1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armenian Apostolic Church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joshy the queen, Sep 20, 2014.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone follow it know anything about it cause i might be going to a Armenian school for Christians and idk much about them any info would be helpful and hey what about their thoughts about gay people good or bad?
    Btw im not a Christian

2. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are definitely not gay friendly, that much I know. Then again, in your immediate area, who is?

4. AKTodd

As luck would have it, I just got home from the monthly meeting of a gay men's group my partner and I belong to.

The speaker was a young man who did 2yrs in the Armenia in the Peace Corps. Of course, the question of how LGBT friendly Armenia (and the AAC) is came up.

The short answer is that it's not. The longer answer is a little more complicated. What I remember of his words as follows:

a) The capital - Yerevan - is much more liberal (comparatively speaking) than the rest of the country. However, the only openly gay friendly bar there was firebombed (while closed) some years ago and nothing new has opened in its place.

b) There is a gay rights/diversity focused Non-Governmental Organization there called Pink. They don't have an easy time of it, but they do exist.

c) Apparently most men in Armenia are clean shaven since a beard signifies mourning the death of a loved one or the like. However, a fair number of gay men do have beards. Apparently, it's not a given that a bearded guy is gay, but it is a sort of 'under the radar' signal among those in the know.

d) Although gay friendly places like bars and organizations are small to non-existant, they have cell phone apps such as are used here. Also parties in people's homes and yes, cruising parks, public sauna's or steamrooms, etc. So there is a community, but it's largely out of sight.

e) Recently, the police in Armenia tried to get a law against 'gay propaganda' passed there, similar to what was done in Russia. It failed on a technicality, but the LGBT population (and various other more progressively minded groups) are both up in arms and very fearful that they will try again.

f) The culture is such that the expectation is that you will get married and have kids, period. There really isn't the American/Western European idea of a single adult (male or female) simply choosing to living as a single person for an indefinite period of time. The expectation seems to be that the elder son(s) moves out and eventually marries a girl who moves in with him. The youngest son lives with the parents and gets married and his wife moves in with them. And that's that.

f) Armenia is apparently experiencing a major amount of population loss since there is not a lot of work there. People move away to work in Russia, in Ukraine, and in Europe. A lot of the gay population is taking part in this and moving to Europe and elsewhere where views are more liberal.

Wish I had more positive news, but hope this helps,

Todd

5. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Dude,
    Apostolic here means Pentecostal . Most Armenians are orthodox . So bearded priests who don't have the balls to say shit to your face . These others are all fire and brimstone though. Sounds like you're in Cali anyway so at least state law would maybe protect you ? I know these Types cuz half my family is coptic (Egyptian Christian ) we used to all be lumped together ( M E Christians and Armenians ). Just don't take any shit. High school is h s so do what you gotta do and bail. Don't get all panicky before you even know . I know dudes who went to a Greek orthodox h s so . Good luck either way , man.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 04:53 PM ----------

خطأي لافتراض كالي. تعرف صفقة هناك حتى مجرد مشاهدة ظهرك.