1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should public Schools Provide Condoms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Sep 20, 2014.

?

Should public Schools Provide Condoms?

1. Yes, from middle school onwards

53.2%
  2. Yes, from high-school onwards

39.0%
  3. No! Them kids will go wild, and have crazy sex and orgies. Bad idea.

7.8%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This issue always seems to creative quite a stir in the still more or less sexually repressed United States, where even sex ed is something that barely exists in many places.

I feel strongly that school should make condoms available, because people of whatever age are going to have sex anyway, so they may as well have access to the means to prevent the spread of disease, and also avoid unwanted pregnancies.

So I feel they should be made available from the age to one is able to engage in such activities, which would be (roughly) middle-school onward (ages 12 and up, roughly), and that access to them should not have to be in a way that embarrasses the students. There should be ready access that is either anonymous, or not imbues with stigma.

#1 HuskyPup, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. wolf of fire

What's the worst that could happen? The school being sued as the condom they provided split. Jokes aside what's the worst that could happen?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the area I'm living, people as young as 15 can get condoms, for free, at the local health department. All they have to do is come in, ask for them, and they are handed a small bag, full of condoms. They can do this, as many times as they want, but only once a week. This is so people don't just walk off, with all the condoms, in one go.

As for schools, I don't see any problem with it, save for some folks who would get outraged. If you send your kid to public school, you have to be remarkably dense, not to think they're not going to learn about sex. I learned almost all my dirtiest words and sexual labels from public school.

4. Hexagon

Sounds good to me.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's like that here as well, though I was thinking of how hard it would be for many kids to make it to their local health departments, given lack of transportation. So I felt this would be an improvement.

Oddly enough the image of some folks getting outraged makes me like the idea even more! Adds to the energy with which I'd support it. Call me outrageous, impish, rebellious, contentious and an iconoclast :slight_smile:

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My high school provided condoms. Don't see what's wrong with it.

7. IJustWantToLove

I don't vote on this poll, because my opinion doesn't match one of the answers.
    I'd say no, public schools should not provide condoms, but not because "the kids will go wild and have crazy sex".

I just don't see how this should be the responsibility of schools, to be honest. Sex education is important, and should be teached in school. And kids should learn about ways of practicing safe sex. But I don't think schools should have to give out condoms to teenagers.
    I think what Kaiser described is a better solution than handing them out in school.

8. Ryujin

I don't think so on middle school (that's my age, right?) as most(if not all) that age are neither fully sexually developed nor mature enough but high school (what age? 16? GCSE?) seems fair enough.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

^^
    I agree as well. It's not really anything to do with the school so, meh.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The sex eduction classes should provide them, and teach how to use them. Perhaps a vending machine in the restrooms, at very moderate subsidized prices. The local LGBT center here provides them for free, no questions asked, for anyone who comes through the door, both male and female type.

10. RedFireFly

Nonono, I don't think that would ve a good idea.....
    When I was in 7th grade, there was this one guy who got his hands on a condom....
    Long story short, everyone went all coco about it, and it was laying in the 'playground' for a week.

11. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's a schools place to buy condoms for horny teens but they should teach about condoms and safe sex

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Heh.

Sorry, but this made me laugh, as well as reminded me of some past times. I didn't exactly do that, but when I was much younger, I would stock up on condoms. Why not? They were free, and the health department wasn't that far from the school. I would fill them with various fluids, everything from water to urine (I was fucking terrible, at times, I tell you), and then hurl them at people.

Needless to say, people didn't much enjoy that. Well, the ones who got splattered with the condom-balloons. Everybody else had a good laugh. But, I do share your sentiments, about people taking advantage of provided-for means of protection. Of course, those same hooligans, are going to take advantage of anything, and it seems rather unfair to deny everyone else something, just because two or three knuckleheads linger about.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't see why not. Better to be proactive than reactive.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

lmao my school wouldnt even provide bandaids or pads, like shit theyd supply condoms

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be the kind of crazy idea the US needs.

16. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES!!!! It is better to be safe than sorry.

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think they necessarily need to, but it could be something you get from the health office. Nowhere else, though. It's a school--it does't need to cater to kids' sexual activities.

18. ScatteredEarth

Honestly, I'd be good for High school onwards, because me personally, I came into high school at the age of 14, and I was just starting to plateau with my development, sans growth, but in Middle school, I was 10 through 13.. We don't need to give condoms to 10 year olds..

In the same breath, I also agree that it really shouldn't be the schools problem, and the simple fact is, I can walk into a walmart and buy a 3 pack of condoms for less than 2 bucks with no questions asked.. I know, I did it, and I bought lube on top of that.

There's literally no age restriction on buying condoms, and they're so dirt cheap that the only people who wouldn't buy it are the 'smart' and are clean enough to not need them (Mostly toward gay couples, to straight couples, you really won't know when you're about to cum, so no, don't just say you'll pull out before) or are too stupid to realize they're about to fuck up their lives.

19. ScatteredEarth

Honestly, I'd be good for High school onwards, because me personally, I came into high school at the age of 14, and I was just starting to plateau with my development, sans growth, but in Middle school, I was 10 through 13.. We don't need to give condoms to 10 year olds..

In the same breath, I also agree that it really shouldn't be the schools problem, and the simple fact is, I can walk into a walmart and buy a 3 pack of condoms for less than 2 bucks with no questions asked.. I know, I did it, and I bought lube on top of that.

There's literally no age restriction on buying condoms, and they're so dirt cheap that the only people who wouldn't buy it are the 'smart' and are clean enough to not need them (Mostly toward gay couples, to straight couples, you really won't know when you're about to cum, so no, don't just say you'll pull out before) or are too stupid to realize they're about to fuck up their lives.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where there is puberty, there is sex. There's absolutely no point in letting foolish teenagers get pregnant or pass around STIs because you want to stand on principle. A lot of teenagers would be a lot more happy to get condoms free and from somewhere easy to access, rather than to buy them from a supermarket or something.

Even if they're too young for sex (ten is rather extreme), a condom is all the more necessary if they're going to have sex.