1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you enjoy watching heterosexual couples in TV/film?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

Weird question. Before I started questioning my sexuality (about two months ago or so), I used to really enjoy watching the straight couples in my favorite TV shows and movies. I never had any desire to have a boyfriend or be with any of the guys I knew in my own life, but in the "fictional world", I always thought those straight couples were cute and interesting to watch.

After questioning my sexuality, I've noticed that I now enjoy watching LGBT relationships in film and television a lot more, but not so much the straight relationships. Now when I see straight couples in film and television, I feel kind of "meh" about them, which makes me a little sad actually. I don't know why, but I think part of the reason I feel this way is because I get a little insecure, because the whole concept of gay and lesbian couples is very 'new' to me. Watching my favorite straight couples may just be a reminder of "what's normal"

Has anyone else felt this way shortly after questioning themselves?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I can understand why you'd feel that way.

That said, I don't. Well, not totally, I should say. Sometimes, I find the typical romantic comedy or male-female scenario, well, kind of overplayed. I mean, it's the "normal" orientation and "right" expression, so it's going to be almost everywhere. But for every three or four meh set ups, there is one or two all right ones. It's all about chemistry, and how those characters mesh.

At the end of the day, I just want good pairings. If they can radiate that, hell, I'm down. This goes for male-female, male-male, female-female, and everything above, below, around, or in general.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Sometimes. Like Kaiser said, it depends a lot on how well the characters click and the chemistry. I don't actually have a problem with seeing straight couples, I just wish there were more LGBT couples as well

4. Weekender

I totally get that. My mom is a big Grey's Anatomy fan, but I never really gave the show much attention until they wrote a lesbian couple into the show. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, when I was getting used to the idea of being gay. For a while, I went through a period where heterosexual couples seemed really boring to me.

But the feeling eventually faded for me. I don't think all tv couples are cute, but I think I've gotten to a point where I don't really care whether it's a straight or gay couple. All I care about now is whether the couple is realistic and has a good foundation. Of course, romantic movies (i.e. those based off of Nicholas Sparks books) still bore me to death.

5. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If the pairing dynamics work well and it's not a forced, cliched relationship, then yeah I do.
    But I also get what you're saying. Seeing an LGBT relationship is always a plus because I can identify with them. Of course,said relationship also has to work well and feel natural (not forced).

6. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I like watching straight couples potrayed just as much as gay/lesbian ones. In fact I ship more straight pairings than any other. I don't focus a lot on the genders of the couple. I just like seeing two people in love.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No not really , they make me jealous :dry:

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I am indifferent to it. Although I don't watch much films/shows involving romance anyway.

9. Blossom85

It depends for me as well. As long as the couples regardless of what coupling they are have a good chemistry and good connection with each other.. I don't like to see heterosexual couples or same sex couples just for the sake of it being there in a show or a movie..

10. Candace

It depends on how the chemistry is. For example, I really liked Jim Carrey and Jennifer Aniston in Bruce Almighty. They're both very funny and work well together.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If they are a good match, yes. Having found out that I am gay, I don't enjoy straight relationships as much as I used to, and am pickier about them than I am about gay relationships now. But I figure it's a phase that will pass when I get used to knowing myself as gay.

12. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just like couples and romance in general, so I like seeing heterosexual. Of course there are times when I'd rather see some homosexual couples...

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Not gonna lie I actually get really excited by really well-done close friendships, romances don't do much for me especially in films and movies (feels too short to really care) regardless of gender

14. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean. I guess I do feel "pickier" as well when it comes to heterosexual couples in fiction. I don't usually get quite as excited with them compared to how I might feel with a same-sex fictional couple. That's probably because I can relate to them better. But it's much better if it's done right, rather than just having the relationship there for the sake of existing. So, it really just depends.

15. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, I agree that as long as two characters have chemistry I'm down, regardless of gender. Peter/Gwen (TASM), Scott/Allison (Teen Wolf), Clint/Natasha (Marvel movies, haven't read enough of them in the comics) and Marko/Alana (Saga- not a film/show but still) are examples of some of my favourite hetero ships.

16. IrishEyes1989

I'm turned on by any combination of partners in film and tv. To me, it matters less what gender they are, than how hot they (and their sexual chemistry) are hehe.

17. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't mind.

18. White Knight

If they are old and wrinkely... yes.

Joking.

Depends on the story. Some relationships are written so fake, watching them feels like torture... gay or straight.

However slightly related to the topic, I was watching a lesbian movie... Loving Annabelle? A teacher and student falls in love and in one scene they were busted or something like that. I realized if they were a gay couple I would feel the scene, with lesbians I just rationalized it.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure. I like watching different couples on TV and in film. I like to assess their chemistry and if they seem well suited to each other. Most of the times they are straight couples you see in TV shows and films because the majority of the population is straight and that's what is delivered to the screen. It's not a problem for me. Since we're on this topic, I could bring up "Will and Grace." I watched that show once in a blue moon. I will say that, if a person turned on the TV and didn't have a clue what they were watching, most people would have found Will and Grace to be an attractive couple who were well suited to each other. I guess the casting agents did that on purpose!

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Dislike most heterosexual pairings with a passion. Just doesn't relate to me and I find the typical heteronormative dynamic to be boring. I just wish they would switch it up with couples like that, and I'd like it more. The reason why I like gay couples more is because they are usually less restrictive. There aren't gender roles usually, sex is more fluid (there's no 'real' sex act, and you can like or dislike anything), and generally they're more varied.

The one straight couple I actually like is a roleplay couple I made with a friend. The girl is dominant, non-romantic, and sadistic (in a consensual way), while her boyfriend likes to submit, is a crossdresser (always steals her clothing when she's not looking), is soft and sensitive and prefers to bottom, etc. Now if there were more straight couples that broke gender roles, I'd be all for them, and I'd support the heteronormative couples along with them more so since I could just view the normative ones as a preference and not a 'restrictive' all straight couples have to act like this' sort of way.

I'd like any gender pairing that has chemistry, but what I've written above are just situations that turn me off from typical straight pairings because I've grown up with heterosexist ideals surrounding my relationships and people forcing their hetero roles down my throat. Because of that I dislike a lot straight pairings since It's an annoying reminder of my experience, unless said straight pairings are more varied and 'queer'

#20 Fallingdown7, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014