1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have become a "militant" gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So I am in a relationship with a guy who is fairly radical in his pink politics. Stuff like how he protests against homophobia from Russia, Religious institutions etc. he is pretty non caring about same sex marriage since he sees marriage as a hetrosexual institution that gay people are being assimilated into.

Anyway he took me to a protest outside the Russian embassy a while back, and I ended up making friends with a gay girl and a guy who are also into this, and well I guess I got radicalised as well to the point where I have been called a militant gay by this Catholic group who we were protesting against (they tried to fund ex-gay programs in colleges)

Although it is kinda funny, my Dad said that I make him proud standing up for what I believe in

2. SeaSalt

Its good that you stand up for what you believe in, besides, we have the moral high ground as long as we dont lose our way.
    [​IMG]

3. Candace

Your dad is absolutely right! If you don't stand up for your rights (and I guess ours too), then who will? Thank for your support and championing for the benefit of us. It really made me happy when I read about what you've done so far :slight_smile:.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Usually when I hear "militant gay", I think of those who, aside from being homosexual, talk about harassing, hurting, sabotaging, and even killing heterosexuals. I'd say, until you start entertaining those ideas, you're just a passionate gay, if anything.

5. King

Ye you sound quite militant, but its not particularly a bad thing if its channelled right.

6. awesomeness

The "militant" way of thinking is not my thing, but I think those types of people are an important part of the community because they get shit done. We wouldn't be where we are today with gay rights if it weren't for the "militant gays".

So I say keep it up if that's what you're into.

7. Beware Of You

Its possibly more of a UK term, it means very political and not passive. The Suffragettes would be militant feminists for example, Dan Savage would be a militant gay person as well. Richard Dawkins would be a militant atheist etc.

8. DamiansKat

DamiansKat Guest

If you fully believe in it then keep it up :grin:.

9. Hexagon

Sounds good to me. Injustice and homophobia don't get eradicated by asking nicely.

10. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, what everyone else said :lol: Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

11. Hexagon

Although personally I'd prefer the term radical queer.

12. Beware Of You

Fair enough, I just identify as gay more so I just feel comfortable embracing that label.

You are gender queer so I understand why you prefer that term.

I do actually use queer as a group term though, I also use radical, I said militant since thats what someone tried to call me as an insult

13. kem

kem

I prefer to use the word queer for describing oddities, unusual events and things, things out of place. //

Good for you :slight_smile: I have become more politically active, as well, though I haven't really done anything noteworthy yet. Hoping to join a protest one day

14. Hexagon

The reason I use queer is because I prefer to see us as a group movement. We're stronger united. And militant is fine, really, but some people would take it to mean converting heterosexuals.

15. Beware Of You

I guess both gays and lesbians are victims of the patriarchy enforced by religion (we challenge gender roles) and all LGBTIQ people suffer from ignorance like this

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others have said, it's good to stand up for what you believe in. Unless you're hurting people, you aren't militant. The people that say that are just trying to make you and people like you seem scary to others so that the can justify oppressing you.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

"Militant gay" sounds like one of the stupidest things they call us. "Oh, he refuses to be silenced and marginalized, what a militant gay". If that's all it takes, I'm proud to be a militant queer warrior, fighting stupid everywhere I go.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Militant means that you would engage in violence for the cause.

Radical would imply that you're willing to break extremely from the norm (and the average pro-LGBT rights activist)

I haven't seen you as particularly extreme at all; I feel that you're a strong activist, one who does their best, but I think it's not really accurate to use labels like that to describe peaceful activism.