1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on LGBTQ and religion.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gfig, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to a church that my grandfather has been goi g to since he was a kid. Almost nobody from my fam goes there anymore but i was around so i went. Before everyone on both sides of my family left, my family was the most "powerful" and "ifluential" of anyone in church (its a big church). What i don't get is if they are all there to practice their beliefs, why should any one family have ANY influence? They are just their to worship their God. Makes no sense...

Christians say that being Gay is a sin. They say that all gays will go to Hell. Everyone sins, so why should their sins not count towards them going to hell and ours do? Makes no sense...

They are against gay marriage and just being gay. But they cannot surpress anyones feelings. They can't change their thoughts. And if all gays are going to hell anyway, then why do they care if we get married or express our love? Makes no sense...

If being gay is a sin, and God creates everyone, then why would he create gays? Some people say that the devil created gays. But then they say that God creates all men and women. Makes no sense...

They say that God loves all his children, then these so called "Christians" parade around with signs that say "GOD HATES FAGS". Makes no sense...

Not everyone, but A LOT of people are so hypocritical! Contradicting themselves and the Bible over and over! So what do you guys think?

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Before I learned I was a part of the LGBT community, I felt a huge resentment to anyone who was religious because they were hypocritical and ignorant. I was an LGBT ally. Since then, I've gotten better at accepting that people have religions and not generalizing every Christian to be a homophobe. But, as an agnostic atheist, I can't help feeling this disgust to religion. It divides us and makes us fight over simple things, like a person being gay. My parents are religious, but more in the spiritual way, and support all races and all LGBT people. But none of their spiritual/religious tendencies have rubbed off on me. I've held an iron stance on my lack of belief as long as I can remember.

A lot of famous Christian homophobes turn out to be closeted gays themselves, with internalized homophobia. To protect themselves from others and themselves, they hold up their Bibles and use the spin effect to persuade people that gays are sinning. I almost feel bad that they are so afraid of what they are. But then they choose to hurt innocent LGBT people and remain ignorant, which dims my pity. There are also a lot of Christians who are very accepting and are embarrassed by what their fellow homophobe Christians may say and do, but it never seems to me like they are the majority.

Religion has many beautiful aspects, but turns ugly very fast when sexuality pops up. Honestly, why can't we just rely on science? Stable, solid facts. Our world would be a more accepting place if it were that way, I believe.

#2 Tai, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. Hexagon

Those christians who hate queer people use their religion as an excuse to hate us. Sure, the bible condemns us, but it condemns pretty much everyone. They've got to choose who they hate. It's so terribly convenient when they realise god hates all the same people they do.

Want my advice? Just keep away from it. You don't have to go to church, and you don't have to be around people who hate you. They're powerless if they have no victims, and as they tend not to behave violently, being their victim is a choice.

4. Randomcloud

I agree, it doesn't really make sense. Why focus so much on the supposed "sin" of homosexuality when the Bible also lists eating shellfish, the Sabbath, women speaking in church, praying in public, etc as sins

5. One Man Army

Some people are able to reconcile a belief in their religion with the (possibly) homophobic teachings of said religion, but you might be better breaking away from it entirely. Do you think there is, or might be, a god?

6. Tardis2020

The Bible, The Torah, The Quran and almost all other religious texts are open to interpretation and have been used to spread hate. I don't know about the Christian Bible, but in the Torah it says the same famous lines, man shalt not lay with man the way he lays with women. However, it also says that if you are physically unable to follow a rule or principle from the Torah then you don't need to follow it. I don't know if this applies to Christianity, but just know that being gay does not mean you're going to Hell or breaking the rules of your religion.
    Also, there are other "sins" done every day by people that if they followed their own interpretation, they'd be in Hell.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really do think people can be both, gay and Christian. The Bible says a lot of things, but one must keep in mind the Bible does not say that two men or two women cannot be in love. There are only 7 verses about homosexuality and even more about divorce, but hundreds of verses about helping the poor and sick and about how money is the root to evil. Everyone sins, but despite all it says in the Bible, one must keep this quote in mind when deciding to spread homophobic bigotry.

Romans 13:10
    "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

Not all branches of Christianity are against LGBTQ+ people. Baptists, like the WBC, are a branch of anti-gay Christianity. However, they do not define the basis of all Christianity, or other religions for that matter.

#7 Skaros, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People who are religious are still normal people...aka they aren't perfect. A lot of them are arrogant, but I can a bunch of atheists who are arrogant too.

As a Jewish person, culturally and spiritually/religion-wise, I have never been told by anyone to hate gays because of religion itself (note: I'm not reform, so it's not the progressive wing of the religion).

The hate comes from the same place it always comes from...ignorance masked by an excuse. There is always a excuse for ignorance....doesn't mean that excuse is legitimate.