1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identical twins and homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

What are your thoughts on the argument that twin studies where one identical twin is gay and one identical twin is straight disprove the notion that homosexuality is "all nature, not nurture"

Are there any other twins on this forum that would like to chime in on twin relationships in general? Growing up an identical twin, there were always a lot of unique challenges I faced that led to some insecurities. There's a stereotype where a lot of people say twins, especially identical twins, make bad spouses because their partners will always be second fiddle to their "true soulmate" - aka, their twin.

While me and my sister are extremely close, I have been distancing myself a bit lately. I get very, very insecure when people don't know who I am or make me feel like I'm not an individual (I know they don't do it on purpose though). I try to dress very differently from my sister, and I've even considered dying my hair differently to further separate our appearance. But I still get insecure at times when making new friends, because I think they might find the whole twin thing weird/intimidating or be put off by it. I would guess that with a boyfriend or girlfriend, the problem could be worse.

Any thoughts on this topic of twin homosexuality studies, or twin relationships in general? I sometimes wonder if I would get jealous of her future boyfriends. I wonder how this common predicament - twins and their relationships - will be further complicated for me when the whole gay/straight dynamic is added to the mix. Suffice to say it's a pretty uncommon phenomenon, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone who can quite identify. I wish I could find someone in the same boat as me though.

I'm curious to see what people think.

2. Dakeli27

I honestly don't think orientation is genetic, or at least solely genetic. However, I also don't think you can raise someone to be one or another orientation, so it doesn't really make a difference. Even kids raised by gay parents don't show a higher rate of homosexuality, so the "it's a learned behavior" thing is bs.
    I din't think you should distance yourself from your sister. It might become a problem eventually, in which case do what you have to, but until then, there's no reason to make things bad between you two.

3. Candace

I'm a twin and he's straight. Don't distance yourself from your sister please. She should be the one that you count on for anything :/.

4. Blossom85

I'm a twin.. However my sister and I are fraternal twins, not identical and she is very much straight.. Married with a 2 and a half year old.

Don't distance yourself from her either.. I know the feeling though cause when my sister began dating her now husband.. I felt jealous he was basically taking her away from me cause we used to go to the movies, football games and stuff together and it all of sudden seemed she didn't have time for me anymore.. I think I finally confided in my mum who them spoke to my sister and she began including me in things and stuff.. So I know feeling.. Been there.. Done that.. Just don't push her away and don't distance yourself from her.

5. LD579

I mean, in a way it's true that's it's not strictly speaking all genetics. Epigenetics is what most people are thinking it is, which is about gene expression and how genes are turned on or off depending on certain things. For what it's worth, I have an identical twin who is straight. Certainly a big factor of a spouse would be that he'd have to get along with my twin to an extent. Ultimately, though I know what you mean about wanting to differentiate yourself, that won't be accomplished by distance from your twin necessarily. Just focus on yourself, you know? It can be like having a close sibling but a fair bit closer while looking very similar too. It's ultimately not that big of a deal once people get to know you.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well concerning orientation... would it be possible if both would be bi, relying on circumstances... who you meet etc... one chooses a female partner and one a male partner ?

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be an interesting read for you. I learned in genetics that many traits (that are influenced by multiple variables) have been studied in identical twins (which have the same DNA but not necessarily the same environment, though environment is often similar), and many complex traits (which I believe would include homosexuality.... also things like psychological issues and risks of disease) have a particular percentage that is influenced by genetics (how often both twins have said trait) and the remaining percentage is assumed to be environmental. It's very interesting and identical twin studies give a lot of insight into heredity of complex traits and insight on the nature vs nurture debate.

Skimming the Wikipedia article, it appears that homosexual individuals are not actually "born" that way, but most likely have a slight predisposition that may increase the chances that their environment will turn them gay. Actually, taking another glance, it seems the numbers from different studies vary a lot. Either way, your father is right that it's not likely completely genetic. Regardless, like your genes, you're stuck with the past environment that may have influenced who you are.

And now for a rant about people who claim they "were born this way" and that makes being gay okay. Even if it's not genetic who cares? People should mind their own business.

8. Aquilo

I don't think this disproves that homosexuality is a hard-wired behaviour instead of a learned one.

I think you can compare this to fingerprints. Two twins don't have the same fingerprints and twins don't have to have the same sexuality.

Genes don't control everything a human will be. In the development of a genetic twin, the first difference can be epigenetics (molecules which determine which parts of DNA is active, which are not inherited like DNA). Then there will be environmental factors like hormones and things like that in the womb and when you grow up.

And then there's randomness. This plays a more crucial role than most people would think. Development isn't simply: you have gene A, which says that your arm is going to be 1 meter long. It's messy. You start with cells with different concentrations of signalling molecules on both ends and other genes interact with that to start growing different cells on those ends.

But slight differences in starting position can give massively different results. This is one of the many reasons why cloning can be so extremely difficult, genes alone aren't enough, they're only going to work if the situation of the embryo is right. And the one part of the body where you can easily see this effect are the fingerprints. (Another nice one are twin/cloned calico cats, where the placement of fur colours is totally random).

So even if your DNA is the same, your brains will be different. So this doesn't mean that sexuality is a learned behaviour, it's likely to be hard wired in the brain during development and is different because of those other factors than DNA. If sexuality was actually a learned behaviour, conversion therapy might work, but it simply doesn't.

9. Hexagon

There tends to be a weak correlation between twins, higher than it would be if there were no biological influence on sexuality. Also, I believe twins, even identical ones, can have different epigenetic markers, something that has been suggested may be responsible for sexuality.

10. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Totally agreed with this, identical twins aren't always 100% identical, epigenetics and hormone exposure also play a known role, homosexuality isn't determined solely on genetics. Look at height, there are genetic factors to height but the environment (nutrition) can play a role in determining it as well. Sexuality also has genetic factors but isn't solely determined by them, hormonal exposure and epigenetics also play a role.

EDIT: here's an interesting article:
    http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_160579.asp

#10 micstar615, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. Nick14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am an identical twin and from my experience I think it is unlikely that genes alone play a role in determining sexuality. My twin brother is straight (well, he has a girlfriend so if he wasn't that would be awkward, lol) and I can safely say that I am a little bit less straight... Ok maybe a lot less straight.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One major study I saw said 52%. That's not conclusive enough. At 2/3 and upward, I might have taken notice.

13. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others have mentioned, epigenetics is likely to play an important role in this. Just because the genetic starting material is the same it doesn't mean that all the genes are expressed at the same level, if at all. My twin and I are genetically identical, but there are some pretty obvious physical differences between us.

I'm not sure how I feel about the role of hormones in the womb, as it's a shared environment, so that wouldn't explain how one twin ends up straight and the other gay. Also, the environment that we grew up in as kids was the same, so I can't think of any environmental factors that could have caused this.

As far as the whole twin relationship goes, we tend to get on really well. We fought a lot as kids but we always had each others back. We were both pretty independent though and made sure that we were always in separate classes at school whenever possible. We also had completely different friend groups at school, although we hung out together in the same group outside of school.

You don't say how old you are, but I don't think there's anything wrong with distancing yourself from your twin a bit, especially if you're a teenager. The whole point is that you're trying to find your own identity and it can be frustrating when people refer to you as 'one of the twins' etc. It doesn't mean that you can't still have a close relationship with your sister, though.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not a twin, but I do know a little about this. To make things short and simple:
    The reason one is straight and the other is gay is because one absorbs more hormones than the other. Hormone exposure in the womb is pretty much what makes a baby gay or straight.

15. Anongirl123

I don't think I was very clear. I'm not necessarily "distancing myself" intentionally (even though she's commented that I have seemed a lot more withdrawn and less talkative as of the past two months or so), but more so mentally preparing for a life without her. As little as one or two years ago, I couldn't even fathom the idea of living away from her, but now that we're both applying for college and have gotten older, I'm trying to force myself to picture that scenario. I know I need to become totally comfortable with the idea, because I don't want to be one of those sets of twins that need to live within 10 minutes of each other and visit each other every day.

I'm trying not to :frowning2: . We always had our fair share of fighting and we clash on a lot of things. I'm not trying to distance myself intentionally, even though I feel like I haven't really been my old self lately. I've just felt constantly anxious/drained/depressed thinking about all this. I'm a very, very private person, and even though I share a lot with my sister, I don't feel like I could ever talk to her about this. To be honest, the only people I feel comfortable talking to are people on the internet, because it's very anonymous.

I'm 18 years old. I have been trying to find my own identity, but it's hard. A part of me just wants to stay attached at the hip and live close to each other forever, because that's what's easy and comfortable for me. But I know it probably isn't very healthy, and I know no one wants to be in a relationship with someone who's too attached to their sibling. It's a difficult thing to face though. I admit that when she's not with me, I somehow feel like there's some missing hole that won't be filled until she's next to me again. It's very weird. I almost get physically uncomfortable when she's been away for too long, and I only feel comfortable relief again when she's close by.

Really? How did you get over that? And how did her new husband feel about the situation? I'm sort of worried that if I date/marry a guy, because that's what feels "normal" society-wise, my sister will be more respectful to traditional boundaries. But if I don't, she might look at a potential girlfriend as "just a friend" that I spend too much time with. I feel guilty admitting that I would feel the same way if the roles were reversed. If my sister gets a boyfriend, I wouldn't really care about her spending more time with him: even though I would feel a little lonely at first, I would get used to it and find comfort in knowing that the relationship she has with some guy is completely and totally different than her relationship with me. But , if by some small chance she's gay (and has just been hiding it very well) and got a girlfriend, I would feel very... weirded out initially, and I think I would feel more 'threatened' by her girlfriend for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Wow! I didn't know there were so many gay/straight twin examples on this forum. Care to share more? :slight_smile: At this point, the thing that helps me most with coping is finding examples of older people like me who have "been there, done that", and hearing their story.

16. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Austin and Aquilo made great points. Twin studies are some of the most useful material we have on this topic and show conclusively that sexual orientation is not purely genetic. Of course, it is possible that twins who have different sexualities diverge because of differential hormone exposure in the womb, and that's that; but it could go beyond that to post-natal experience. AdelOwl suggested that the environment he and his twin shared was identical, but perhaps in human terms no environment is identical for two people, even when they are raised in the same house? There will always be different experiences and different emotions, different encounters at home and at school?

I really feel for you when it comes to the emerging distance between you and your sister. It's tricky - I don't have much to add to the advice above, not having any experience of this sort of thing. The other thing going on is I guess your dad; I understand what it's like to have a parent mouth off about homosexuality, how queasy it can make you feel. Try not to let it get you down too much! (*hug*)

#16 YaraNunchuck, Sep 28, 2014
  17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

a researcher's wet dream

18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've read about things like this before, and while I forget the exact rates, I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of "if one identical twin is gay there is a 60% chance that the other one will be as well. A lot of being gay is linked to hormones in the womb and genetics, but it's not the only factor.

19. jahow95

Well... assuming that the studies can be trusted, it does prove beyond reasonable doubt that sexuality is not decided wholly by pre-birth factors.

Statistics I've read are something along the lines of,

where one sibling is gay:

52% of the time their identical twin will also be
    30% of the time their fraternal twin will be
    20% of the time their non twin sibling will be
    11% of the time their adopted sibling will be (same post-birth environment, completely different genes)

The numbers are around that, but I'm not sure their precise values. What I am sure of is that they are in that order. Again, assuming that the study can be trusted (interviewees being honest, and a large sample of people asked), this shows that both nature and nurture play a part.

20. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, identical twin studies don't prove that sexuality is not wholly determined by pre-birth factors, it proves that genes aren't the only factor. The other known factors (epigenetics, prenatal environment) are in fact pre birth factors. As far as I'm concerned, there's no credible finding of any post birth factors that cause homosexuality, at least not to a significant effect.

Another example that relates to this is the fact that identical twins have different fingerprints and sometimes different weights when born. Both of these characteristic differences occur because of the development in the prenatal environment, so again nature and nurture but the nurture has nothing to do with post natal environment.

#20 micstar615, Sep 28, 2014