1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trichotillomania Hair Help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ashley2103, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Ashley2103

Can someone help me figure out some hair styles to cover up my hair pulling issue? I am growing my hair so it is still short, but I am wondering for when it is long enough to mess with lol.

I have a tendency to pull out the hair in front (grrr and the right side of the back of my head, though this fact may be useless :eusa_doh:slight_smile:, and it is making it look like I am balding [about 2-3 inches of balding look in front....don't have a ruler in my room atm, just a guess with my fingers], because it is so bad. I am trying to control pulling out my hair, but it is rather annoying when I catch myself off guard.

Though, if I should just shave my head and start all over (Which would be really annoying), then please recommend it.

Thanks.

2. Yosia

Take something everywhere with you which you can play with when you get the urge to pull out your hair. Such as some blu-tack.
    Or if it is the pain you like then maybe put an elastic band around your wrist and flick it against your wrist when you feel the urge to pull your hair out.

3. black-cat

Trichotillomania follows me round like a curse. Both my parents, 2 family friends and my best friend have/had Trich. I am so sorry that you have this cruel illness, I can tell how debilitating it is.

My buddy shaved her head, and it just moved onto her eyelashes. So yeah, it will cure your scalp- plucking issue, but it will most likely move onto something else/somewhere else. The same with my mum's friend. He went from his scalp hair to his arm hair.

What is your hair type? Thick? Thin? Dark? Light? I would recommend a short, few inches long at most, hair cut. Spikey kinda thing. This cut seems to work well as it is long enough to cover the bald patches, normally, but not get in your face/ alert you the the hair when you aren't pulling. Also, because a pixie cut is very versatile, you can have it sleeked back/forward/up/ down whatever the hell you like depending on the patch.

Pompoms seem to help. My friend...plucks? pulls? at them, instead of her hair. Or there are tangle toys which seem to be very helpful to many people.

Good luck, I really hope you can find a style to help cover it and you will feel better soon. :slight_smile: