1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian U-haul /lesbian "merging" stereotype?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

Do you think the lesbian U-Haul stereotype holds any truth? The biggest lesbian stereotypes I've been hearing/seeing lately is the one of "lesbian merging" - you know, when two lesbians get into a relationship way too fast and want to spend all their free time together, reject their friends, start dressing similarly, are super attached to each other, etc. (basically, they become more like sisters - after the "lesbian bed death" sets in, of course).

Do these stereotypes hold any truth whatsoever? I'm a little nervous. I see a lot of my straight friends obsessing over their boyfriends, and I feel like the only thing keeping them from rejecting their friends and spending all their time with their boyfriends is the fact that their boyfriends are the ones who set boundaries. With two females, it seems like the result could be... overwhelming.

Thoughts?

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Holds any truth" in what sense?

A stereotype is a blanket statement made about an entire group of people. Do you actually mean to ask if all lesbians are U-Haul lesbians? Certainly not.

But if you mean to ask "are *some* lesbians U-Haul lesbians", then the answer if "of course...otherwise the stereotype wouldn't exist."

I think it's a good observation, however, that straight people do exactly the same thing...and usually the woman in the relationship. So very likely, this stereotype isn't about lesbians at all, but about women generally. And there, we shouldn't be surprised...women are more likely to get emotionally attached more quickly.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not like that at all. I'm a very distant person that takes things slow, gets irritated if my partner wants to spend so much time with me, etc. Does the stereotype exist for some people? Sure, but not everyone.

4. Lipstick Leuger

My poor wife had to date me for years before she moved in. However, it does seem that Lesbian realationships move very quickly for many women. Two emotional people and who can understand each other better than the opposite sex, make for quicker pacing.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like relationships in general to me.

6. dreamcatcher

Yeah, I would definitely say that I've seen quite a few lesbian relationships move quickly but I can also say the same about many straight and gay relationships I've seen. One of my friends is female and she moved in with her boyfriend after 3 months together. And another friend I used to hang out with, he moved in with his boyfriend after 2 months.

But I do think some lesbian relationships do move quickly but trust me not everyone is like that. I'm not like that all. I like to have my space and hang out with my friends. I am also an introvert to the core so I like having some alone time. When I was with my ex, we didn't hangout everyday or dress the same, we definitely had plenty of boundaries and space to grow so it's not everyone. Just avoid the girls that move too quickly. You'll usually be able to tell who they are right away.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my limited, non-scientific experience, that stereotype has a lot of truth to it.

8. thekillingmoon

If both people want to move in together as soon as possible, why not. I wouldn't move in together right away, but I don't think it's bad when both people want it. As for spending a lot of time together, nothing wrong with that either if it makes people happy. I'd like that very much actually. I'm an introvert and could be content with having one person in my life. At my age making friends is very difficult because everyone has their own family anyway, so having a partner be my best friend is ideal for me.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I don't know - sounds like a stereotype to me. And my relationship with my ex (male) was like that, so it isn't necessarily only a lesbian thing. In fact, a lot of my friends' first few relationships were a bit like that (gay and straight). But I can imagine that sometimes with women things can move fast and be a bit intense. But it all depends on personalities and previous experiences etc.

10. 741852963

So thats what a "U-Haul lesbian" means!

I honestly thought it meant they have a preference for driving vans! :eusa_doh:

11. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I saw this awesome post a while ago and I'm just gonna quote it here. I'd just post a link, but it's from Tumblr and I don't think that's allowed, so...

(Bolded the important part(s) + I thought the graph was interesting!)

12. Blossom85

I do agree.. My best friend has found herself in a relationship with a woman, always considered herself straight before but none the less, she is very happy.. She has always been a bit of a free sprit, however her now fiancée is very much into the hippy lifestyle and my best friend has really adapted her own lifestyle to suit her partners as well. They are very busy and my best friends partner does have two kids from a previous heterosexual relationship but I have found that since my friend began pulling away from me a little since she got with her, more so before she had officially come out to me, I guess when she might have been concerned about my reaction about it all. It was never an issue with me accepting her though, but I do feel like I have lost my best friend to an extent now she has a female partner who does pretty much everything together as a couple and as a family.

13. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Its based on that is a tendency that is more recurrent on lesbians couples than male gay or straight, but is not an universal truth. The reason it happens is that there are many women who quickly develop emotional attachment, get attached as soon they have psysical intimacy with someone or even before that, its obvious that because lesbians couples are formed by 2 women, this tendency have more chances to develop than other kinds of relationships, but this merging can happen between 2 guys or in a straight relationship, it just is less common.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can merge pretty hard when I'm with someone ,but lately I like having my own space more . I don't think it's true for every lesbian ,but there are some that fit that stereotype to a Tee ; personally ,I don't like living with other people and would prefer just living on my own .

15. TheStormInside

I've heard this stereotype, too, I'm glad to see that some are saying it's not necessarily true as I'm a pretty independent person and like to have my space. I haven't been in a lesbian relationship nor do I know any lesbian couples so I don't really have any experience in this area. I'd agree with the sentiment though that this can happen in straight couples pretty easily, too, and I have definitely witnessed this, especially in younger couples who have more of a tendency to get totally wrapped up in a relationship and disappear from other friendships. In my previous relationship with a guy I was probably the one who "set the boundaries" more than him, so I think personality is going to play a factor in addition to gender, here, too.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to go to Urban Dictionary too.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Case closed, imo.

#17 Browncoat, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with the others that say straight couples do this as well. One of my friends abandoned me for her boyfriend, and moved in with him in less than a month of dating. I'm extremely independent and space needy, and one of my crushes (although we never became a couple) was very introverted and space needy as well; if we became a couple I couldn't ever see this happening because of our personality types. I think the only reasons It's linked to lesbians is because women get emotionally attached and start daydreaming of love/marriage quickly. As others have said, It's more of a woman stereotype than a lesbian one, but we get the heat more because we have two women in our relationship

19. Beetle

I wouldn't move in that quickly, especially since I like my space. But for my girlfriend and I, we were friends and roommates before we started dating, so we skipped the whole Uhaul thing! We both work different shifts too so I get my personal space...but maybe too much of it lol.

20. Emmanuella

Teehee hee *giggles*