1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Short Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alexisconfused, Sep 22, 2014.

1. alexisconfused

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My sister is bi and I'm gay, do you think there's a reason (genetics, upbringing) or is that just a coincidence? I know this isn't the only case at all.

2. Hexagon

Coincidences happen. It may well just be that. Sexuality is likely biological, but epigenetic rather than genetic.

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I have often wondered this as well seeing as how a few of my cousins are bisexual, my aunt is bisexual, my brother is gay, my sister is bi and I like women.
    - I was the first to come out other than my aunt and cousins... Not that it matters. xD

4. One Man Army

Sexuality appears to be determined by a complex interaction of genetics, pre-birth hormones, epigenetics and possibly environment too. Nobody really knows, but it's probable that sexuality is at least partly genetically inherited.

5. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Who knows. If you believe the whole finger length thing, yeah, genetics might have an influence, but it's definitely a mix.

6. Tokumei

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm lesbian and, for what I know, the only one in the family who is not straight (except for my dad's cousin, who I have never met). So I'm not really sure what genetics have to say about someone's sexuality.

7. Blossom85

Apart from extended extended family.. I am the only one as far as I know who is not straight.. My mums cousin and dad's cousin are both gay.. But not any of my direct relatives as far as I know, but then again.. I am the only one in my family who has a very complex medical condition as well and they say that is gene related.. Other family members might have this particular gene, but it doesn't affect them as such, so it's a possibility that it could be the same for sexuality.. It could be a gene that lays dormant for some people and others it doesn't.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There may be some relation.
    I'm probably the only non-straight in my close family though (parents, uncles, aunts, first grade cousins), unless someone else is in the closet haha.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Well, it can happen. Most of my family members are straight (although my sister is asexual along with heteromantic), which I think is true for most of us. But coincidences happen too.

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know. I've always had this question. It seems like if someone is gay or bi and has siblings they are usually the same way