1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Droppin' them G's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Sep 27, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Do you drop your "G's" (from the gerund, participle) when you speak? Do you only do it in certain situations?

Many a hopeful political candidates have trotted down the path of dropping their g's when they want to seem like common folk. Obama has done it. Romney did it.

I do tend to drop my g's in regular conversations and may sound like: I went runnin' 'round the park and then stopped at the drinkin' fountain.

However, I also know that it is considered by some to be a sign of a lack of class/formal education/ or whatnot and tend to consciously try to not drop the g's in more "formal" settings."

What about y'all? If you DON'T drop the g, do you consider those who do as less educated, of lower socioeconomic status, or maybe a sign of our crappy education system :lol:?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I often say gonna and gotta, and that's all I can think of. But that wasn't really what you were asking :lol: I don't think I drop the g's in conversations :slight_smile:

3. Candace

Not really. I usually saying gotta and gonna, and that's about it.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually don't drop g's, but it depends on how/where I'm using the word in the sentence I guess. I wouldn't say it's a less intelligent thing to do...

5. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i do it pretty often too its normal

6. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't drop Gs but like the people above I use gotta and gonna. I don't think it means people are less educated, sometimes it can be associated with the fact that dropping the Gs in some words make it easier for other sounds to flow.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes, in both contexts.

I am a big baller with a tall paper stack, who also happens to drop G's, at the end of some words.

LOL!

But seriously, I drop G's at the end of some words. Not all, but close to 98%, I'd say.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I really thought this was going to be about droppin' Gs on cars or something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, I leave out the g's in gerunds and progressive forms of verbs when I am speaking quickly and informally, but otherwise I do not.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't drop the G from the gerund, nor do I use "gotta" or "gonna" or "wanna" in speech. The only case I would use "gonna" in is if I have to say "going to go," in which case it's easiest to say "gonna go," but I can just say "will go," or "going to," because "going to go/gonna go" are repetitive and a little awkward to say.

With the "ing" suffix, if I remove the G, it sounds very cramped and hampers my speech. Omitting it doesn't add any value to how I sound, so there's absolutely no point in it for me.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Rarely. I tend to speak "properly". Besides the occasional mess up in word order or "Engrish" scentence, if I've spoken only Japanese all day and suddenly have to respond to someone in English.. Haha

Sometimes I say ain't or gonna/wanna. Usually when I'm speaking casually to a friend.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bands will make her dance

12. C P

C P

It almost sounds more...normal, to me, when talking in slang like that, heh. As for the topic, I tend to drop my g's; I'll end up saying something like 'You ain't [b}foolin'[/b] nobody' or 'I'm not doin' anything'.

Hell, I tend to twist are/is, like when I'm wondering what the heck someone is doing; I'll yell to them 'What is you doin'?!'

I can't say it necessarily makes someone seem less educated because I'm used to hearing slang tossed around in general, that something like putting that g can sound kinda forced.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but not always. In this part of the country, "I'm gonna" is said as much as "I'm'a" or "I'munna." Listening to my tone of voice saying all of the above, "I'm going totell you something" sounds far more serious than "Ima tell you something," or "I'mmuna tell you something."

EDIT: "Something" always sounds like "sump-um" is where I'm from and I caught myself saying that when I said the above sentences aloud.

#13 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i have no idea

i have taken to dropping "an" from my vocabulary tho

my language and speaking was mega uptight until 21, when i decided to stop trying to be something i'm not

15. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't usually, but I think it also has to do with English being a second language to me. It doesn't sound odd either way to me, I've definitely never associated it with class/education or anything. It's just a linguistic difference.

16. Acm

Acm Guest

Sometimes I do. I don't really think it means someone's unintelligent, it's more of a dialect thing I think. I also say "gonna" and "wanna" a lot, or in words like "entertainment" or "interesting" I usually don't pronounce the first t.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not unheard of for me to drop the g, but I normally save it for situations that are fittin' to drop it in. I speak fairly casually when around friends, but I like keeping the g in my "ings"- otherwise, it would sound silly to me.

#17 An Gentleman, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  18. One Man Army

I say mornin' to my colleagues, and I am sure I do it in other words too. It's so widespread in English that I'm sure most people 'drop their g's' in some words, even when they don't realise it.

19. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but English is not my native language. We were not allowed to drop them in school. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I do drop some T's now, however. Words like that & but for instance.

20. Ryujin

It's a very normal part of my speech to drop 'g's and some 't's