1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to go in NYC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by That one guy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm heading to New York over the October half term and was wondering if you could suggest any good shops or landmarks (bar the obvious) I should visit.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated :icon_bigg

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Well, aside from the Empire State Building and the 9/11 Memorial, there's just Times Square in general. It has been quite some time, since I went to New York City (1999 the first time, 2005 the second time), so I am sure some things have changed. But it should, for the most part, be similar enough.

The Statue of Liberty, if you can get to it. The line is really long at times, and you'll probably die of boredom, before you get to the top. It's nice to do once, just to say you've been up there, but just going to the island is fine enough.

Try some of New York's famous pizza. I don't live there, so I can't tell you the best pizza joint to go to. Maybe somebody else can?

Central Park is worth checking out. Many say it's an iconic kind of place, but I wanted to go, just because Home Alone 2: Lost in New York was set there. Yeah... really showing my age here, aren't I? LOL!

There's countless museums to see, if you're into that sort of thing. A few stores to browse through as well. I enjoyed the toy stores, both times when I went, because it is always cool to see the gadgets and gizmos they have.

I think that's quite a bit.

3. Ophelia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like the Cloister's Museum in Ft. Tyron park. Plus, they have a wildflower garden and during this time of year all of the leaves start to change. And, I think there's a Ren. Fest. there during October, but I could be wrong on that.

Just make sure to enjoy yourself, New York is a great place, I used to live there and I miss it often :slight_smile:

4. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's a mall in Columbus circle that has a lot of great stores. Also, Grand Central has a lot of things to do. The American Mueseum of Natural History is really amazing too. If you can make the trips, the Bronx Zoo and Brooklyn Aquarium are really unlike any other in the world. Let's see what else? Freedom Tower, Empire State, Chrysler, Times Square, Broadway. Restaurant wise, Greenich Village, Chelsea, and 5th Avenue all have great places. Just be careful in Greenwich, people's gaydars are always turned up on high there LOL! You have no idea how many times I have been there with my cousin and guys start giving me the "I'm gay too" look.

5. Aquilo

Disclaimer: info may be outdated.

Top of Rockefeller centre. Nice view, lesser queueues than the Empire state (and you can see the Empire state building from there).

Grand Central looks nice.

I thought that Wall Street was a bit overrated. I hadn't expected buildings without windows and trash and such (but this is a bit common in NY, some buildings have nice fronts, but ugly backsides and it is a big city with things like trash and roads in disrepair).

I liked Central Park and the New York Botanical Garden a lot.

Taking the public ferry from the Southern part of Manhattan to somewhere (I think I went to New Jersey) and immediately back is nice for the view from the water and quite cheap. My ferry actually went past the statue of Liberty.

6. Candace

I'm originally from there, so I can help.

Go to Union Square. They usually have an outdoor market with fresh produce and all different types of food. Walk down a few blocks to Broadway and 12th Street in Chelsea and you'll find the Strand Bookstore. Super huge! It's four stories. The upper level has rare, ancient, and the most expensive books ever in existence, I kid you not. There is a huge LGBT book section, foreign language book section, and pretty much everything under the sun.

Go to Grand Central Station. Why? You might be going there anyway if you're taking the 7 train or any of the Metro North trains, which run through there. A lot of shops on the lower level, and Grand Central is very close to Times Square, eight blocks south of Rockefeller Center (too early for the tree, I'm afraid), Radio City Music Hall, and the 42nd Street Library, famous for its lion statues that adorn its entrance.

For me personally, I go to St. Patrick's Cathedral (I don't like going to church, but I believe in God). I usually go there, light a few candles for some people that are on my mind and I want to say a quick prayer for.

Theodore Roosevelt's birthplace is also in Lower Manhattan, if you're into American history. It's on 20th Street near Park Avenue near the Flatiron Building.

The South Street Seaport is nice for lunch, shopping, and is right next door to the Brooklyn Bridge (which you can walk across on the promenade. This is one of my favorite places).

You could, if you wanted to, take the 4 train from the Brooklyn Bridge/Chambers Street Station all the way up to Grand Central Station, then walk a few blocks (it's 16 blocks, 42nd- 58th street (south side of the park)), but I trust you that the blocks are literally separated by 100-200 feet. You can cross 5 blocks in 5 minutes. On your way, try some roasted chestnuts, hot apple cider, or a hot dog...

and enjoy my hometown :grin:

7. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Rockefeller centre and the empire state building are good places to see, but so is the relatively new 9/11 memorial. Those are the only places I personally liked but you aren't me.

8. Tardis2020

I love the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There is so much history in that building. There's also an enormous exhibit on ancient Egypt there and a ton of renaissance art. Not to mention a ton of ancient armor and weaponry. Of course anyone who goes to NYC has to go to Central Park. I also recommend the Bronx Zoo, although that takes pretty much a whole day to do. If you feel like going to Long Island, then I recommend Sagamore Hill, Theodore Roosevelt's house. There's also a couple of places on Long Island to go whale watching, iirc October is one of the best times for it.

9. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys!
    I've made a list of places to go now :icon_bigg
    Central Park
    Museum of art
    Empire State (want to take the stairs to the top)
    9/11 memorial
    Times Square (my hotels facing onto it)
    Grand central
    South Street Seaport
    Wall Street (I'm interested in economics and may find something interesting)
    Rockefeller
    The botanical gardens

I probably won't go to the Statue of Liberty, I don't want to queue all day.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome :icon_bigg

10. blackandgold

Take a walk on the Highline and eat a macaron at Laduree.

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Madame Tussades

Art museums like, The Guggenheim, MAD, and MOMA.

The Stardust Diner. All of the waiters sing there. It has a very retro vibe.

Central Park. (It's gigantic)

The New York Botanical Garden.

A broadway play.

Even the movies theaters there are an unique experience.

The Rockefeller.

12. Candace

I like this list! Realize that Manhattan is only 26 square miles. It's not like you have to venture far to go to all of these places. When you say Museum of Art, you mean the MoMA (the Met)? When you say South Street Seaport, are you including the Brooklyn Bridge in that as one thing?