1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How & When You knew

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcaneVerse, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ArcaneVerse

OK so there's the thread about who you first came out to but...
    How did you first come to realize your sexual orientation?
    &
    When was that\how old you were at the time? and all that sort of thing.

And i apologize if this has been done or if i offend anyone.

2. byeee

I think there's a thread on this too, but buried in the bowels of the forums. :slight_smile:

When I first got the idea that I might be gay? Around 6-7th form, so 13 :slight_smile:. It took a couple years to get used to the idea, and then a few more until I started my mass coming out :>.

3. Amy

Amy

i was 13 years. it was early april of 2007. i only remember that because of why i thought it, and all the pain/drama that happened the next week. and the week after. and the week after that...

i couldnt really narrow down why exactly. im the kind of person where it sometimes takes a while for 1 and 1 to make 2. i spent nearly my entire life knowing that i liked boys and girls, but i never thought that i was bisexual. then it just clicked. i felt pretty, God damned stupid after that.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was really young, 7 or 8 or so, I thought that I could be with a woman in the long-term, but I didn't connect that with the idea of being gay. I was attracted to a girl for the first time when I was about 13, and it took a couple of years after that to really realise and accept that I was interested in girls. At first I thought I was bisexual, but I realised over time that I'm pretty much only interested in girls. (It's about a 95%-5% split.)

5. Noah

I spent my life knowing that I liked boys, but It never clicked until I was 17. Probably because I didn't see any of the stereotypes in myself. I saw a movie on tv, and there was an awesome boy in it. I was looking at him the entire time. When I went online there were all these guys talking about how beautiful the female lead was. :roflmao:

That's when I began to do some research. It was confirmed for me when a friend said, "so huge boobs and a nice p---y don't turn you on?" and I was like "Ewwww!"

Don't think you're not gay/bi because of stereotypes. Most people are normal.

6. riddlerno1

I suppose ive always known since i was bout 7 or so but i didnt name it till i was about 12. then spent the next 13 years trying to be straight. how i knew- i guess it was at school when everyone would be looking at the girls and thinking wow, shes fit and i would be secretly thinking well 'HE'S cute' and not feeling that spark when i saw an attractive girl.

7. pirateninja

Always known, always tried to deny it. Seriously, when I was really young, I used to imagine marrying my best friend (who was female) and I always imagined myself as the groom :roflmao: I finally came to terms with it when I stopped denying it, which was 3 and a half years ago, when I was 14.

8. Derek the Wolf

When I was 16. I think it's harder to figure out when you're bi, just because you have the justification "hey, I like the opposite sex. all's good here." So yeah, I dragged my feet with it.

9. ScentedRegrets

I would answer this quesiton, but Noah and I seem to have had the same EXACT experience :slight_smile: BTW, what movie were you referencing? Mine was Walking Across Egypt with my boy Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please note - this story is apparently VERY atypical.

First off, know that I am very non-visually attuned. I can see just fine, but for some reason, I don't process as much information visually as most people seem to. Because of this, it's EXTREMELY rare for somebody to "catch my eye". I don't see someone across the room that makes my heart beat faster, or causes me to go back and look again. It just doesn't happen. If I want to ogle someone, I have to make the conscious decision to look. I have to mentally say, "I am going to look at this person in a sexual manner." I know - it's weird, but that's the way I'm built.

Anyway, I was 19 or 20, in college, and wondering why the hell I hadn't fallen for some girl yet. I had dated a couple, but really, they were just friends. I never went so far as to hold hands - I just liked hanging out with them, and never really considered them "girlfriends". But all my friends were dating like crazy, and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't ever compelled to do so.

So, one day, I just had the thought. "Maybe I'm gay." I wasn't scared of the thought, but I was pretty dismissive. I mean, I'm 20. If I was gay, I think I would've had some sort of inkling of it. But I decided I may as well give it a try. I went outside my dorm, sat at one of the benches out front, and waited for a semi-attractive guy to come by so I could ogle him.

Luckily, I didn't have long to wait. Within a minute or so, a guy jogged by wearing nothing but those black short jogging shorts. I sort of gave him the once over surreptitiously, and then, once he ran by, I stared at his ass with a bit more vigor.

...and I sprung MAJOR wood. I'm surprised my jeans didn't rip open. I don't think I actually yelled, "Holy shit, I'm GAY", but I may as well have.

It took me a little time to get used to the fact. I started fantasizing about guys exclusively, and my sex drive went through the roof. I waited until I was pretty sure this "phase" wasn't going away before coming out...which, sadly, was right AFTER I graduated. Thus depriving myself of the best chance to "play around". Ah well. It all turned out great. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. EM68

For a long time I was attracted to men but did not think I was gay. I thought maybe I was bi and if I "found the right woman" I could fall in love with them. Up to a few years ago I tried dating woman but I felt nothing no attraction to them. When I would go out with my friends they would all look at attractive woman and gauck at them. I would think to myself that their dates and the guys they were with are quite hot. After a lot of self contemplation and struggles I finally came to the conclusion that I'm gay. For a while I was fighting it and had a bunch of self hate. Now I came to terms and I feel a lot better about myself.

#11 EM68, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  12. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

I started feeling an attraction to other guys when I was around the age of 13 or so. I denied it at the time and thought I was just going through a phase. Well, here it is ten years later and that phase certainly hasn't died.

I always did find women physically attractive, just not sexually. It never really clicked that I was gay until I was 21 after going to a gay marriage debate at uni. I carried that secret burden for a good 8 years before acknowledging and accepting it.

I can't really answer the "how I knew" since that's the way things kinda always were.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've known I liked men since I was about eight years old when I saw a magazine ad of a bride and groom, and though the guy was much more attractive than the girl even though they were both paid models. I didn't realize that there was a word for that type of feeling until 11 years old, and from then until about 14 I forced all sexual thoughts out of my head, or tried to. I wanted so badly to be straight, but it wasn't until just last August that I finally allowed myself to think about the subject. I told myself that enough was enough, I wasn't getting anywhere, and I was then able to be fully open and come out to myself.

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

15. MusicIsLife

12 or 13, though i didnt accept it till i was 18.

16. Jeimuzu

It's odd with me. There wasn't such a black-and-white way of thinking of it. It wasn't just that one day, I suddenly thought "I'm gay!". I think when I mentally began to refer to myself as gay, I don't think it felt like the first time I did it. Normally, I'd remember something like that otherwise. I think I had a subconscious knowledge and acceptance from the age of around 12, a conscious acceptance when I was about 13, and I came out to one person when I was 14. Then I didn't start coming out any more until I was about 18, hahah!

17. jazzrawr

Hmmmmm...
    I was in grade 6 when i first had feelings for a girl...and it was a teacher XD
    She was amazing. :slight_smile:

Erm...Yeah, and i fell reeeeally hard for one of my good friends in garde 9...and i was like "I'm so gay. >.<"

Then i convinced myself I was bi...then i realized i had to stop fooling myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And here I am. :grin:

18. Matty

I was 12, and puberty was really kicking in (I started a little after I turned 10...), and I just realized that when I saw men and women together, I was more interested in what the man looked like. Simple as that. I came out, finally, 7 months ago.

19. kramer362

wow that sounds like me, down to the ages and everything. Funny how a person can stay in such hardcore denial until something bizarre makes you admit it..

20. JayC

JayC Guest

I was very young in age when i realized i had feelings for guys. I had girlfriends to cover this up because like i have said my mom is not supportvie of LGBT people. Well i came out to my best friend Matthew he freaked out a nd i said i was just kidding. I came this year out to BJ, Cory, and a few others at the same time. BJ is also gay and took advantage of the situation. But now everyone except my mom aunt and uncle and one of my cousins dont know, also most of my older church members don't know.