1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are men and women different?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Psychologically speaking, that is. And if so, are those differences learnt or innate (or both), or are perceived differences entirely false?

Oh, and bonus question: What are those differences?

#1 Hexagon, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. RAdam

Definitely, but if that's caused by upbringing and society or caused by only gender who knows

3. Jwis

Here is an interesting article.

Brain Differences Between Genders | Psychology Today

I think there are some clear differences between the genders. I also think environmental and social interactions through out ones life also are important in the development of ones brain functions.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Sitcoms say HELL YES.

Science says in some aspects.

I say, yes, but a great deal of that is conditioning. The rest is split up, between various other things, like biology. Potentially, I'd say, we're capable of just being people. Individuals, but still people.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Slightly yes, we have brain differences. Most other things are social conditioning and stereotypes though like people have brought up

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, psychologically speaking.

It's a "did the chicken or the egg come first" situation there. There are certainly differences***, but it's very hard to tell whether they are simply learned/molded by culture or not.

*** Though I should be sure to note - that's on an aggregate. On average, there are certainly differences. Person to person could not possibly be more varied.

7. Ryujin

Well, for a start, different amounts of testosterone and estrogen affect the way you think (correct me if I'm wrong) so that's a major difference when discussing biological sex and psychology, to some extent.

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, (psychologically speaking) there are biological differences caused by sex hormones and brain structure, but everyone thinks differently, and there's definitely a lot of overlap. I think culture plays a factor, as well.

The important thing is to judge people as individuals- don't be a collectivist.

#8 An Gentleman, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  9. Dakeli27

Yes, even in brain makeup. Sexual dimorphism definitely exists. However, that shouldn't validate stereotypes. While women are generally more this and men are generally more that, people are still individual people.

10. Techno Kid

Hormones do effect the brain in some ways (I think). Women have a wider range of emotions? Though that might just be the culture we live in that influences that more.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean this in the most forthright way possible-- how are you this knowledgeable and astute at 14? At that age I was hardly a person I'd like to remember now >.<

I say that because it's right on all counts. The sexes are different, but not so different that we can exercise prejudice.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well shit, in that our brains are structured differently, yeah, I'd say we pretty much *have* to be different, psychologically speaking. And that's biological, rather than societal, although society certainly has an effect in further differentiating us.

You can keep your bonus question, as I have no desire to write an actual treatise.

13. Candace

Yeah, in brain structuring and because of societal expectations and upbringings.

14. June Cleaver

I feel you are dead on! My sister could not raise her first baby, she brought her to my home extended from her historical that I am a woman (motherly she meant) the baby had cried nonstop for two weeks! Seconds in my arms she stopped and I always knew what she wanted by instincts. I have a male body halfway, she is a ciswoman. My sister never had those instincts, but is a great breadwinner, hates cooking, cleaning, children, traditionally women things where I excel! we are six years apart, me older. June

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Obviously, though the existence of transgender and intersex people (along with gay men and women) pretty much muddy the waters a bit. Even if it weren't for them, some people naturally identify with traits associated with one sex/gender or another, for whatever reason.

This is a question I've always asked myself, and tried searching for answers to.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Honestly, while there are differences between male and female brains, I think gender mostly serves a purpose in social structures, and I think that certain behaviors get reinforced in females vs males, and that conditions most people to grow more in to their assigned gender

17. kem

kem

Wow, that was perfectly put! Well said, I agree with you.

18. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a non-gender-conforming individual, I've always found studies of gender differences disturbing and vaguely threatening. Of course, maybe it's the outliers that confirm the norm, but I always feel that such studies are a not-so-subtle reminder to myself and others that there's something "abnormal" about me.

I would hate to live in a world where gender roles were somehow confirmed and solidified by science. Would there be a treatment to make me more "feminine"? I shudder at the thought.