1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anybody make digital art?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Celatus, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently bought myself a Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch tablet thingy and I love it :slight_smile:
    Digital art feels kind of difficult to me in terms of getting things into proportion, though. I have tried numerous digital art software programs and I really like ArtRage and Firealpaca. Anyone else? :icon_bigg

2. Yosia

I used to. ^.^

3. TheStormInside

I use photoshop and illustrator, though I much prefer photoshop. In terms of the wacom tablet, yeah, I find it a little harder to control than a pencil so I often will sketch things out by hand, then scan them and go over the scanned sketch digitally.

4. black-cat

I hear that SAI is very good, depending on the kind of thing you want to draw. I also like Sketchbook Pro and LayerPaint, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with your equipment.

I used to do it, but not so much anymore. It feels unnatural at first but I'm sure you will find the right programme and it will work fine. :slight_smile:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I use Open Canvas normally

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was pretty good at Illustrator when I worked as a graphic designer for my high school journalism department. I didn't have a tablet, so things were kind of tedious to work with a mouse.

7. I sometimes make digital art whenever the occassion comes up. Intuos is the only tablet I tried though. I love using Paint Tool SAI.

8. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

If you're coming from a traditional art background, then corel painter is the way to go. It simulates real art materials, and you can approach it like a real painting. I tried photoshop, but the approach is just too different from traditional painting and I couldn't get used to it.

9. White Knight

I am more used to traditional tools however while not really a pro I used photoshop to color some of my drawings. I never get into drawing with a tablet. Mine is gathering dust on a shelf.

Seeing what other people do with a tablet and PShop I feel dumb and talentless.

10. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I dabble in it a bit, I would highly recommend Paint Tool Sai when it comes to software! I love it, it really feels like painting irl. I have an ancient Wacom Bamboo Fun, I'd love to upgrade to an Intuos when I have the cash.

11. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I make digital art. I use a whole assortment of programs and also traditional pencil and paper.

I use Manga Studio 5, Adobe CC, Painter, Blender for 3d modelling, And a whole assortment of other tools depending on the job. Using a tablet takes a while to get used to, especially if you come from a traditional drawing background. Once you get used to it it's great though. Having a powerful workstation really helps. The more ram the better. Also a large display with good color accuracy is very helpful.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2014 at 04:17 AM ----------

^^ This. Corel painter is awesome. It works in parallel with adobe products as well. I usually swap back and forth between programs depending on the task. Photoshop great for tweaking things but for digital painting it can be a bit annoying. Manga Studio has been by far the best program for drawing in that I have used. I start my sketch there and then use Coral Painter for painting. I will then tweak things in Photoshop as needed.

#11 alwaysforever, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. Windy Day

Windy Day Guest

I have an old Wacom Intuos 3, it's ancient and the pen nib is absolutely destroyed but I'm a poor uni student so...anyway.
    I usually line on Sai and flop between Corel and Photoshop for painting. Occasionally I'll use Sketchup (because it's free) for 3d modelling but I'm abominable at it. I gave up on teaching myself how to use Blender. It feels like a whole new ballpark!

Anyway, yay for you and your new tablet! :wink: