in favor of and support equal rights for people who are in same-sex relationships, that may have some merit...but we all tend to act on our ethical obligations *as and when we can*...not on the timetable of some numbnuts who resents your sexuality/relationship.

6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

@radioactive bi VERY cool story breh

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good input biAnnika! :slight_smile: Thanks.

8. Dakeli27

I'd say being upset because someone's in a heterosexual relationship is just as bad as being upset because someone's in a homosexual relationship. Sure, it's more socially accepted, but that doesn't make it bad.

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Straight privilege or any "privilege" is a silly concept. It depends on where you live. I don't feel that straight people any more "privilege" than me except for maybe having an easier time finding a relationship. This may not be the case in other countries that are homophobic but does that mean I have some sort of "straight privilege" being in a gay friendly country despite being gay.

Life is more complex than a list of privileges. This privilege thing is bs. Everyone has challenges that they have to overcome. No one is really privileged except maybe really rich people.

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I highly doubt bisexuals receive straight privilege, and even if they did, how the hell is that their fault? If there is a gay friendly straight person out there who is treated better because they are straight, is that their fault? The people we should blame are the people who treat others differently because of their race, orientation, gender, etc...

11. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Yes, well, whatever privilege they get whilst in a straight relationship bi people get other kinds of crap. Like people thinking you shouldn't go out with someone you love if they're of the other gender because some people will think you'll have privilege. And we could go on.

12. PurpleGrey

What the hell is straight privilege?

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll break it down, in quick and simple fashion.

Basically, straight privilege is being practically immune to bullying/negativity/anything that is aimed at non-heterosexual acts or thoughts, for starters. Everyone is assumed to be heterosexual, so those who are heterosexual, don't have to make themselves as vulnerable, by admitting they're breaking the mold. Most entertainment mediums -- books, movies, music -- are heavily dominated by boy meets girl/girl meets boy themes, as well. If a male and female kiss in public, it's perceived as normal, but if two women or two men kiss, it can be anything from "disgusting" to "fucking hot". Finally, if you are heterosexual or presumed to be, you are protected from being discriminated against, for your sexuality. Well, for the most part, there are militant anti-heterosexuals sects out there, but, you get my point I'm sure.

Being bisexual, in the context of this thread's point, is like having your cake and eating it too. You get to diverge from the expected path, yet you still are provided the benefits of that path, the GLORIOUS and MIRACULOUS heterosexual one, you diverged from. Most people who say, or even believe this, are at best, painfully ignorant, and at worst, fucking moronic.

14. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for the positive responses. And Kaiser, you hit the nail on the head. Very insightful post! I guess I should just ignore this person and not let it get to me. I guess a response to ignorance isn't really necessary.