1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randomcloud, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

I found there is an LGBT society on my campus and decided to join that since I only came out (to a few people including myself) recently and I literally know nobody in the LGBT community!! However I looked at the group on their FB page and found out this girl from my high school who used to torment and mock me frequently is also part of the group O_O It's a pretty small group too...would you guys still go along or not bother? I don't know how comfortable I'd be in the same room with this person and with the fact that they'll know my sexuality before many of my close friends will

2. White Knight

Being different is not easy, especially when you are teenager. If same thing would happen to me, I would go and try to talk with her/him in there. This might be interesting.

3. Randomcloud

To clarify: we graduated high school 3 years ago- this society is at my university campus (which is huge) so I never see her

4. Feijoa

3 years is not a long time in retrospect, but a lot can still happen over 3 years. How she acted in high school could have been immaturity, or her dealing with something she didn't want to admit or couldn't understand at the time.

I think you should go but if you start feeling uncomfortable whilst you are there, you can always leave. You don't have to even speak to her or acknowledge her if you don't want to. You are going to the society group for yourself, and who knows, maybe things will work out between you both, or maybe they'll be nothing.

5. Yosia

Kill them and then attend. ^.^

---------------------

Id probably just attend anyway, and its not like they can hold it against you because they are there for the same reason, maybe it might be a time to put the past behind you and maybe become a little bit friendly with them.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, she may have changed. Bullies often act that way due to their own insecurities. I met a really friendly girl who admitted she used to be a bully when she was younger; I would never have suspected it.

7. Randomcloud

But...but that requires effort.

Haha but in all seriousness, you guys are probably right. Even if we still don't get along that shouldn't stop me from going

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As others have pointed it out, a lot can change in 3 years, including people. But, as someone who has some trouble in forgiving, I can see why you would hesitate.
    However, if you don't go because of her, then you might be missing a great oppotunity. Don't let this person take this away from you.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd attend, and maybe reach out to them. People can and do change a lot when they leave high school - and her reason for being mean to you might revolve around her being LGBT herself. There's no way of knowing until you try, and you have to remember that colleges are far less tolerant of bullying - after all, a college is not obliged to keep its students in college, because people are there by choice (unlike high school, where you are required to go by law).