1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do physical traits matter in relationships?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Just being self-concious

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on the person; but remember every single physical trait is liked by someone in the world

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

To me they do. I won't be with someone I'm not attracted to.

4. Blossom85

To me.. A person's personality makes them attractive or unattractive to me.. Yes.. I will as it that you sometimes walk down the street and see an attractive person and maybe someone you don't see as attractive.. But once I get to know someone and have more of an indicator of what kind of person they are.. Then I am able to see them as being more attractive or not.

5. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess so. I don't think I could fall in love with someone whose appearance turned me off. However, there are some people that at first I perceived as unattractive, but later on I started to notice some very nice physical traits. I don't know...Perhaps beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

Once I am attracted to someone, other physical things aren't as important, but physical attraction is definitely an important part of a relationship to me.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

as a frumpy ugly jackass that is getting obese i dont think i get to have those opinions anymore

8. ScatteredEarth

Not really, I mean to some people, maybe. But to me it's all about the attitude. You can be drop dead gorgeous, but if I don't like how you act, you will quite literally look ugly to me. And it's funny because it's true. If you're a dick, I'll be more likely to see the flaws in you and just look at you in a different light.

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally can't imagine a relationship based on physical traits lasting very long. Unless it's body hair or something. :lol:

For me, no, not at all. I have some preferences but they are really just preferences and have little to no bearing on actual relationships.

For some people, yes.

10. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate to sound shallow, but yes. Obviously their personality is far more important, but if I'm really not attracted to them physically, then I'm not attracted to them, there's nothing else to it. But on the flipside, someone could be absolutely gorgeous and have the personality of a trashcan, that would turn me off just as much. And remember that everyone's definition of attractive is different! I never thought anyone would find me attractive (like, ever) but apparently the girl I'm dating now was interested in me before we'd even talked to each other. It's all relative.

11. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it does. To each their own though, some people are attracted to what others are turned off by. For some people, they are repulsed by the thought of dating an overweight person while there are others who would ONLY date an overweight person. Personality should be the most important thing, and I would advise steering clear of the superficial people who only go for others based on looks. Though, physical attraction is very important too. I could find someone with the best personality I could ever wish for, but if I'm not physically attracted to them, it will likely put a huge strain on the relationship. I'd rather just be friends with that person then.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are physical traits? It all goes back to this "real reality" crap, no? Absolutely, I need to find the person attractive in order to have a physical relationship. But the personality has such a profound influence on what I see...how I see it...that it can make traits I ordinarily view as unattractive as more attractive. Yes (acknowledging shallow reality) I may be more likely to approach a physical ideal...but I'm also likely to sit in the shadows cast by the bright flames of this world, and fall into conversation with another person who isn't comfortable approaching the physical ideals...and if we connect, I'll find that person more physically attractive...and who knows where it'll go?

The world is about connection, not about physical traits.

13. Blossom85

I couldn't have explained that better, that is exactly how I feel.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, of course physical traits matter. I have to be attracted to the person I'm with. Otherwise, the most we can be is friends...

And there is one person in my life who I absolutely would be dating if he weren't obese.

15. White Knight

I'd like to say no but it matters. Female body while good and beautiful it doesn't attractive to me.

If we are speaking about males, not really as long as we both have a way to satisfy each other or ourselves physically. Sexual frustration can kill a relationship.

I am picky about things depends on choice like long hair or ugly long beards. So few men looks good with long hair, no one looks attractive with ugly long beards which is a trend in here since last year...

16. Yosia

Seeing as i prefer being single, they are going to have to be pretty perfect for me to have a relationship with them. xD

17. Sitri

Mildly. I'd take anyone better than quasimodo. Good looks are mostly just a bonus.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well considering everyone (except bisexual people) have a sexual orientation that excludes 50% of the population because they "are not attracted to them," then yes I suppose physical attraction is important.

I think physical attraction is important. As others have said, though, personality can make someone more or less attractive to me. If someone has a good personality their perceived physical attractiveness can increase for me, but not by a huge amount.

19. Randomcloud

Yes, but they're not the most important thing.

20. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The guys I find really really attractive are people that look shy or cute or whatever and my friends dont usually see it (even the girls). So don't be self conscious because I think I'm a pretty nice guy and alright looking guy so if I find quirky people unbelievably attractive then you've got nothing to worry about cus there's plenty more people like me :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2014 at 02:48 AM ----------

and also, once the lights are turned off does it really make a difference? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: