1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll shows support for gay marriage falling, and opposition rising (US)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Sep 23, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully this is more related to how they asked the questions, sample size, and isn't reflective of a larger, ongoing trend...but perhaps the right wing has been successful in bringing together more opposition; with pals like the Koch Brothers, the Republicans have very deep pockets to push these sorts of messages, subtly or overtly, tacitly or explicitly.

Story here:

Why does a new poll show gay marriage support dropping? - Salon.com

#1 HuskyPup, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Incognito10

I never trust polls too much as they are, as you mention, subject to sample size and methodology. I would, however, worry if randomized serial polling began to all be consistent.

#2 Incognito10, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. ChameleonSoul

It might just be that individual poll...

However, on the off-chance that the trend continues then :***: that! I'll leave the country before I end up being locked in an insane asylum for my so-called "disease"!

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't see anything about how this information was gathered. My general rule is that if a person doesn't have enough sense to avoid someone walking toward them holding a clipboard, then poll results are meaningless. Just food for thought

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so much fun voting away other people's rights, except for that pesky thing called the US Constitution, which says that everyone is supposed to be treated equally before the law.

Why should anyone's opinion and prejudices matter, including the members of the Sub-prime Court, if the jackasses can simply READ.

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Just a guess, but Slate might be trying to ramp up interest in the mid-term elections. The mid-terms are looking like a bloodbath against the Dems right now. IMHO, this article is scare-tactics to try and motivate (D) voters.

Big Media just looks like Big Propaganda to me.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Polls aren't exactly the most reliable sources.
    :eusa_naug Journalists should report facts, not opinions.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would put Fox out of business!

Curious poll, though, and from the Pew research center. What I see is more of a leveling off of support, and not really any significant decline. And, as the older generation bites the dust, I think support will continue to rise. But it reminds me that people can't just assume things will continue to improve, without being active and vigilant.

9. Pie

Pie Guest

I don't understand: Why is gay marriage (actually just "marriage") such a big deal? How is allowing gays, and more generally any two people, to get married going to cause any harm to anyone? And who cares what marriage used to be (i.e.: a male-female union), how is what happened in the past supposed to determine/affect the future?

10. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the positions become more extreme as time goes on. It isn't just "I don't like gay marriage", now it's "Gay marriage is a threat to my conservative Christian way of life! We must take back the country!"

And the other side gets more extreme too, which alienates even more people. It's nothing more than a "culture war".

11. Incognito10

If anything, it's most likely just leveling off. I mean, have we ever heard, "I used to support gay marriage, but not anymore." It would be antithetical to any progressive minded person, in my opinion; so not sure what this poll is trying to get at.

12. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a place in the local mall that does surveys. The people walking around with the clipboards approach with a line similar to "Would you like to take a survey? We will pay you for your time."

I don't know what they pay or how long it takes but the offer of basically free money overrides a lot of common sense.