1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you show signs of being gay as a young child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Sep 27, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interpret this however you like.

I've often heard parents claim that they guessed their child might be gay based on their behavior, going back as early as their young childhood. Often it involves displaying traits of the opposite gender and stereotypical behavior, but often they are right in their assumptions.

For example, as a kid, I used to like to dress up in my mom's clothes, I had an Easy Bake oven, I liked the color pink and had a pair of pink sunglasses, there are photos of me with ribbon or a flower in my hair...now of course I also was a boy who liked digging in the mud, playing with Hot Wheels and Legos and biking. But those other things did cause my parents to think "I wonder..." without making any definite conclusions. Then when I was a little older, I remember at age 9 really liking a boy in my class and holding hands with him and all that.

Gay people: Did you display any opposite-gender traits/tendencies/stereotypes as a young child?

2. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favourite song when I was 4 was "It's raining men".

I might as well have tattooed a rainbow on my forehead

3. Candace

Yes! I liked Britney Spears, did curtsy :lol: sometimes for my mom, along with having a small crush on one of my classmates in the 3rd grade.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I had crushes on all the boys in my grade and I listened to N-Sync and had over a 100 stuffed animals that I used to pretend were the cast and crew of my tv show, of which I was director, head writer, and lead actor. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I loved to play with Power Rangers, and rejected girly stuff. When I was 7 or 8, I had an obvious crush on my favorite female single and asked my mom if I could kiss her.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^That's cute :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I once said that a young male newscaster on TV was "pretty". My parents never forgot that :icon_redf

7. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I made my dad buy me a black ken doll, because he is adorable ...wait... DAD YOU TURNED ME GAY I BLAME YOU!!!!!

8. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I played with dolls and liked the color pink, female characters were my preferred choice in video games too.

Studies suggest that LGBT children are less gender conforming than their heterosexual peers which I believe is true, but it depends, I know there are some gay men and women that always fit their gender "role."

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. Though I didn't play with dolls, or dress up in female clothes, I did like other boys in a way that even then went beyond merely liking them, as in wanting to hug and kiss my best friend, and be more physical than might be usual. Tickling, wresting, and such, too, which is pretty typical...and I still like! With girls, I never felt this, and they seemed to smell funny. (no offence, but one odd thing is I've always had a keen sense of smell, and it figures into who I'm attracted to)

I was no good at sports, always got picked last for teams in gym, but did tend to do a lot of 'boy' things, growing up in a remote area of northern Michigan. I loved to take long walks in the woods with my dog, cross country ski in the winter, plant things, help my folks with the gardens and horses, go horseback riding, go swimming, inner-tubing, and canoeing. But I never liked guns or hunting, and tended to like to observe nature, and find it beautiful and mysterious. I also liked art from a very young age, and when we went into town, at the library, I'd always look at the art books, things like Goya and Picasso, say, when I was 7. And the few times a year we went to a big city like Detroit or Chicago, I always wanted to go to the museums.

So I wasn't like too many other boys, but not really effeminate...mainly, I recall longing to have friends. I was an only child till 8, and where we lived, it was too far to walk to anyone's house, so for a lotta years, it was just my dog and me, out in the woods, and me, wishing for a (boy) friend my age to be with.

#9 HuskyPup, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  10. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the kids in my class streaked through the swimming pool area when I was in primary school. I was a little too interested.

11. BelleFromHell

I was never a butch, but I did show more interest in video games than Barbie dolls. Their faces creeped me out. I also showed obvious signs not related to tomboyism, the most obvious one being my zero interest in men. My parents found out before I did, lol.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I've always been kind of a tomboy, but I wouldn't say it was very extreme. I liked playing with girl toys like Barbie dolls, and playing dress-up with my sister. But the way I dressed was almost androgynous. I didn't want to wear sparkly clothes or use makeup or get my ears pierced, and I hated going to the mall. I didn't really get why my friends cared so much about fashion... Most of my friends were girls, but I was obsessed with trying to kiss them, so they were kinda weirded out by me... :confused:

13. AlezinwondRland

I remember in primary school, me and my friends liked playing pretend. We'd make up a scenario, a story, with characters and relationships and personas. There was a girl in my group of friends who I remember gave me a funny feeling in my stomach when i was around her. I was always doing things for her and trying to make her think I was cool. Then when we played Pretend, it would always be me and her who played characters that were in love. At the time, I didn't try to figure out or think into why I got on like this around my friend, and now thinkin back its hilarious because I know exactly why :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha

14. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoah ummm no. All I remember is being really jealous of and drawn toward attractive guys my age.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not really; When I was a little girl , I hated playing sports I was very feminine love dresses. Same as I am now. The only thing thought is I was attracted to other girls and I kissed girls back then and I didn't have attraction to boys. I think my dad knew I was a lesbian because he caught me kissing a girl. He wouldn't even let me see a woman naked on t.v.. or in movies.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The thing with me is that I'm aesthetically attracted to people of any gender, so before I hit puberty I thought finding boys cute was equal to wanting to date them (which was reinforced by heteronormativity). My actual sexual attraction to girls didn't surface until about 7th grade.

I remember once though, I was maybe eight or nine, I was at the swimming pool with some of my friends and they talked about how it was okay for girls to kiss girls on the cheek. That absolutely delighted me.

I was also a bit of a non-gender conforming child, I liked Hot Wheels as much as Barbies and I went through alternating phases of loving dresses and pretty things, and hating dresses and wanting to wear lots of dark colours. Not super radical, but even today, I consider myself a tomboy femme, so it's not surprising I was more along the lines of a "regular" girl when I was a kid.

The biggest indicator came later: I didn't understand my mum's awkwardness about "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry. I thought it was a really cool song when it came out...

I really didn't show that many signs before puberty, and I'm still figuring out my identity, so it's really interesting reading other people's experiences.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

nah i was just literally never interested in guys or boy groups or anything

19. Blossom85

The only things I can think of was liking Rugby League and v8 supercars, and loved playing car racing games on ps2 and also basic instinct and golden on.. I dunno if that is really showing signs of being gay/bi or just having other interests as well.. My sister and my mum make sure to buy my 2 and a half niece toys that are normally considered boys toys as well as girls toys.. She has dinosaurs and a few other things as well.. I think in this day and age.. You can like whatever you like and it doesn't necessarily mean you will be straight or gay.. Again.. It is societies perception that says boys playing with doll is not normal or girls playing with cars is not normal, not our own and little kids don't know that is something they shouldn't play with... They just wanna play with whatever makes them happy.

20. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

A had a "phase" of being a tomboy when I was 8/9. But I don't think it really relates to anything with me being gay from what I recall. I only acted like a stereotypical boy is because I've always been showed that women were inferior. I didn't want to be grouped as "weak" but as I 'grew up' I learned that that's not the case. But now that I think about it maybe that can be a 'sign' since I favored to be seen as stronger and dominant? :confused:
    Other than that, the 'gay' signs I showed is how I was attached to girls more. I literally remembered being observant about ever little details about them like their hair, smell etc. Also when my relatives would tease me about having a boyfriend I would always cringe at them lol.