1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way of connecting engineering(civil) with psychology

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Is there a way of transfering experience as a civil engineerinto some branch ofpsychology... Think is i dont want to waste my years and money studying civil engineering, soim searching for a way of using that knowledge in another field i like more, for example psychology.

Im thinking this: maybe i could. Work 2 years as engineer, save money, and use that money to study psychology and then taking a career path that lets me use my engineering experience... Maybe something related to working as psychologist with a company i dont know... Attending corporate people? Management people? Working at human resources? Using psychology to improve workers pefirmance or something like that? Or simply using my experience as engineer to make treat job stress related issues?... I have this feeling there is a way i could connect a thing with the other.

Who could help me with this? What do you know?

2. jahow95

I can't imagine many employers would accept an applicant for a position that required the knowledge of a psychology degree - such as therapy - if they didn't have the degree... would be like hiring an actor to fix my boiler

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

what if they acted like they knew how to fix ur boiler

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look up I/O and Human Factors Psychology, as well as human-computer interaction.

5. LiquidSwords

I've studied civil engineering and as far as I know there is no overlap between the two. I also can't think of a job that would involve the two. Sorry :confused:

6. Zodavva

I think there are connections between many different areas of study/industry. As mentioned by previous posters, however, if you want to do a job that requires a psychology degree (such as therapy, clinical psychology, forensic psychology) then you will need a psychology degree.

But there are other connections - perhaps on the social side, for instance I remember a civil engineer talking about the problems of designing long viaducts near city centres due to it generating issues like crime and people not feeling safe in the areas underneath them (maybe there's a psychological aspect there!) Also, there is some interesting work in civil engineering about how you design buildings so that they can cater for people across the whole community e.g. those with dementia - a building can be designed so that it's easier to remember your way around, etc., and that has connections with psychology.

Just be aware that psychology is sometimes a misunderstood field, so make sure you know what you're getting into!

Good luck with whatever you do choose to do, I'm a big believer that if you do what you love doing, you will end up happy. Don't waste years of your life doing something you don't enjoy. :slight_smile: