1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randomcloud, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

So a cousin of mine posted this long paragraph status on how he felt like he was a woman trapped in a man's body. It sounded completely genuine and his mom and sister also commented that they "loved him no matter what" etc etc. Turns out a friend of his hacked into his page and it was a big joke the whole family found hilarious and played along with.

I get that "fraping" (as people seem to call it) like this happens all the time but I just don't think it's funny at all and, to be honest, I'm pretty mad at all of them (especially since the friend who hacked him said something like "just kidding, I'm not a shemale" and they nobody even spoke up about THAT).

Am I being too sensitive and it's all harmless fun or am I right in finding it offensive? :S

2. Hexagon

That does seem pretty cruel to me.

3. Blossom85

I would have found that quite offensive and cruel to me as well, that is just wrong I think to joke around about that particular subject.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't blame you, I would be pissed too

5. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I find it offensive as well. I see absolutely no humor in any of it, and I wonder how people can enjoy hurting others.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If your cousin didn't leave their Facebook up, it isn't hacking. It's just taking the computer/tablet/phone, and typing something. Now, if they actually did hack, well, there is a basis for a case there. It isn't a major deal to me, but when people call it 'hacking', it is kind of irritating. It'd be like me borrowing somebody's vehicle, and labeling it grand theft auto.

I don't think any harm was meant, in this situation, but that doesn't necessarily excuse it. Ignorance here, as usual, appears to be the culprit. People often times, are clueless about others/situations they have no connection to, and are even less friendly, or even helpful, towards them. But, you could say the same about other things, with other folks, too.

To sum it up. No, you aren't being too sensitive. You know this dismissive and ignorant attitude, is one of the contributing reasons, why our community is treated so poorly.

7. deadman1204

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How's it any different than posting on someones account that they are gay?
    Just because they are lying about being trans instead makes no difference.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I would be mad too

9. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, you're not at all overreacting. It's possible you're actually outing someone who's actually trans/gay/whatever or that their parents read it and they're not accepting and/or not in on the "joke".

10. Randomcloud

Sorry for using the word "hacking", I'm pretty technologically challenged

Acciocarrie- his family were definitely aware that it was a "joke", my father called them (to offer his support because he thought it was true too) and they were all like "wait, did you really believe it? That's so funny, *cousins name*'s friend posted it on his account to get him back for [some irrelevant thing]" etc etc O_O

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're fine. I just wanted to mention that. Besides, that wasn't aimed at you directly, but those who just find somebody's Facebook/social media open, and type something, then claim it was a hack.

(*hug*)

If one good thing did happen because of this, you have an idea of how people will react to such news. So, it wasn't a total loss.

12. Candace

Um, that is really offensive. I honestly don't blame you. I would be really angry as well :dry:

13. ChameleonSoul

I'd be angry too if I was in your place. That's not funny, it's just offensive!

14. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you're overreacting. It would bother me as well, to be playing with a situation like that. However, I find his family's reaction somewhat understandable because...

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

consider if your cousin actually has friends, and was actually just covering his ass after changing his mind about being open

low chance but eh, pretty shitty of them otherwise

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Just googled that term you used "fraping". I can't decide what's more disgusting, actually doing it or making light of rape by making a term like that.

17. One Man Army

Fraping was so 2010. It was mildly funny then, it's not funny now. Especially when it's about the subject that OP talked about. Not a laughing matter. You have every right to be annoyed.

18. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You aren't overreacting. The use of the word "shemale" can be really offensive to some... However, if they hadn't said that word, and the person who got hacked wasn't transgender, it seems they were just trying to play a little prank.

19. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, you're not overreacting. That was a pretty fucked up and insensitive thing to do. I'd be pissed too.

20. Randomcloud

Oh yes, to clarify I also find that word deplorable, it's the word my cousin's friend used in the comment box :S

--
    I agree with you guys, I guess ignorance is the key thing in this situation. I was taken off guard because we all live in a very progressive city, and the four of them are adults- I really didn't anticipate this immature behaviour from them. One positive thing from all of this is that yeah, at least I can appreciate how open-minded my dad is (he was reading lists about "how to be a good ally to trans people" bless him)