1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think i chose the wrong career :/

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    A rant:

I'm studying civil engineering, and i am at the beginning of my sixth year, after this semester comes another with is the last one, so, only a semester plus what is left of my current semester. A bit too late to change careers.

The sensation of studying the wrong career probably begun developing 2 years and a half ago, but it reached its peak during my 40 days of internship on Haiti, and after that i have been questioning my career decision and seeing all the things i dont like about civil engineering and how there are others choices that in hindsight look as more obviously compatible careers.

I ran from medicine cause i had the idea in my mind that i didnt like chemistry and biology but it was more likely that i hated my chemistry teacher on highschool, and i love the human mind/brain/behaviour/therapy/helping others be so i could have studied medicine and then going to psychiatry, or i could have studied psychology, or i could have stufied something that compliments my interest in writing, maybe i could have been a teacher or a reporter, those dont have a good paycheck, but why do i want money if im not going to enjoy it that much?

On the other hand what i dont like about civil engineering?
    1- i prefer city over rural/mountains/middle of nowheres. And many construction labors are in the middle of nowhere, and i my case, at Dominican Republic, work opportunities are scarce, forcing engineers to either working in the absolute middle of nowhere/far from home and disorganized Haiti or in the middle of nowhere at solitary rural areas of DR with area little better than Haiti but also pay a lot less so its kind if a tie.

2- there are some interesting aspects, it could to some point satisfy the curiosi to know how buildings work, the structural solutions but its not like im the most passionate person regarding trucks, construction and those things, not compared to some of my peers who you see how they have high curiosity and interest in it. I just dont find the motivation to be curious and search or read or ponder about engineering ideas or whatever.

3- I'm shy, somewhat socially awkard, and not very confident, not a good thing when you have to have autorithy and command your workers and having their respect. Also because im shy i want to develop my social skills and keep contact with my social circles to satisfy my thirst for people (thirst for good friends social interaction more specifically), with is hard to do in the middle of nowhere, stuck with others engineers with whom you dont necesarily have much in common in an ambient with is very limited. Also my love and sexual life... Im 23 years old virgin and never had a girlfriend... How the frog am im going to work on these areas of life while being in middle of nowhere? In a job where most people are men?

The only think i like is that being an engineer could help me in my desire to live in another country like Canada or the US or europe.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some secretaries and other non-tech coworkers are female... If you insist in meeting someone at work, which is not a good idea.

... If you still don't like the job, it won't change your feelings about the job to do it in Europe or the moon, you'll still be doing something you don't enjoy 8-10 hours a day.

It doesn't make much sense insisting on following a path you are not comfortable with: Do it and try to find something good that keeps you relatively happy, or change your situation.

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I dont hate civ engineering as a whole, what turns me off is the job situation in my country that sort of forces me into a place that i dont want to be. I couod bear it a lot better in a first wold country with opportunitiesto work in urban areas, specialy because i want to work and live in a bigger more advanced country.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2014 at 10:15 AM ----------

Alsoi dont want to throw to waste the money may parents spend on my career. Im thinking of alternatives to connectand redirect my career in a direction i like. Maybe if work for a year or 2 as engineer, the job experiencecould help me to provide something unique in another field. Maybe i could save money, study psychology and do something of psychologyy related to the industry,idont know.