1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal statement arrrrrgh!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Sep 21, 2008.

1. partietraumatic

So i've just finished writing my personal statement :slight_smile: . I don't know if other countries have this-its basically a short thing you have to write about yourself and it goes on your form which gets sent of to whichever unis you apply for. So the idea is you say like why you want to study the subject you do,what sparked your interest in it etc, and then also a little about yourself and your other interests.

well ive just finished it,but im convinced mine is rubbish! :frowning2: has anyone else had to do or done this?! im worried that mine isn't very good and i won't get to where i want to go aaaarrrrgh lol

2. Noah

I just did it, and mine is utter crap. I wish i could offer advice, but at least I can offer sympathy!

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library

This is from another site I moderate. It's owned by an academic company and the wiki section has been made from scratch by the users who are at university level or higher, and even has contributions from exam boards and universities. The forum itself is bigger than the UCAS forum so it should give you an idea how reliable it is. :wink: If you read a few pages on there then it should tell you what your PS should be having etc, and as it's written by people who are at well established universities (such as Oxbridge) then you can be certain that they know exactly what they are talking about.

If you have read through that and you want feedback on your personal statement then you can get it reviewed by a PS Helper (who is either a current student or a graduate) in the Personal Statement forum. the PS Helper who reviews your personal statement will be doing or will have done the subject course you are doing. It's all private so you don't need to worry about having anybody spot it and copy it as the only people who can access it are the ones who are approved by the staff (PS Helpers) or are staff members. PS Helpers also need to provide evidence that they are or having attended university so don't worry about any dodgy people in there, they are all legit. They will point out the weak parts of your statement and offer you advice on how to make it stronger, and you can post new drafts for them to review until everything they have pointed out is fixed.

Hmm, this sounds like an advertisement. >.< Anyways, if you're worried about your personal statement then that site will be great use for you. :slight_smile: I have been involved with the PS applications on there before and can say that it is uber useful, and they do know what they are talking about.

4. riddlerno1

yeah, i remember doing this when applying to uni. Everyone always thinks that it is such a hassle to do but u know as long as it shows you to be the all rounded academic and multi faceted person which i am sure you are then it should be fine!