1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My bf is a bisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nami, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Nami

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm really new to this when I thought I kinda grasp the concept of bisexuality, it turned out I have no clue. My bf and I are dating for 2 years now. He is great and we have a wonderful relationship with a healthy amount of conflicts (of course, no one is perfect). Lately, we had issue with our future ( we are senior in college) like where are we heading in term of our relationship when we might look in a different direction of future. we had a serious fight that led to a consideration of breaking up. Then we talked out and decided to focus on making the best out of today and we'll see where future lies. We lied in bed, but he seemed confused and lost. He started to murmur about something. He said that there is something I would like to tell me, but he doesn't know how to put it. He never said it out loud. "I am sexually attracted to both men and women."

I was shocked and excited. Yes, excited! I didn't know exactly why I was excited. I think It may have something to do with my desire to have a gay best friend. And of course, I was shocked because I didn't see that coming. He said he never told anyone not even his parents. I am THE ONLY ONE except himself who knows about this. I could't stop smiling; I'm honored to be the one he chose to tell this. I'm so content that he trusts me enough to share this. However, I still have the empty feeling in stomach. We ended up talking all night about his men crushes, and he couldn't stop smiling. We cuddled and made love twice. I thought I'd be fine but apparently something sinks in and I'm not. While we were making love, I wanted to cry. In the back of my head, I was questioning him. "Is he making love to me or he is fantasizing about another man?"

The next day I couldn't stop thinking about it. I suddenly felt significantly insecure in myself. I felt like I will never be able to fulfill 'his needs'. I will never be enough for him, since I can not provide 'masculinity' to him. I felt like one sooner or later, now that he already came out to me, he will leave me for another man and I will not be able to compete with a man. I know I sounded stupid to think so, but please bare with me. I am very confused.

We talked more regarding his bisexuality and how I should not feel insecure or worthless when he has been a bisexual before we even dated, so nothing changes. But I still have some question about his sexual orientation. He said that he is sexually attracted to both mean and women, but when I asked if he wants to have sex with men his answer was no. He said he doesn't want to have sex with men but he would (or he thinks he would, because he never been with any men sexually or romantically). He will not initiate sex with men, having a romantic relationship or getting married with men, but he would have sex with men? This is where I am completely lost.

He had 4 men crushes by far, and he founds them really cute or attractive, but he didn't pursue any interaction in order to be in relationship or commit sexual act with them. He never fantasized about being in relationship with his crushes or having sex with them. However, he said he got excited when he saw his crushes.

I'm lost now. I have a theory that may be he is a bi-curious, but he said he knows he is bi. However, his words seem to contradict itself. He seems confident and not in denial. I'm supporting him no matter what. I'm not saying so because I wanted to sound like a good gf, but because I want him to have 'exactly what he wants' and I think if he is gay then I want him to have what his heart longs for. I am from a country that GLBTQ concept is very well acceptable, especially gay, queer, and transgender. So I have nothing against him. We are really close. His best friends are also my best friends. I am also very close to his family.
    What should I do or what can I do for him?

2. Ryujin

A lot of bisexual people have greater attraction to one gender or the other, as sexuality isn't just black and white; gay, straight or bi. It's more a spectrum of who you're attracted to, myself for example, I'm more romantically attracted to guys then girls but more physically attracted to girls but I'm still bi (pan technically, but that's a whole other pile of socks). Also, he's no more likely to cheat on you than any other guy, at all.

I hope that helps, just ask me if you have any more questions.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What's wrong with him being bisexual I don't get why it would bother you , he loved you enough to tell you the truth he probably doesn't want to sleep with men because he only wants to be committed with you .
    If it were I would think he wouldn't be worried . What I think you should do is just take his word for it .
    bisexual does not = cheater

and a bisexual man does not = gay men can be bisexual two and like both sexes
    also maybe he could be a bisexual person that's into women romantically and sexual but just men sexually .

4. Nami

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still confused on how he said he does't want to have sex with men but he would. I think I'm questioning because 'how does he know when he never been with men?'. Also, I asked him what sex he prefers ma'e or female and he said he like women more than men. So i guess that also reflects your answer.

5. awesomeness

I've always found it interesting how women feel "threatened" when their boyfriend is also attracted to guys, while men don't give two shits about their girlfriend being into women, because they don't see women as competition.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with stocking. Women in general have a hard time with accepting a bisexual partner (even women with female partners), but the fact of the matter is being bisexual doesn't mean someone is unfaithful, will leave you for a man, or you won't be good enough. And there are bi guys who prefer women too.
    He probably said he didn't want sex with men because he doesn't want to cheat; if he was single his answer was probably different. I honestly think he feels ashamed and worried because of his orientation right now.

I agree, I think It's extremely sexist and implies that men are superior partners on both sides.

7. Ryujin

You an know who you're attracted to without having to be in a relationship. Else, how would you know to start a relationship?
    The same thing could be said of a straight person who's never had a relationship, how can you know you're straight when you've never been with someone of the opposite sex?

8. Dakeli27

Being bisexual does not mean just a girl or just a boy will not satisfy you. We might like a girl or a boy, but we still like that boy or girl. Don't feel like you can't "fulfil his desire for masculinity".
    Your profile says you're curious. Does this mean he doesn't fulfil your desire for femininity? Sure, he might be attracted to men while being in a relationship with you, but he would have been attracted to other women anyways. This doesn't mean you're not good enough.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He probably means he doesn't want to have sex with them while dating you , and probably would if he were single and wasn't in a relationship that's how I see it .
    I've never been with a woman ,and I know I'm a lesbian so I think he would know .
    You see you don't need to have sex with someone to know what you are . Same way you always knew you liked men before you started having sex with them . Or you knew you liked your boyfriend before you slept with him .
    Not all bisexuals are 50/50 some prefer one sex over the other , some only like having relationships with one sex and not the other .

10. Nami

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is where I have no clue. That many of you brought up "Not all bisexuals are 50/50 some prefer one sex over the other , some only like having relationships with one sex and not another."

Thank you to all of you for helping out with my confusing thoughts.

11. Ryujin

This is the Kinsey Scale
    It's very over simplified but it's a start to understanding that sexuality isn't ternary but on a spectrum

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah because if this was her he wouldn't feel threatened and in fact he would be encouraging her to have sex with women , either with or without him .

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 03:43 PM ----------

The problem I have with the kinsey scale is it implies that all bisexuals are 50/50 which most us know is not true .

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 03:44 PM ----------

Your welcome :slight_smile:

13. Ryujin

It does the exact opposite....
    One through five....

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 11:48 PM ----------

To quote Kinsey himself, "The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects"

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    3 is the only listed as bisexual .

15. Ryujin

Actually, the term bisexuality isn't used at all. Only, "Equally Heterosexual and Homosexual"

I'll stop here, we're getting off topic.

#15 Ryujin, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Stocking; I think he meant that while he's willing to have sex with men and has attraction to them, he wouldn't have sex with a man while he's involved with you. And he might simply be more attracted to women than he is to men.

And he knows because he is attracted to men. That logic would mean that people wouldn't feel sexual attraction until after they had sex, which is obviously not a reasonable thought. I'm sure you felt attracted to men before you slept with one.

17. SeaSalt

Just remember that because we are Bisexual and we swing both ways, that doesnt make us unfaithful. I know it wasnt brought up however its a point most people dont seem to understand.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree it's not used at all on the scale , yeah I'll leave it right here .

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 04:14 PM ----------

This bisexual just means having attraction to both sexes it doesn't mean more likely to cheat .

19. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Hi, I'm a bisexual and I'd just like to make a few things clear. Bisexuals are attracted to both men and women, but that doesn't usually mean that we want to be with both at once. We generally want to be with either or. For example if I was in a relationship with a woman, my thoughts would be on her. I would be perfectly happy having sex only with her, and even if I did still have some fantasies about men, they would be just that. Fantasies. Also it might seem confusing that your boyfriend says he doesn't want to have sex with men. There are two good explanations that I can think of, and the first is that if he never admitted it to anybody, there is a chance he never really admitted his sexual attractions to himself. But another explanation that I think is a bit more likely is that he really only feels romantic attraction to men, but with women he has sexual and romantic attraction. It might seem confusing, but sexuality isn't always black and white, as others have pointed out. Romantic and sexual attraction can in many cases be separate, and some people will be only be able to be either sexually or romantically attracted to a particular gender.

20. Gregarity

Biphobia in general is so fucked up. What l'd like to know is what gave society the idea to stereotype bis as cheaters, though l can guess it was either, a. incidental and/or b. misinterpreted/overblown/etc