1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterlife

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ashley2103, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Ashley2103

What do you think happens? Do you think you cease to exist when you die or?

2. Blossom85

I am one of the belief that your soul goes to heaven.. I am not very religious but I would like to think family that have been taken from me too soon are watching over us in heaven and are at peace.. For me it is a way of accepting my loved one has gone.. If I can believe they have gone to someplace good.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm of the belief that once you die, that's it. It would feel the same way you felt before your parents conceived you. You would feel nothing. Free from worldly suffering.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing. Your consciousness simply ends and you're done. Think back to before you were born. Do you remember anything? That's what it's like being dead.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't know.

I'm leaning towards the "when we die, that's it" thing. But I've had weird flashbacks of past lives as well. So, I don't know. But I don't really care either

6. Candace

I believe in some afterlife. I can't accept that there's just *nothing*.

7. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is no possible way I could know what happens when I die. I sincerely hope I don't just cease to exist as I rather like existing. It's difficult to imagine. Heck, I was sitting in my chair earlier today just blown away at the fact that I exist at all and that I am me. What makes me me, and you you? Why am I not you? How did I even get into this body? So many theories can come of these thoughts but the reality of the matter is that we will never really know what happens after we die until we die.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to think you do just cease to exist, the same way you didn't exist before you were born. Of course it's impossible to fathom, but that's what makes thinking about what happens after death so interesting :slight_smile:

However, there are times when I think reincarnation is a possibility. That would certainly be interesting...

I remember trying to think about that as a kid and giving myself a headache.

9. wallpaperwords

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually believe in reincarnation. Some time after i die, i will be reborn as another person

10. WearyWanderer

I find the whole concept of heaven to be very unrealistic. A nice concept, but I've never been able to take it that seriously. It just seems that, in a universe full of chaos and disorder, it seems far too neat and tidy.

I do think that the consciousness that was you ceases to exist. But then again, none of us really know, and I don't really care to be honest. It wouldn't really affect me that much anyway.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

ah yes the source of so much existential dread and anxiety for me, the thing that keeps me in so much despair and causes many lost hours of sleep. hello.

on the "it ends" camp. lights out. no more.

i am desperately waiting to be proven wrong but i have no hope for it, truthfully

12. DamiansKat

DamiansKat Guest

I believe in reincarnation.

13. Ryujin

I believe that after you die, the world just carries on going, but without you in it. You cease to think, to feel, to exist in any sense other than a lifeless corpse.

However, I see this more as a good thing. If there's nothing to go to after we die, then we only have our current lives to live and as such we must live them to the full, doing what we want without being judged by anybody else on our choices (except in cases such as crimes). I try to help people so that they can live better and I try to live and do the things that I want to do to achieve happiness.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To diverge from some deep philosophical answer, I'll say this:

The afterlife is one big line. You get in it, but it never moves. You wait in it, but it never moves. You try to talk to others, but it never moves, and the others don't either. You try to get out of the line, but you appear right back in it. You try again and again, but again and again you appear right back in it. You try to pass the time, but it never moves. You think everything possible, but it never moves. You get to the point, you resort to making immature noises to amuse yourself, but the line never moves. Finally, just when you're about to rip your own ears off, the line moves...

One person.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I share the same point of view.

That's why it's very important to live your life now, you only have one! :icon_bigg Make the best of it!

16. black-cat

I agree with this gentleman. It is just nothing- you cease to exist, it just ends.

....Though the spiritual hippie in my would like to believe in reincarnation, and maybe does a little, but I think a lot of that is how I was raised.

17. timo

I believe that when we die, we die. And that's it.

And if I die and it turns out there is some kind of afterlife it would be a nice surprise.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe when we die, we cease to exist. It is "the eternal sleep."

19. SomeLeviathan

I don't know. However, I tend to take the side of Schleiermacher that there is no eternal life.

20. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I sure as hell hope there is no afterlife.

Plain-English quote from a musician know for his unabashedly massive lexicon (Kevin Barnes, of of Montreal):

#20 Miles16, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014