1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politics-Guilt by Association

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Sep 29, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see a lot of ads in this election pitting democrats to Obama and that strategy annoys me. Not all democrats are alike or in the exact same path as the president or their party so the that kind of strategy of guilt by association annoys me to no end as a moderate democrat. What do others think of this?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually what the minority party does in the midterms to scare independents over to their side, without actually having to convince them that the alternative they provide would be any better.

People with Mitch McConnell who are trying to say Alison Lundergan Grimes is Barack Obama's dream candidate are laughable.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was how Republicans won as many seats as they did in the House in 2010: using Obama's picture in the South to eliminate the Blue Dog Democrats. It's called hyper-racialization, and right now, it's their only way of winning, since most of the Senators that are up for re-election this year are red-state Democrats.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Not gonna lie... Alison Grimes be lookin' good.

[​IMG]

It's pretty ugly in Kentucky, right now. The areas I frequent, it seems to be split right down the middle. Of course, different parts of those areas, lean one way more than the other. For example, you go to the 'rougher parts' of town, and Alison Grimes has a monopoly on signs and fliers. But you go into the town center, or to the town outskirts (where the wealthier live), and it leans more to Mitch McConnell.

I don't really like Mitch, but he holds tremendous power in comparison to his opponent. He can do things for Kentucky, if he really wanted to. Instead he sort of caters to the top income brackets, military families, and other Republican-heavy areas. If Grimes did prevail here, she'd have to work her way up, which means a delay in building rapport for Kentucky.

That said, Mitch's policies tend to trickle down, to folks like me, and I'd rather have a full glass than a few drops in my cup. So, Grimes might get my vote. I'd rather go third party, but I know, to even stand a chance of getting rid of McConnell, every single vote for Grimes counts. This is assuming votes even matter, but that's another topic for another time.

I do think it's hilarious, that folks have compared Mitch McConnell to a turtle. He does look like one, so much so, some folks, when he comes around here, have taken to singing that old Nick Jr. show theme, " Hey, it's Franklin! " from Franklin; which is a show about, you guessed it, a turtle.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a pathetic way of winning and sadly some people are dumb enough to fall for it. You cannot always put two and two together end of story.

6. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just like assuming all Republicans are anti-gay bigots :wink: *goes back to the lonely pro-gay/LGBT Republican table and whimpers *

But, in all seriousness, BryanM pretty much nailed it. Midterm elections are tough, mentally and electability wise, for the majority party. Always easier to blame the majority then prove your own worth, if you are the minority party.

7. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it is somewhat legit. Of course politicians of the same party don't agree on all political topics, but I'm pretty sure a Democrat Senator will support a Dem President. So if you want the Senate to oppose Obama, the only way for that to happen is to vote Republican (or an Independent that explicitly opposes Obama).

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Shoot wow, if people voting only based on looks, we know who would win. LOL. She can come to my "bluegrass" any day. :lol:

Anyways, guilt by association is common in a lot of things. There's a misconception that all LGBT are closeted or hypocritical, and that is just not true. I don't condone the preachers who are. If people realized how hard it literally is and puts a whole association of relationships in jeopardy, they would understand.

And LostLion, you are welcome at the pro-life, pro-LGBT libertarian table. :thumbsup:

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is very true. It does not even matter how bad the minority party is sometimes everything is blamed on the majority. But there is mental image of me yelling at the tv that the ad is bullshit and inaccurate and not true. Only a month left of that.