1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian and Gay?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JamJ, Sep 22, 2014.

1. JamJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm gay and a christian. I was only christened along with my family so that my older siblings could be godparents to our nieces. My family isn't even remotely religious if at all. I just feel weird about being gay and a christian due to the divide and conflicts between it and I'm also worried about commiting so called "sins" e.g. lying with a man etc. I just really need advice and views on if someone can be gay and also a christian?. I apologise for any grammatical mistakes as it's late and I'm about to go to bed. Also I haven't gone into detail and so if you have questions just ask. Thank you in advance.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. When I was your age the same exact question was going through my head and it made it very hard to accept my sexuality. Churches and ministers or religious people may tell you that homosexuality is sinful and wrong but honestly far from the truth. Religion was made by man and the bible was made by followers of Christ. The bible actually was not even written in English and so the English is very inaccurate in some parts of the scripture.

Homosexuality in its original scripture was never condemned and Sodom and Gommorah was about greed and not homosexuality. There were also homosexual relationships embraced in the bible. I honestly don't see the love of christ in people who spread this kind of hate. Most people will never believe in what is true about Jesus or the bible but what you need to do is you are not wrong and your not going to hell for being gay. God created you as you are and that is how you should be. All you need to is believe in him and you will have everlasting life. I hope the best for you.

3. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first, not ALL Christians have a problem with homosexuality or other sexualities. It's just not an uncommon thing to run into hateful Christians either. It's ultimately up to you what you want to believe in. The problem with "Sins" though is that these sins were laws used to govern ancient societies and few still have relevance to today's. The thing is I don't personally think there is anything wrong with you being christian, you just have to find your own way and decide for yourself what it is you want to believe in. Their are no shoulds when it comes to how you think and feel, there's only what you want, stay true to yourself. :slight_smile:

My personal belief I take God is Love very seriously and I don't believe in hell. Take that however you will :wink:

#3 Nekoko, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. Ridiculous

Is being christened the only reason you are saying you are a Christian? Because if that is the only reason, you aren't a Christian. Just carry on with your life and ignore what is said about you in a book written 1500 years ago in a language that no longer exists :slight_smile:.

To answer your question, you can be gay and a Christian, but you either need to ignore the parts of the bible that condemn us (which brings into question why you should be believing anything else in the religion if you can decide to not believe this particular part), or you become self-hating.

5. One Man Army

Or you can re-interpret the verses that condemn homosexual relationships.

I don't want to say you can't be both Christian and gay, but for me personally, coming to grips with my sexuality was one of the reasons why I questioned the reliability of the Bible. It also made me realise the hypocrisy that is entrenched in many (but not all!) churches, in stark contrast to the message that Jesus was teaching.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have already said, the conflict between Christianity and homosexuality exists in the mind of some Christians only, usually those of a conservative/evangelical persuasion. There are, across the world, many millions of Christians (myself included) who manage to live quite happy lives without getting worked up about the passages in the Bible that appear to condemn homosexuality. I'll not go into all of the biblical/theological arguments on here and open up a much wider debate, but if you'd like to know more or read more, please feel free to send me a message on my wall. :slight_smile:

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an evangelical, bi, and libertarian. How is this possible? Simple research.

Homosexuality back then was referring to gay prostitution which I do not support. This was the problem that the Romans had. Even so, Jesus did not condemn them directly to hell if you read along. He came to love and forgive. Even though I believe gay prostitution and pedophilia is sin, it is not my place to judge someone's ultimate eternity. It is God's place.

As has been mentioned, the Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek. In 1611, King James tweaked a lot of the verses.

Furthermore, many people will quote Leviticus. However, do they eat shellfish, mix fabrics, and go near a woman during her period? They would be sinning under the old law. Thankfully, Christ came to give us the new law which means we do not have to go to a temple to worship Him. We see Christ state many times about loving the poor, blessing those who curse you, and avoiding the LOVE(not the possession) of money.

8. C P

C P

I would agree with this, if you really feel it better to continue on.

Looks like we share a similar backstory in that area, although I questioned stuff for some time before all of this; it pretty much just helped to seal the disconnection.

9. JamJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for replying and sharing your opinions. I guess I'm just going to live my life how I see fit and I intend to enjoy every moment, without worrying about religion. Thanks again. : )

10. WallWeed

As a gay Christian, I BEG you to go read "Homosexianity" by R.D. Weekly. You can get the eBook on Amazon for ten bucks or something, completely worth the purchase and I wish I had read it years ago.

Instead of disregarding God's holy Word as outdated and irrelevant, Weekly carefully and systematically delves into the actual meaning of the "clobber verses" in their proper context, and what he reveals is truly remarkable. As a deeply committed Christian that had been struggling with my sexuality for years, I broke down in tears several times while reading his book, it opened my eyes so much and completely shed this mount of guilt and shame that I had been carrying for so long. My orientation and faith had been reconciled, at last! Can't recommend that read enough, what a feeling!